rF2 Spirit of 76 @ Essington GP - Fri 15th July, 2011

rFactor 2 Racing Club event

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
So76.jpg
Server name: RACEDEPT.COM So76
Class: Spirit of 76 mod (Download) - Race 1 - Fiat X-1/9 Dallara | Race2 - Lotus Europa
Track: Essington GP (default track)
Practice1 start time: GMT 19.00 (20 min)
Quali1 start time: GMT 19.20 (10 min - 3 lap limit)
Warm-up1 start time: GMT 19.30 (3 min)
Race1 start time: GMT 19.35 (25 min)
-------------------------------------------------------------
Practice2 start time:
GMT 20.00 (20 min)
Qualification2 start time: GMT 20.20 (10 min - 3 lap limit)
Warm-up2 start time: GMT 20.30 (3 min)
Race2 start time:
GMT 20.35 (25 min)

Upgrades:
All allowed

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

[signuplist]191[/signuplist]

Misano times were pretty close across the 2 cars, but that is a pretty complex track. This ones a bit more grunt oriented, so I'll see how the times stack up here.

Someone explain the secret of driving the Lotus to me. The Fiat is easier to pick up, but I'm slower in the Lotus when it seems it should be quicker :(

The Europa has a fatter powerband, so you can pull from lower revs in higher gears. The Fiat's engine is a bit peakier, sometimes it feels like you are rowing it around by the gearbox.

The Europa also takes a lap or 2 longer to come on song with tyres etc.

Over driving the Europa will make things worse, but you can do pretty much anything to the Fiat without any real penalty in time. Sound familiar?

Think of it like the Elan & Mini 1310 in GTL. You can jump in the Mini and be right at it on lap1. The Elan takes longer to get it right, and needs a bit more adjustment of style, but is ultimately faster.

Having problems with the game loading the cars. May have to sign out if I can't get it solved.

Reinstalled the downloads and now it is working again?????

Another load of family nonsense tonight - my spin at the start was someone coming into my room and pulling my headphones off to talk to me, and it went downhill from there. :frown:

See you all next week.

Well, my first event with these cars, and to be honest i wasn't expecting much from them, but they've seriously become one of my favourite mods- right up there with the Cats. For me, the ffb feels spot-on, something which is very rare for me with most rFactor mods, as most just give you a vague feeling of grip loss, but this feels just 'right'. With a couple of setup tweaks i felt confident to attack the circuit, and Essington's fast sweepers suited these cars perfectly.

Now, onto the race(s). Race 1: Fluffed start, down to 4th with Jack pressuring me behind, Thommo spun at the 'corkscrew', and careered across the track and hit me (i saw him slide off, then lost sight, but knew his car was coming back somewhere!) but i was able to continue and chase Bob ahead. So for the rest of the race we indulged in yet another epic battle with the usual lack of contact, but always close. Unfortunately my shorter gear ratio or my earlier accident damage meant i was regularly a lot slower on the long straight and lost a few tenths there every lap making an overlap difficult to achieve. I kept at it though and would usually be right on his tail in the final sector, but Bob was equal to the task and wouldn't give me an easy chance to pass, and i wasn;t going to try a risky lunge. (that ain't how we roll, eh?!) So in the end Bob took the win. Well done sir, great racing!

With the Lotus in race 2 i got a slightly less terrible start, but was 3rd into turn 1 with Jack again giving me serious pressure into turns 1 & 2 with Bob & Chris P2 & P1 respectively. After following Bob for a lap or two i made my move exiting the long right-hander at the end of the straight and set after Chris, who made a mistake at the final turn and let me through. I now tried to eke out a gap to those two, but struggled a little until i clipped the kerb at the corkscrew and half-spun, allowing Chris through but just staying ahead of Bob. However a little later Chris spun and allowed me and Bob back through, and i got the foot down and built a small lead until the end of the race.

I thoroughly enjoyed these cars, they have a slight tendency to oversteer while on the limit, but nothing that can't be sorted with a 'dab of oppo'. And while following Bob in race 2 i witnessed the lovely Lotus's backfire animation systematically spitting flame from the exhausts which added a nice touch! I can feel a movie clip coming on here!

Thanks Thommo & RD, congrats Bob & Jack for podiums!

Well Rossco, what a lovely report mate. Yes these cars are the nuts & like you said the FFB feels just right also. After witnessing Ross's quali lap I thought I was in trouble but I thought a good start might just make it interesting. Again Rossco slow of the line so straight into the lead. Knew I had to get on it right away as Ross would be coming back. Indeed this happened & after some great laps he made the move but not to be outdone I stuck with him & got a great run on the back straight which aloud me to slip up the inside going into the the sweeping right hander. From here on in I kept it tight & mistake free but was sure Ross was biding his time for a late pass so as to make it stick but it never came as I could just get enough gap to prevent it happing so I secured the win. Thanks for another great race mate.

Race 2, revenge of the Rossco, lol. 3rd on the grid & another great time from Ross & Chris just in front by a 10th. Another great start got me ahead of Ross but Chris took the lead. After a lap or 2 Ross was up with us & I knew from his pace it was only a matter of time before the move for a pass was coming but in traditional Rossco style it was clean so down to 3rd. I stuck as close to the battle up front as I could just in case there was so free pickings on offer & after watching some intense driving by Ross & Chris it finally came when Ross spun out & not long after Chris too. Now in 2nd I tried to stay with Ross but he was just too quick so in the end had to settle for 2nd. Grts on a great drive Rossco.

Thx to Thommo/RD & sorry you had to leave us mate. Well done Jack for 2 podiums & thanks to all the guys that showed up for what was a great track & a beautiful mod.

Yes, i seemed to have taken an extreme dislike to those cones last night, i certainly didn't mean to hit them! What's really strange is that i hit 5 out of 6 first time, but managed to miss one?!

Great video Ross thanks !!

Great evening again, I like these cars a lot had two good races with Jack, chasing him but not get close to take him, great race Jack !!
Only with the Lotus I game close in the last laps of the race just to lose the car at they end of turn one an lost contact .

Thanks Stuart great track !! shame you have to bail out ...

As I write this report, there is a live mouse under/ behind my computer table that our new cat dropped off for us a few hours ago.
Always great to see the videos of races...... I always look for myself in there:cool:, does anybody else?

Loved both cars and this track Stu.
This track seemed to fit both cars in their own special way and with a little pracice I was able to get a real feel for them. Unfortunately my practice time for the Lotus was limited due to my own procrastination and come offical practice I never made a single timed lap but it was just one area that kept getting me, so I felt that during the race I could figure it out and I did to some degree. Obviously the Fiat was less demanding and more responsive but the Lotus was like a big tiger that had to be handled with care in the turns. Yes it is true that I made it to the podium but I think probably you have figured it out that staying on track while other faster opponents gathered DNF's was the reason, but hey, there is a lot to be said for consistancy. As for Hans, I still kept looking over my shoulder periodically all day expecting to see him trying to overtake me at fridge or the washroom. He made me faster and I don't know if he noticed how close I came several times to the edge of the curb of that turn 1. Wow :eek:

As for headset pulling relatives, we don't have that problem in Canada yet but with global travel it is most likely imminent.
WD Ross, Bob, for the firsts. Grats to all drivers. Nice selection Stu. Nice to see Marton aboard.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%