So how does this game stack up to Asseto/Rfactor2?

Hi guys,

Reading a lot of good things about this game. I bought Rfactor2 but cant be bothered installing all the add ons. ALso, single player content is missing. Asseto is nice, but mostly non-F1 cars. This game, though has much of the cars I was waiting for. Proper V10s, V12s and some more hirtoric cars. My question: is it worth the buy? How does it stack to the other games? Any news when it comes back to Steam?

Btw, I raced Codemasters f12013 a lot of times, and earlier modes (hate new V6turbos, so havent bought any since) and then I installed F1 challenge 99-02. Will you believe that 14 year old game has better physics than Codemasters F1xxx titles? I couldnt believe how stiff the car was handling, and how soft it feels in the codemasters game. How does Automobilista feel?

Sure worth buying ... personaly I would put it over AC ... sounds, FFB, feeling, arguably physics .. all subjective though .. and I enjoy both, but if I really had to choose one ..

With rF2 it is hard ...I`m trying to like that game so much, I like FFB, I like physics, but lack of original content and mods not being that great (at least what I`ve tried) .. sometimes it feels wrong .. not gonna argue about physics complexity, no point doing that but as far as putting physics into some playable form AMS wins for me here too ..

If AMS gets AI improvement, there is not much you can say against it (if you are fine with a bit exotic content) ... specialy with things that are on the way ..

It comming back to steam could be week, could be less could be more, from what I understand .. no not really any specific date :)

Sure worth buying ... personaly I would put it over AC ... sounds, FFB, feeling, arguably physics .. all subjective though .. and I enjoy both, but if I really had to choose one ..

With rF2 it is hard ...I`m trying to like that game so much, I like FFB, I like physics, but lack of original content and mods not being that great (at least what I`ve tried) .. sometimes it feels wrong .. not gonna argue about physics complexity, no point doing that but as far as putting physics into some playable form AMS wins for me here too ..

If AMS gets AI improvement, there is not much you can say against it (if you are fine with a bit exotic content) ... specialy with things that are on the way ..

It comming back to steam could be week, could be less could be more, from what I understand .. no not really any specific date :)

Thank you! I can still buy it via Reiza website, so ill check it out tomorrow.

Never playid AC, but I have spent long hours on Iracing, rf2 and RRE, and in my opinion AMS has the better physics/ffb, they are just beautiful. You receive a lot information of what is going on with the car, and you need to adjust your driving style with the progression of the session, the steering inputs you need to do, to control the car feels very realistic.
You will have a different experience with every car, but the biggest advice I can give you, is to loose some time and read the forums and Reiza notes to have the correct settings for your wheel, for example, if you have g27 like I do, the formulas will feel very light at lower speeds, but after you adapt to that it feels very nice.

"How does Automobilista feel?" jack this is the number 1 reason for AMS. It is an enjoyable feeling. It is predictable. You will be able to read a thousand things about real feeling and how a sim can never be real because you cant feel the whole car's momentum, when it starts to slide, etc and of course that's true. But if you think that you want something is predictable and therefore enjoyable because you can learn from what it tells you via its feeling feedback then you should give AMS a try.

I'll admit I'm a fan so bear that in mind as everyone has different tastes. For example I can really enjoy a race at Mt Panorama on Project Cars, the graphics really are good and I can get immersed, but I keep going back to SCE and now AMS because it gives me a bigger smile because of how it feels.

I have clocked up 1400 hours in AC and still play it but once I played AMS I was hooked, it feels amazing and the multiplayer netcode and collisions are brilliant. It is my game of choice at the moment.
try the metal moro at any track, damm I love that car:)

AC feels like a more advanced physics engine but has gremlins in it that leave me wanting as well as the fact that its Euro focused F1 circuit track list and litany of less than interesting cars barring some of the more exciting GT and super cars is not what gets me going in the morning. Also AC lacks a fully fleshed out package for actual race simulation so you're more limited in what you can do with those still excellent physics. FFB has improved but goes back and forth as they continue to tweak.

rF2 feels like a next gen physics engine. It feels more advanced than all the rest and feels like in terms of where the rubber hits the road and everything attached to it (ie. the car) just transcends to a new level of complexity. Complexity however isn't everything and that complexity makes the mod community sparse owing to the difficulty of using the tire model and its got a real paucity of quality stock content to boot making it much more of a sub par buffet where you think you have a few dozen options but you always go back to the same few because most of it just isn't up to its own standards. However what is good is beyond excellent. Their best is arguably better than any other sim's best or at least as good as.

Enter AMS/SCE. Not the best at most things. Its developer, Reiza, is like a savant growing up around giants. Early entries were like undergrad work, SCE more like a stunning sophomore performance and AMS checking in as the graduate thesis on working with the still relevant gmotor2 game engine of rFactor fame. What you get with AMS is hands down the most polished, feature rich, and engrossing content package of any currently produced sim. There are hardly any let downs on the list of cars. Sure much of it is a sleeper, something you've never heard of and can't muster much emotional joy over... until you drive it. Fine they don't have Silverstone, they don't have the Nordschleife but they do have a list of car and tracks you've never driven before and what you have driven you probably haven't driven with such excellent feeling in.

