Springs and Dampers

Hi :)
Overall spring and damper stiffness is a bit of a mistery to me. In general I know whether I need more stiffness to the front or the rear to balance the handling of the car between over- and under-steer.
But I find it very difficult to know whether the "all-around" level of stiffness is ok, or too soft, or too stiff, for both springs and dampers. Sometimes I just decrease or increase everything by the same amount (in proportion), and I find my lap times improving or deteriorating, but I don't really know why and cannot feel such a big difference in the feeling of the car.

I know the setup guides say "if the car is not responsive enought, stiffen", or "if car is too nervous or lacks grip, soften", but all those notions are relative. Lacks grip compared to what? Cars could always do with more grip, right? And what is a car that is "not responsive enough"? How do you assess that?

So anyway, if anyone has a good rule of thumb to figure this one out, could they let me know because it puzzles me a bit, and I believe I could probably scrape out 0.3-0.5 sec per lap if I had a better understanding of that.

Thanks!

All of the suspension settings is relative to your drivingstyle.
Im also new to simracing and havnt learn all yet about the setups, but i agree on a good spring setup can make wonders happen :)

Quoting a what JakeB posted on RSC.

Originally Posted by JakeB
Bumps and Rebounds: By "trial and error" i have noticed that the higher they go, the softer the car gets. WTCC cars' bumps and rebounds numbers are much lower than the F3000's ones so it is fairly easy to adjust them for optimum performance. Just try to put a difference of about 3 to 5 clicks between bumps and rebounds. It works better for most.

Springs: The higher they go, the stiffer the car gets. If you set higher spring in rear than front, the easier the car turns, but you have to deal with some oversteer some times. If you do the opposite, the car is slower in entry of the corner, but you can be earlier on the throttle for faster exit. It is all about your driving style which setting to prefer.

Toe-Ins: Those are for fast corners mainly as far as i know. Higher front toe-in than rear will make the car more agressive in the corners, a bit oversteering. Equal front and back numbers will make the car more neutral. Front -2.0 and Rear 2.0 is the standard for a reasonable handling, but according to the track this can change for even better one. Personally, i usually use higher front than rear toe-in in F3000, and higher rear than front in WTCC cars. But try to keep them arround those numbers.

It would be nice if also someone else could share his knowledge about this matter, so we can all get a better view, and learn something more.

Bump are responsible for the strength of the suspension on the upwards movement of the wheel, the higher the number is the stiffer your suspension.
Re-bound is the resistance of the suspension on the downwards movement of the wheel, towards the tarmac, the lower the number the easier the wheel gets back to the surface after it was up.

Slow versions of them are generally for cornering behaviour setting, fast ones are to handle small bumps, track uneveness, curbs, etc.

Hope it helps a bit for you.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 118 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 158 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 303 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing