F1 2011 Spa - what am I doing wrong?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I'm in my first career season, driving for Williams, and I've been doing very well against intermediate AI, but the difference between intermediate and pro is still too big for me to switch difficulty. Right now, I'm doing practice at Spa (dry). I did so well in my last race (my very first wet-track win, by the way :) ) that I decided to set the AI to pro, but after a few practice laps, that was apparently a mistake :), so I restarted with intermediate.
Here's where my problems became all too apparent. Just for the record; I know Spa very well, so I know all the corners (if not by name). I've been banging my head against this "wall" of a track for the last day-and-a-half, and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried all kinds of different car set ups, and I've done everything I can to enter and exit the different corners properly, but I still can't beat the AI in sector 2. I've been googling around for solutions and looking at youtube vids, but now I'm starting to think that I'm just not good enough to get a decent time here. Disappointing to say the least... My best lap time is around 1.48.

What on earth can I do to get my lap times down?

Edit: I don't use any assists except pit assist...

I finally managed to get my lap time down to 1.47.xxx in qualifying, giving me pole position (still not happy with the time, though), and in the race my best time was just over 1.48 (no DRS and fuel mix 2), and I was very pleased with that. My team didn't impress, though, as they didn't give me enough fuel to complete the race (I used mix 2 from the start, but switched to mix 1 as soon as I noticed the "-2 laps"). I was in a comfortable lead until the engine started sputtering (if that's the right word) half way into the last lap. I barely managed to get second place at the finish line. 3 feet seperated second and third place!

On some tracks the AI times will be slightly out. I have done a pole lap beating legend AI by 2 sec at Spa and my engineer has said "you are losing time in sector two". So sometimes we need to say "just look at the lap time Ed" ( I call the engineer Ed as in Milliband due to his voice).
However I have raced good drivers who like a lot of wing at Spa and they find 2 sec in sector two and lose 1.5 in sectors 1 and 3.
If you run a lot of wing there you will get better sector 2 times. In quali you will have DRS open on the long straights anyway fo high wing is not a big problem. Just depend if you are tru to "parc ferme".
I prefer a little less wing than max at Spa in race conditions as they can't pass you in sector 2 but you can pass them in 1 and 3.

I have Fraps, so recording a lap wouldn't be a problem. Uploading the huge file to Youtube, however... :). I tried doing a few laps in time trial with the Williams to compare. The TT car has all the upgrades, of course, but I managed to do a 1.43.xxx IIRC.

Ususally I like lots of wing on my setups, but on this race I had them on 2-4, and I never would have thought that I would be able to get around the track with those values :). Worked like a charm, though...

Use free windows movie maker to encode the raw fraps video before uploading.

Once edited my 50% distance race highlight vids are usually 30 mins on average, recorded in Fraps @ 59fps using 50% size capture.

30 mins of raw Fraps weighs in around 20gb, once run through WMM Its about 1gb to 1.2gb encoded to 720p .wmv

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 104 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 146 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 278 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 405 40.1%