1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speed step bios setting, and its negative effects.

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Bez, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Bez

Bez
    All the gear, no idea...

Lately I've been struggling with poor performance in many games, having to reduce a lot of graphical settings to achieve smooth gameplay at 60fps+, after switching over to rfactor 2 on steam I was getting bad shuddering and stuttering of Ai cars, gutted!
    Last night I decided it was time to have a dig around in the bios and tweak some settings, last time I was in the bios was to default it after instability with an overclock, and this is where my problems must of begun.
    After scrolling through the various options I decided to start with disabling the OS control over speed step technology of the cpu, instantly Windows seemed more snappy, and on firing up rfactor 2 all the Ai issues were fixed, not only that but it felt oddly smooth, so I tried upping some graphics settings, long story short, I ended up being able to max out all graphics settings and it stayed above 60 fps even with 20+ Ai cars in a race.
    I replicated my experiments on other games and was able to achieve the same results.

2. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

It's a problem I've encountered in many games on both Intel and AMD CPUs. It's generally been considered bad form to leave that functionality enabled if overclocking for as long as I can remember (can't speak from personal experience on current Intel architecture). I tend to turn it off immediately after installing the mobo on my gaming machines whether I'm overclocking them or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bez

Bez
    All the gear, no idea...

It's crazy the difference it makes to performance, breathed a new lease of life into my crusty old PC.
    Happy dayz!

4. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini
    Premium Member

This is not the norm though, before everyone goes and deactivates their power-saving features :D