Many malign the list of South American tracks (while quietly ignoring the list of excellent familiar GP circuits as well) but what you get is a collection of excellent courses and fresh experiences. I'm glad I know what Cascavel and Floripa and Taruma are. I'm glad I'm not just puttering around Copse and Maggots and Abbey and all the rest over and over again. That said what is there that's familiar, like Interlagos, is as well done as any other version, laser scanned ones included. With cars its no different. The Brazilian stock car V8s and the Copa Marcas cars are surprisingly fun, the former more like a DTM and the latter like some kind of ungodly enjoyable FWD car that makes for excellent spec racing. In between is a taste of almost every kind of motorsport imaginable from the entry level Formula Vee that'll teach you everything about modulating brakes and lift off oversteer, to the punishing fixed diff SuperV8 that'll do similar lap times to a Stock V8 but in a totally different way, dynamic and wild. In open wheel you get a taste of GP racing in every decade with a 60s entry soon to arrive (leaving us wondering if anyone will ever do a high qual version of the 50s). Even now we've had Super Trucks introduce us to how gyroscopes matter in racing (somehow) and Rallycross introducing loose surface racing with promises of improving the features to support point to point rally.

Its hard to look at AMS and not wonder about how so much diverse content could be so good, but it is. They've taken an old gem and polished and manipulated it beyond what almost everyone else has done and with Reiza17 coming next year we should expect that to end up being like their post graduate offering taking what we know and love to another level perhaps finally settling some of the endless complaints of graphics. If one thing fails its graphics but its only failing in terms of impressing some of the pickier people. What we have is utilitarian, clean, tidy, and more than good enough for racing. In fact many prefer its cleaner look, but we all look forward to a buff on lighting I think.

All in all AMS is my go to sim. Its the one I can't put down and its the one I'll probably flog to death until the next iteration comes along. As far as I'm concerned AMS owns the mantle of best value for money in all of sim racing. Whatever your favourite sim is everyone should own this one.

I can't say much over AC/Rf2, but i played hundreds of hours in RRE, because of the graphic, but in terms of the physics and feeling i prefer Reiza's touch. It feels so much more directly with every car, also the old ones.

And the AMS ai has the best collision avoidance and collision physics. I can touch the cars beside me on starts and critical overtake moves, no problem.

Last edited:
In my experience, here's how I feel AC and AMS compare.

AC wins in:
  • Graphics
  • Sound
  • Content quality and diversity (laser scanned tracks, officially licensed cars all beautifully replicated).
  • General car dynamics and a better tyre model (however flat spotting in AC is too forgiving).
AMS wins in:
  • Multiplayer functionality (timed races, reverse grids, formation laps, safety cars, proper pitstop simulation, pitlane limiters etc.).
  • Much easier to set up a server.
  • Day/Night cycle and working headlights to allow for night racing.
  • Vastly better netcode (AC's collision Netcode in MP is horrendous).
  • Penalty system
  • Much more realistic flat spotting.
  • Brake, oil and engine temperature simulation.
  • Brake and engine wear simulation.
  • Way more Gridslots available for much larger grids.
When comparing to rFactor 2:
  • Graphics & Sound
    1. AC
    2. rF2
    3. AMS
  • Cars and tracks
    1. AC
    2. AMS
    3. rF2
  • Physics and FFB
    1. rF2
    2. AC/AMS dead heat.
  • Multiplayer
    1. rF2
    2. AMS
    3. Daylight
    4. AC
  • Overall simulation of racing
    1. rF2
    2. AMS
    3. AC

Last edited:
Don't wanna argue as it is subjective but still :) putting AC rather very bad in better cases bearable sounds over any other sim, specialy AMS when probably only R3E has better sounds than it?
Funny how differet we all are :)

EDIT: oh sry I didn't realize that today is April 1st :rolleyes::p

Last edited:
It all depends on how it feels for you because if you compare stuff on the technical side no other sim simulates better than rF2 at this moment (especially the weather conditions).
I prefer AMS because it feels good but mostly because rF2 modding comunity is too small and modding in that platform is not as easy as it was in rF. (I also didn't join a rF2 league yet, online racing with it is better but didn't find a good league on saturdays).
rF2 also feels great once you learn how to deal with the real road so I'd say they are both great sims on different aspects.
AC... idk, every time I tried it (after every patch) I unninstalled after 30 minutes.

Guys, I am still 100% confused why so many people like AC when the multiplayer is so not even close to RF1/SCE/AMS & RF2? I feel like the whole point of sim racing is to have online championships and, as far as I know, that is still hardly possible in AC. Am I missing something?

I was SO excited about AC when it came out, we told our league we were going to AC and we had many of them buy it. But the multiplayer was so bad and the server/admin side was such a joke. I gave up on it long ago and we went to SCE and now are going to AMS soon. Really, am I missing something?

Last edited:
Guys, I am still 100% confused why so many people like AC when the multiplayer is so not even close to RF1/SCE/AMS & RF2? I feel like the whole point of sim racing is to have online championships and, as far as I know, that is still hardly possible in AC. Am I missing something?

I was SO excited about AC when it came out, we told our league we were going to AC and we had many of them buy it. But the multiplayer was so bad and the server/admin side was such a joke. I gave up on it long ago and we went to SCE and now are going to AMS soon. Really, am I missing something?
Because as I said in Reiza forums: "Graphics are like sex: it sells or helps to sell a product"
If rF2 had a Project CARS style graphics and kept the modding as much as rF1 as possible ISI wouldn't have problems with lack of content from moders.
I'm sure Reiza is aware of this for their next sim, Renato said UE4 is one of the possibilities they are playing with

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 297 13.4%