1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sourcing tubular clamps to secure Fanatec Handbrake

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Sk3ptik0n, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Sk3ptik0n

Premium Member

I have a Obutto Ozone cockpit and a fairly unique setup for my shifters. I just purchased a Fanatec Handbrake to make my Rally driving a bit more realistic than an on/off button and it dawned on me that I have no idea how to set up up in a way it can work with my cockpit.

Actually, I do have an idea, I need to place it right next to the wheel between it and my rotating shifter set up.
    To do that I'll need at least 2 tubular clamps, a couple of tubes and some way to then secure the whole thing to the handbrake in a way that remains minimally adjustable and down't end up in my lap if I become a bit... enthusiastic.
    Below is how my homemade shifter system is setup. As you can see when I want to switch between my H-pattern shifter and my Sequential (Thrustmaster and DSD respectively) I release a clamp I took from an old table lamp and rotate a piece of wood I screwed in the center of the Obutto's appendage.

This is how the H-pattern is clamped

Below is what it looks like when I transform it to sequential

And below is the sequential clamped in place.
    As you can see, there isn't much room to put a third peripheral in there without redesigning the whole thing and I like the ability to quickly (relatively speaking) switch my shifters.

For that reason, I cannot mount the handbrake on it since I would like to use it with both configurations.
    The best place I can think of is between the shifter and the wheel. It will be out of the way and very reachable while driving.
    I think the tubes that are part of the wheel support and the ones to the side of the pedals would do a good job of holding it in place and if that's not enough I can always try to hook up a third support from the site of the seat.

This below is the place I'd like to mount the handbrake at.

What I need is:
    • something that will be strong
    • Somewhat adjustable (1 or 2 inches, 10cm max would be OK)
    • Won't allow twisting or pulling
    • will allow me to either use a tube or a bar
    • Will not require drilling of the tubes or the Obutto table (as you can see, it is my mousepad)
    • That look remotely good enough not to be a total eyesore
    • Will not require fabrication beyond what a decent toolbox can provide.
    I have a clamp, hammers, drill, but not a forge or a way to solder.

I actually found some parts online that may work, but I would first rely on anyone that has had experience mounting these kind of peripherals and has already made the mistakes that I am doubtless going to make myself.

I live in the USA so a US supplier and one that won;n't quire me to spend more than I paid for the handbrake, would be appreciated.
    But anything will help. Ideally, I would like some sort of tube or bar that I can clamp at the Obutto and then I can drill and mount directly onto the handbrake.
    A solid metal clamp that allows me to clamp on the Obutto's tube and then bolt a metal bar to it would be ideal. I could then reach the handbrake, bent the bar a little and bolt it to it.
    If the clamp allowed 2 bolting points, even better, so I could use more bars to connect the handbrake to the cockpit.

I made a quick sketch on my computer (although, god only knows why I was too lazy to fire up Illustrator, Photoshop is terrible for these jobs). This is very rough, as if I had to point that out. It is really terrible, but I hope understandable.It should give you an idea of what I am thinking.
    Given more clamps, I can spread apart the joints a bit more, basically before I even sketch it properly I need to measure my cockpit, get the angles right and know what type of clamps are best to use. The obutto uses at least 2 diameter tubing. I haven't even measured that but I am hoping I can find some actual specs on it someplace.

Something like this may be better yet. I'll have to design in in 3D or some sort of projection to get a better grasp at it.

If any of you has some experience on this, I'd really appreciate the help.

Thank you.