Soft lock?

Is there Any option to activate this? Or isnt implemented yet? Thought 1.3 was the release for this but dont see anything in game and I Can turn 900° the g27 with every car...

I thought AC sorted the DOR automatically for each car?

It does, but I imagine what the guy you are responding to implied with his comment, is how do you get the proper DoR for each car... including the soft lock where it should be.

This has been a common complaint ever since AC launched 2.5 yrs ago, and is frankly mind boggling that Kunos hasnt properly implemented the feature.

Of course, you are correct that the DoR is taken care of by the game, it just doesnt give you a soft lock at all. No real way to do that aside from going into your wheel's control panel and manually setting the DoR to a lower value. However, you will need to do that for every single car then, and that is one hell of a pain in the ass. So nearly everyone doesnt do that.

I'm going nuts with this. It's not possible (for me) to drive any car without feeling the lock.. as that's what muscle memory takes into consideration when "learning" to work the car. It's not realistic either. I don't understand why Fanatec doesn't supply API so any software can set SEn as if you turned the SEn knob yourself. It should be THAT easy. It seems the only people not having an issue are the ones who drive cars that utilize 100% DOR.

If you need lock "learning" to work the car you are doing something horribly wrong unless maybe you are a drifter then... you are still doing something wrong:laugh:
Not really. Almost all the steering settings for KS cars are wrong.

Any car that I drive I edit the data.acd to reflect the correct turning ratio of the car.

For me this is the single most frustrating and unrealistic thing in AC. When I drive an in game car that I have driven in real life and the steering feels all soggy and the front all vague I either edit the car or delete it.

Strange how they get so many things right but the most basic feedback loop so horribly wrong.

Its almost as if they have coded with a controller in mind ;)

Not really. Almost all the steering settings for KS cars are wrong.

Any car that I drive I edit the data.acd to reflect the correct turning ratio of the car.

For me this is the single most frustrating and unrealistic thing in AC. When I drive an in game car that I have driven in real life and the steering feels all soggy and the front all vague I either edit the car or delete it.

Strange how they get so many things right but the most basic feedback loop so horribly wrong.

Its almost as if they have coded with a controller in mind ;)

Don't be coy now, share the correct values with us. Or at least specify the cars that have incorrect ratios.

Don't be coy now, share the correct values with us. Or at least specify the cars that have incorrect ratios.

RT12 AWD for one. C7 Stingray, A number of euro sedans that have speed sensitive steering IRL, and even 1 or 2 race cars that definitely should have quicker steering than portrayed.

I have a simple test, take the car to a slow track with an acute angled corner and see if you can make it around at lower speeds. The frustrating thing is that they got seem to have got everything else correct yet botched the steering response.

It could be that they only beta test the cars on higher speed tracks with uber grip options and so never feel the vagueness at that stage.

Not really. Thread was about soft lock.
Which is a poor way to try implement varying steering ratios between cars.
With or without softlock, the steering ratio for many cars is not implemented correctly, which means to get the correct feel you have to artificially adjust the steering ratio in car.ini file.

Without opening that 'but its not really a true sim engine if you have to tweak each car" argument, the fact you must go to a config file to tweak the physics model results for each car in order to set the feel shows something is not right somewhere :)
By manipulating the settings below I am able to get any car to feel 'just right'.

[CONTROLS]
FFMULT=1.9
STEER_ASSIST=0.40
STEER_LOCK=520
STEER_RATIO=18
LINEAR_STEER_ROD_RATIO=0.00240

lol. sure. speed sensitive VGR is still extremely rare, no AC car has that in real life afaik. angle sensitive is also pretty rare and I would guess is missing in AC on a handful of cars at most.

Whatever you think you need to do for every car for them to feel "just right" still has nothing to do with soft lock but good luck with it

lol. sure. speed sensitive VGR is still extremely rare, no AC car has that in real life afaik. angle sensitive is also pretty rare and I would guess is missing in AC on a handful of cars at most.

Whatever you think you need to do for every car for them to feel "just right" still has nothing to do with soft lock but good luck with it

Uhm pretty much any car with an ECU, ABS and some sort of active handling has variable rate steering assist.

The Corvette had it in 1997, most euro sedans have it - the idea that power steering is helping at slow speeds and not at high speeds is pretty much universal in the modern (post 1990) car world.

The reality is that at the speeds above 60mph almost every car has a quicker responding steering system in real life compared with this game.

Uhm pretty much any car with an ECU, ABS and some sort of active handling has variable rate steering assist.

The Corvette had it in 1997, most euro sedans have it - the idea that power steering is helping at slow speeds and not at high speeds is pretty much universal in the modern (post 1990) car world.

The reality is that at the speeds above 60mph almost every car has a quicker responding steering system in real life compared with this game.

Oooook so now it's about variable steer assist and not steer ratio :roflmao:

You have no clue what you are talking about do you? or trolling. Either way I wasted enough time already. Bye bye

I have thousands of real world laps on real race tracks with real cars.

I am also an accomplished programmer and personal use game modder.

I do know what I am talking about.

The feel you get behind the WHEEL in a real car needs to be replicated by what you feel behind the WHEEL in a game or it is not a very realistic game.

This is me driving an AWD RT12 on a track in anger. Trust me when I tell you the default AC settings for steerimg in the in game AWD RT12 do not feel the same as the real car.

What are you basing your opinion on? I am basing it on REAL world experience. When I say I know what a Yellowbird and an RT12 feel like on track I actually know.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing