Some doubts while making a setup

BhZ

Simdriver for Singularity Racing
Hey guys, I'm working on a setup for the BMW Z4 GT3@Monza. My best lap is 1.48.3 and apparently is a good lap, but i still have some doubts about some topics.
1)Speaking about camber, people told me that i must concentrate on the temperatures. To be more precise i must check that the difference between the inner temp and the outer temp is lower than 10 and that the mid temp should be between the 2. This works for the front tires, but what about the rear tires? What is the max difference in terms of temperatures for the rear tires?
2) I tried to use the medium tires and noticed that the right tires are colder than the right ones. Is it right to lower the right tires pressure to increase the temperatures? Even if the pressure between right and left tires is different? I noticed that during a lap the pressure in the right tires is between 30-31 psi, while the left tires are 32-33 psi.
3) Speaking about springs, it's not clear to me when to use stiffer springs and when to use softer springs. I mean, of course a bumpy track need softer springs, but Monza? Should i soften the springs for the 2nd Lesmo and the Ascari? The BMW Z4 GT3 have already soft springs i believe...

Hey guys, I'm working on a setup for the BMW Z4 GT3@Monza. My best lap is 1.48.3 and apparently is a good lap, but i still have some doubts about some topics.
1)Speaking about camber, people told me that i must concentrate on the temperatures. To be more precise i must check that the difference between the inner temp and the outer temp is lower than 10 and that the mid temp should be between the 2. This works for the front tires, but what about the rear tires? What is the max difference in terms of temperatures for the rear tires?
2) I tried to use the medium tires and noticed that the right tires are colder than the right ones. Is it right to lower the right tires pressure to increase the temperatures? Even if the pressure between right and left tires is different? I noticed that during a lap the pressure in the right tires is between 30-31 psi, while the left tires are 32-33 psi.
3) Speaking about springs, it's not clear to me when to use stiffer springs and when to use softer springs. I mean, of course a bumpy track need softer springs, but Monza? Should i soften the springs for the 2nd Lesmo and the Ascari? The BMW Z4 GT3 have already soft springs i believe...
1)It's hard to tell. They keep changing the way camber works in AC. In real life, rear temps should be all even. For a track with lot of traction like Monza. For medium, high speed corners you would maybe want to use a bit of more load under cornering on the rear too (add rear camber).

2) It's correct to even out the left and right tire pressure, to have the same on the fly. This means after 10 laps, Both left and right tires need to have 33psi each. So, Since left ones tend to increase more, they should start lower. Lowering right ones to warm up the tires, wouldn't really warm them up all that much and it would only cause further inbalance.

3)Stiffer springs help with faster corners and if the corners are long, as in if the chassis is under high load on one side for a long period of time. Not many of those on Monza, so it's not neccessary. However, don't go softest option, springs do help with braking too.

1) I added rear camber, but how much is too much?
2)So i should ignore the temps and work on the psi? Lowering the pressure of the left tires will increase heat and the stint will last less, right?
3)I will make some try with stiffer springs to see what happen. Will it affect the brake bias? Since weight transfer will change...
I'm sorry if i'm asking stupid questions but I really want to learn and in the last 2 weeks i improved. The guides usually don't say much. It's still a mistery how fast bump/rebound works.

I wouldn't go over -2.4 deg on the rear camber (actual value as the car stands on the track surface).

Tire temps and pressures are always a compromise, you must find the best fit. There are of course differences that you'll have to take into consideration given the type of race you're doing. You can go more aggressive for shorter stints etc.

Stiffer springs will work, I'll try to get some laps done with the z4 I haven't done any with the new patch.

Your questions arent stupid, in fact I wish more of you would ask these questions, they improve racing, game knowledge.

