Starting a wheel build. Tips/Suggestions?

Hey guys,

I have decided to build a wheel from scratch. It will be based on this year's MP4/25 steering wheel:
AML1023_1.jpg

(apologies for the big picture)

The couple of sticking points/questions before I start in mid/late October are:

1. What kind of wood is best (if it is the best material-bare in mind composites are difficult and expensive)? Theoretically, it should be as light as possible, but also strong enough to take the force feedback of a G27, having been scalloped to accept an SLI-PRO and buttons etc.
  2. How would I best go about making the handles? Suede/Alcantara? Rubber/silicone? Leather?
  3. The USB wire from the SLI-PRO, how is this best managed? Is it possible to route it through the wheel body itself? If not, how should I work it?
  4. How easy is it to modify the paddles on the G27? If it is difficult, how hard would it be to make paddle shifters on the wheel?
  5. On the above note, I am very keen on clutch paddles. Does anyone have some kind of tutorial on making them work reasonably well with potentiometers?
Cheers guys-it's a big project, and I look forward to sharing it with you all.

It'll basically be a tutorial as pictures are posted of the progress made-so don't worry too much.

It's actually quite simple to do this when you think about-it's just the monumental number of options that tends to screw with people's minds.

Upvote 0
I have a decent amount of rotary encoders now. I plan to have three on the front with two rotary switches for the display, but I would also like some in the thumb region, which would necessitate a smaller knob/dial. Do you have any idea where I might find some? I found a place that does mass orders only, like 1000+... wanna help?

Upvote 0
Don't worry, I was attempting to copy Zeljk Roso's idea, but he used normal pot knobs. Probably won't bother with them now-just the five encoders on the front.

Unless, of course, we come across some low profile knobs that would be perfect.

Upvote 0
So all I'm looking for now is the best way to make the handles.

While the bent perspex rods are a good idea, I don't really like the feel of them (I don't like the feel of perspex flat, but it's a heck of a lot easier to work with)

I could get some leather from the local market (or butcher my jacket), but leather gets sweaty easy.

Suede I like the feel of, and it's definitely hardy.

Bare wood is also an option-in the world's opinion, what is the best?

Upvote 0
I would use perspex rod to form the handles then cover them in suede, best option by far IMO. The perspex (solid rod) can be heated to bend well, will drill and tap too and will cover very well!.............Up to you dude, your project :)

Upvote 0
I have finalised a design! Based on the Audi R15, because a) it looks cooler and b)there was a better front on view to molest.

Untitled-1.png

I have a scale drawing of the SLI-PRO too, which I have pasted onto the printout. All I have to sort out now is the positioning of buttons and encoders. The hub will be in the bottom of the main body.

Upvote 0
Alrighty, got virtually everything, except the wood :( Dad's friend has a mounted jigsaw that I can use, which is awesome.

Brian, I have these switches: http://au.element14.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1638334

In terms of soldering-any terminal, or did I select the wrong thing entirely?

Also, anyone else looking to do a wheel of their own-for paddles, I have these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10075
sandwiched between a pair of these:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10073
The screws holding the two sets of parts together actually actuate (say that quickly) the buttons, so not only does it look sexy, but it's cheap too!

Upvote 0
Here's a pic of the crap I have:
IMG_0331.jpg

Brian, I think you missed a question in the last post-with those buttons, does any tag go for the ground and switch wires from the SLI-PRO, or do I need to follow orders?

Upvote 0
hey man your design looks pretty interesting im following this thread while i work on my own ferrari wheel =D i just got my email from leo saying my electricals have shipped.

oh and to throw some ideas at you i went with wood for my grips i plan to sand them down to shape then use pipe insulation and shave it down to have that somewhat spongy feel of a grip. i was also thinking leather or pleather if youve never heard of it its an imitation leather that looks almost spot on and costs 1/4th of what real leather does. take a look and let me know how you take your handles im curious! and im gonna start wiring my own stuff fairly soon so ill prolly shoot you a pm or two in the next couple days =P

Upvote 0
Hi Tom :)

You do need to use an ordered system for the earths/feeds, need a bit more info tbh, then I can help you, how many buttons/rotarys etc

Let me know and I can get you on the right track :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 195 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 380 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing