• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Standing start: how to?

Discussion in 'RACE 07 - Official WTCC Game' started by NickB, Nov 8, 2009.

1. NickB

NickB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys,

Thanks to your help and a bit of training, I'm starting to manage to keep those WTCC mostly on the track now. And even routinely win races against the AI (well... at 90% that is :) ). So it will soon be time to join the Racing Club :)

Before that, another question about a particular technique: the standing start!
    I find it very hard to nail down, being always passed by 2 or 3 cars in the second race. Do you guys have any advice? (what sort of rpm to use... how to sequence throttle and cluch......)
    I drive the Leon 07, and use a G25 with everything manual and all aids off.

Thanks!

Nick

2. Neil Tennant

Neil Tennant
    Banned

Ratings:
    +1
    FWD cars are a pain to get cleanly off the line, but try about 50% throttle in first with the clutch down, then let the clutch up smoothly when the lights change

RWD are 'easier' to get a clean start with, maybe upto 75% throttle instead of 50, just be careful with the power otherwise u will be facing the other way :bad:

3. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +16,383
    I rev it up until it almost hits the limiter and with autoclutch off i fire it away with my clutch pedal :D

4. Nathan Cullen

Nathan Cullen

Ratings:
    +0
    I use auto clutch (haven't got a clutch on my Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 FFB), and can never make a quick getaway.

Any ideas???

5. Bob Hutchins

Bob Hutchins

Ratings:
    +95
    I'm like Bram, throttle up just before the limiter and release clutch smoothly.

The best thing to do is just pratice it. It's a case of balancing the throttle and letting the clutch of smoothly. If you feel the wheels starting to loose traction then ease the throttle back a bit.

6. Dennis Phelan

Dennis Phelan
    more about staying on track. Premium

Ratings:
    +2,728
    Play with the clutch setting in Options-Control Settings-Advanced-Clutch Sensitivity, and play with the numbers. If you have the clutch on a button, tapping it after release can help but usually throttle modulation is best, as has been noted.

7. Rhys Gardiner

Rhys Gardiner

Ratings:
    +767
    I don't use the clutch at all when starting. All I do is start in Neutral, rev up until the engine's just bouncing off the limiter, then when the lights go out I shift into 1st and away I go. I usually ease on the throttle and keep the revs constant to make sure that I get as little wheelspin as possible. Nearly every race I've done using this has seen me grab a few positions off the line. :)

8. Michael Herrmann

Michael Herrmann

Ratings:
    +1
    i usualy rev it up close to the redline (depends on car) then i let the clutch snap on green light
    and adjust the throttle to keep the weelspin low as possible 8 out of 10 times its a run on the guys in front

9. Nathan Cullen

Nathan Cullen

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask if you're using 'auto clutch'? Also, what clutch sensitivity setting are you on?

Thanks

10. NickB

NickB
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks a lot, seems I just need a bit of practice then, time to schedule a 'standing start' session on a deserted track somewhere!

Good point Neil about the FWD vs. RWD issue, I tried an Aston Martin GT yesterday and starting was much much easier than in my usual Leon.

Oh and Rhys, please don't try this at home ;-)

11. Dietmar

Dietmar

Ratings:
    +43
    I used to 'auto-clutch' before, now I am in manual clutch mode, but the start is one f the few moments I use the clutch.

Before starting was bad, with the change to manual I improved significantly (my impression).

12. Nathan Cullen

Nathan Cullen

Ratings:
    +0
    Can I ask how I'd use manual clutch when I don't have a clutch pedal in my setup? (paddles only and only 2 pedals)

13. Attila Domján

Attila Domján

Ratings:
    +20
    You can assign a button for it too, works almost as fine as clutch pedal.
    I use the clutch pedal also only at starts, just to jump off from it when light goes green, and play with throttle. Same can be done with button too.

14. Kennett Ylitalo

Kennett Ylitalo

Ratings:
    +3,936
    I have clutch under a button also. Don't need it except in the start or when i spin. Which is often...

Starts in neutral, rev's to the limit and when the lights change pop in first and try not have a lot of wheelspin after the initial "kick". Usually i pick up two-three places in the start by that.

15. Jarrod Keen

Jarrod Keen

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit above average at standing starts relative to my peers that I race with. I can usually get a good start relative to the other 25 guys on the grid that i race with. Here's how I do it.

Rev to just over red line and watch the light. As soon as it goes green, I shift to first and even depress the throttle a little more.... then it's all about sensory input.... listen for the traction and the engine telling you to shift to 2nd. You may have to come off the throttle just a bit as your tires begin too much spin. You want optimal grip through this process but it still requires a lot of throttle.

Try this and see what you get.... i don't use clutch at all.

16. Nathan Cullen

Nathan Cullen

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys - will give it a go later ;-)