Squeeling tyres.....

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
Rookie question.....How worried should I be about the amount of squeeling my poor old tyres are doing as I jaunt around Zandvoort in my Arbarth?...am I causing a lot of damage to them?
Cheers

Rookie question.....How worried should I be about the amount of squeeling my poor old tyres are doing as I jaunt around Zandvoort in my Arbarth?...am I causing a lot of damage to them?
Cheers

In my experience these races barely put any wear on the Abarth tires so I don't think you should be worried even if you're doing a lot of squealing. As long as the fronts are staying above 97-98% (I rarely see them go under 99%) you should be good. :thumbsup:

Cheers

If you've still got default settings for your audio, I found the tire squealing to be incredibly excessive in every car. I don't recall exactly what the setting was - and I'm cooking some renders so I can't pop the game open to have a look at the moment - but there's a setting in the audio menu to delay the onset of the tire squealing. Something like 'tire onset' or something like IIRC. Turning that down a bit can get you to a reasonable level.

If you've still got default settings for your audio, I found the tire squealing to be incredibly excessive in every car. I don't recall exactly what the setting was - and I'm cooking some renders so I can't pop the game open to have a look at the moment - but there's a setting in the audio menu to delay the onset of the tire squealing. Something like 'tire onset' or something like IIRC. Turning that down a bit can get you to a reasonable level.
Yeah thanks....the setting is on the side apps...I was more concerned with how much damage my tyres were taking around Zandvoort as the squeeling seemed particularly noticable around that circuit...I'm guessing its something to do with the road surface (?).
Cheers

you can set in config file when tyres should squeel .. by changing one parameter you can set it to squeelin tyre = happy tyre, you are on the edge or squeelig tyre = you pushed too far ... you would have to google for that parameter, its been a while (and they could change it too) ...

He's not really asking how to adjust the tire squeal, he's asking if he's doing damage to his tires because they're squealing a lot. I raced the Abarth AC at Mugello last night and there were some turns there that induced a lot of understeer and tire squealing, my front tires took more of a beating than they usually do but after a half hour race I didn't really notice any performance degradation but they had dropped to 97% which is lower than I usually see them.

I thought it was just an arbitrary slider that let you decide if you want the sound to kick in earlier or later and had no real connection to actual tire wear.

That's correct, but if his concern stems from the amount of tire squeal, it could be because the tires are squealing more/earlier than they should.

That was my point, anyways.

I thought it was just an arbitrary slider that let you decide if you want the sound to kick in earlier or later and had no real connection to actual tire wear.
well if tyres squeal when they are overdriven than they are wearing more than when they squeal at optimum angle and speed .. I think :) at least that is how I imagine it should work .. something like when on real track when you are too fast with too much angle your tyres start "jumping" over side walls (if it makes sense) and you get nice sound and "force feedback" in your wheel (and body) telling you you are not really helping yourself, just killing tyres ... that pariticular FFB effect is missing in AC but I guess setting tyre squeal to that level could replace it ..

well if tyres squeal when they are overdriven than they are wearing more than when they squeal at optimum angle and speed .. I think :) at least that is how I imagine it should work .. something like when on real track when you are too fast with too much angle your tyres start "jumping" over side walls (if it makes sense) and you get nice sound and "force feedback" in your wheel (and body) telling you you are not really helping yourself, just killing tyres ... that pariticular FFB effect is missing in AC but I guess setting tyre squeal to that level could replace it ..

Right, if your tires are squealing they are wearing. So if you adjust the tire squeal slider so the squeal comes in later you're still wearing the tires at the same rate but you're not getting the audio feedback to let you know that they're wearing.

Aye...its not the actual sound that bothers me...its that I seemed to be getting more squeeling at Zandvoort than I normally do so was just wondering about the tyre wear...I have now added tyre wear values to my home made SimMonitor screen :)
Thanks guys

I recommend using an app like Sidekick to help get your ideal pressures, that will help with keeping the wear even.

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/sidekick.123608/

Right, if your tires are squealing they are wearing. So if you adjust the tire squeal slider so the squeal comes in later you're still wearing the tires at the same rate but you're not getting the audio feedback to let you know that they're wearing.
yep but there are (or used to be) values around on AC forums where you can set squealing to different leves ..

lower = happy tyre = optimal cornering = less wearing .. that was sooner than you start overwearing your tyres.
normal = on edge tyre = fastest cornering = more wearing
higher = sad tyre = uneffective cornering = excessive wearing

just little que/cheat for easier times on track ... and I completely forget what was original question :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back