Well, i noticed that in this forum people keep asking about game problems or realism but no one actually ask information about cars. Maybe the average driver is better than me.
Anyways i made more tries. Stiff springs give me (i think):
1)Less braking distance
2)agile car during turns, better turn exit?
3)braking stability?
The time is the same that i achevied with soft springs, which i find weird, probably because of my inexperience.
I was thinking about tires and i'm a bit confused: we know that the right tires in monza are less hot than the left ones. Now, the pressure change when the temp change. If i lower the psi on the right tires i will have higher temperature (still lower than the left tires) and ofc lower pressure. If i increase the pressure i will have an even colder tire but the same pressure as the left tires. How do i handle this problem?
I tried to work on fast bump/rebound to be more aggressive on the curbs of the chicanes, but the time is a little higher, so i believe i shouldn't take them. I even noticed that the 2nd Lesmo should be done without hitting the curb. I'm not sure i actually set the best braking bias, had some problems understanding the right value. Speaking of toe i didn't understand if in Monza i need turn in ability or more grip in the centre of the turn, it's still a mistery.
P.s. I was using the RSR app to understand what was a good time in monza, but i noticed that most of the times are pre-patch, which mean they should not be considered. I can't understand if my setup is good or just average.

Last edited:
Everyone thinks they're a GT racer these days, or owns a LaFerrari and knows exactly how it puts the power down etc. anyway, that's another kettle of fish...

After the patch the cars are now faster due to some fixes, and maybe BOP, to the tires/physics. All GTs should be able to reach low 48s and 47s in qually trim, maybe even in races as well.

It's late here, I'll look at your post some more tomorrow. Have fun practicing :D

1) I added rear camber, but how much is too much?
2)So i should ignore the temps and work on the psi? Lowering the pressure of the left tires will increase heat and the stint will last less, right?
3)I will make some try with stiffer springs to see what happen. Will it affect the brake bias? Since weight transfer will change...
I'm sorry if i'm asking stupid questions but I really want to learn and in the last 2 weeks i improved. The guides usually don't say much. It's still a mistery how fast bump/rebound works.
1) Camber, particularly at the front, not only affect tyre temp but gives also trasversal thrust to the car when steering, and affects transversal grip. Start around -3° at the front and half at the rear, then tweak it according to your driving behaviour.
2) Definitely you should not ignore temperatures, tyre grip heavily depends on tyre temperature, so concentrate on tyre pressures only if the tyre are inside their operative range. Lowering tyre pressure can increase (slightly) tyre temperature only if the tyre is maintained under severe load and slip angles for a lot of time (drifts or so me particular tracks like ovals, definitely not in Monza).
3) Stiffening springs will affect car balance, but brake bias is much related to slow bumpers because they act in the initial bite, when springs are not compressed and then give no load to the chassis. However you pay it in corner entry because the car rolls less, but nonetheless it's more reactive in the Variante Ascari.
It's all a matter to find a decent compromise.

Everyone thinks they're a GT racer these days, or owns a LaFerrari and knows exactly how it puts the power down etc. anyway, that's another kettle of fish...

After the patch the cars are now faster due to some fixes, and maybe BOP, to the tires/physics. All GTs should be able to reach low 48s and 47s in qually trim, maybe even in races as well.

It's late here, I'll look at your post some more tomorrow. Have fun practicing :D
It was late here too ;)
The problem is that i really can't understand what i can do better for the car handling. Probably the toe is something that could help me but i don't really know what i should try to achevie. Of course there is my own driving skill that matters when talking about laptimes, but that depends on me.

1) Camber, particularly at the front, not only affect tyre temp but gives also trasversal thrust to the car when steering, and affects transversal grip. Start around -3° at the front and half at the rear, then tweak it according to your driving behaviour.
2) Definitely you should not ignore temperatures, tyre grip heavily depends on tyre temperature, so concentrate on tyre pressures only if the tyre are inside their operative range. Lowering tyre pressure can increase (slightly) tyre temperature only if the tyre is maintained under severe load and slip angles for a lot of time (drifts or so me particular tracks like ovals, definitely not in Monza).
3) Stiffening springs will affect car balance, but brake bias is much related to slow bumpers because they act in the initial bite, when springs are not compressed and then give no load to the chassis. However you pay it in corner entry because the car rolls less, but nonetheless it's more reactive in the Variante Ascari.
It's all a matter to find a decent compromise.
The camber atm is set to -3.5 and -2.5. Temperatures are controlled and seems that i am faster with those settings.
Tires temperatures are high on the left tires when using soft tires, but in range when using mediums. Right tires are below the perfect range.

The camber atm is set to -3.5 and -2.5. Temperatures are controlled and seems that i am faster with those settings.
Tires temperatures are high on the left tires when using soft tires, but in range when using mediums. Right tires are below the perfect range.
Right tires at Monza will be under heated. There is little to no fast left hand corners (only variante ascari), so it is to be expected.
Talking about a single lap, you may want to use more pressure with the softs to avoid overheating and gain a little bit of top speed.
About the camber, I tend to run low camber setups, because my turn in isn't aggressive and I prioritize mid corner grip. I haven't done any laps at Monza for a long time so I really can't tell what would be a good value.
Regarding the suspension, I would run a assimetrical setup at Monza because of the huge amount of right hand corners. Generally I would put stiff springs at the right and soft ones at the left. Do some experimentation and see what fits best your style.

This is the kind of question we need to kill those negative trends about the game. And I find it way more productive and fun to talk about actual driving than some minor issues (?) with the game.

Don't be afraid to ask those kind of questions. THEY ARE NOT STUPID:).

Reactions: Si
Right tires at Monza will be under heated. There is little to no fast left hand corners (only variante ascari), so it is to be expected.
Talking about a single lap, you may want to use more pressure with the softs to avoid overheating and gain a little bit of top speed.
About the camber, I tend to run low camber setups, because my turn in isn't aggressive and I prioritize mid corner grip. I haven't done any laps at Monza for a long time so I really can't tell what would be a good value.
Regarding the suspension, I would run a assimetrical setup at Monza because of the huge amount of right hand corners. Generally I would put stiff springs at the right and soft ones at the left. Do some experimentation and see what fits best your style.

This is the kind of question we need to kill those negative trends about the game. And I find it way more productive and fun to talk about actual driving than some minor issues (?) with the game.

Don't be afraid to ask those kind of questions. THEY ARE NOT STUPID:).
Never thought about different values from right to left spring. Could you be a little bit more precise about that? I mean, why would you do that? Changing springs, what should i do with height?
It's good to see that this kind of questions are appreciated.

@BhZ
Basically as Monza is a track where right hand corners are prioritized, for a single lap you have to keep this in mind. The car needs to turn right better than it does turn left, especially considering the left hand corners are the exit of ascari (almost a straight) and Parabolica (low speed).
Ride heights can be the same on both sides, as it will help stabilizing a car with a lot of downforce like a GT3. Playing around with the dampers and suspension travel is the way to go. Try to use low suspension traven in the right and tight dampers, while using the opposite on the left side of the car.

@BhZ
Basically as Monza is a track where right hand corners are prioritized, for a single lap you have to keep this in mind. The car needs to turn right better than it does turn left, especially considering the left hand corners are the exit of ascari (almost a straight) and Parabolica (low speed).
Ride heights can be the same on both sides, as it will help stabilizing a car with a lot of downforce like a GT3. Playing around with the dampers and suspension travel is the way to go. Try to use low suspension traven in the right and tight dampers, while using the opposite on the left side of the car.
I'll make some tests tomorrow and see what happens. I never touched the suspension travel cause i didn't understand what change in terms of handling.

Ok, so...I don't know if i actually drove better than yesterday or what, but with the "asymmetric setup" i improved. I went from 1.48.365 to 1.47.688. I had to make many tries to improve, probably to understand better the handling of the car but i'm quite satisfied. The only problem is a little understeer in the right turn of the ascari, but i can handle it.

Last edited:
If you don't mind i will create a new post or i will continue with this one to prepare the next race. Since i will race with the 1992 dtms you may help me with a different kind of car with a totally different handling. Should i create a new post?
P.s. Thank you for your help, i won the race. Analizing the car during the race, the tires were almost gone after 26 laps in monza with the medium tires. The setup was quite oversteery since i prefer those kind of cars. Anyways never had a problem during the race. Thanks again.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.2%