Snaefell Mountain Course

Tracks Snaefell Mountain Course 0.5

Login or Register an account to download this content
Still enjoying this beast of a track. It's actually inspired me to learn more about the TT and get to properly know the track, history, etc. I can now see how the riders would get addicted to this layout although I still can't believe they race around there at those speeds, just absolutely mind blowing.

Agree with a previous post that this is simply an epic track. Not many tracks have grabbed me like this and I think it's due to its unique high speed layout with so many challenging corners and sequences. Corners like Ballagarey, Doran's Bend, Drinkwater Bend, Barregarrow, Verandah, Hillberry, etc, and super fast technical sections like Kirk Michael to Ballaugh and Ginger Hall to Ramsey. For most of the track you can't even make a small mistake or it's over in a big way so it really keeps you on edge. I've managed a sub 16 min in the LaFerrari which was a lot of fun. Watching a few of the on boards I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the accuracy of the version to date.

Great to hear the author is still working on it and very much look forward to driving the next update! Definitely agree it will be a legend of a track once finished.

Cheers for all these comments. I am indeed still working on it. Yesterday I finished a couple of new buildings to go in the Bray Hill area specifically, and will be useful elsewhere. It would be good to know what others think are the most important things that are currently missing. The corner boards come to mind...

I know it is a bit much to ask but fences which hinder you of going of track would be nice. The boundaries which are there now function more as ramps which catapult you in the air. And, but I think this is a problem of RTB, the holes in the floor outside of the track are annoying when you have to get back to the pits when you go offtrack

There is a new feature in RTB which does this. I added a small section in the pit area to see if it had any effect on the AI which still dive off the track, but so far no joy. It'll be a bit of work to go round the full length, but I'll put it on the to-do list

Agree that physical objects like fences, stonewalls, hedges, lamposts right next to the track that are solid boundaries causing damage if you hit them will be great as it will stop you over shooting corners and be more challenging but it's no doubt a mammoth task to do that around the whole track.

Visually it's making it more claustrophobic with dense trees leaning over and hedges right on the edge of the track most noticeable in the Ballagarey to Glen Helen and Rhencullen to Ramsey sections but again realise it's a massive job so it's probably something that can slowly get filled in over time. Also the fence line along the mountain section would add to the immersion and help with brake points etc.

One thing I don't know if it's there is Ago's Leap? It may be but just doesn't seem as noticeable as it is on the on boards.

Anyway, I'll appreciate whatever more you to add to it! Thanks again for your efforts.

Most of the stuff close to the track borders (should) have collision detection already. I don't know Ago's leap, I'll have to look that one up... If it has a name, it goes in!

I don't know if this is possible, but if you do a visual upgrade of the hedges, please put the collision mesh like ~30cm inside of it, so that you can still, in rally fashion, "cut" it a little into it.

Hi, great project! got a lot of stuff to do yet! good luck with it, and patience ;) . A little hint according to your progress, i don't know if you are using a physical mesh apart from the visual road mesh, but i think maybe it's too bumpy, did you made these bumps with a bump map and some displacement modifier? I understand this track is bumpy, but these microbumps are making my G27 rattle perpetually, i think these bumps are too deep. Anyways, nice track, keep up the work!
Cheers!

Hi, great project! got a lot of stuff to do yet! good luck with it, and patience ;) . A little hint according to your progress, i don't know if you are using a physical mesh apart from the visual road mesh, but i think maybe it's too bumpy, did you made these bumps with a bump map and some displacement modifier? I understand this track is bumpy, but these microbumps are making my G27 rattle perpetually, i think these bumps are too deep. Anyways, nice track, keep up the work!
Cheers!
Hi William,

That seems strange, because for me the surface feels too smooth. I've tried adjusting the random bumpiness by the smallest amount possible in RTB, but the effect was just as you describe; it felt like I was on roller skates, so I reset it. What it really needs is a kind of bump map, but I have no idea if that's currently possible.

I use a G25 wheel, so the effects should be pretty much the same, unless we have game/controller settings that are different

Hi Les, I'm loving your TT efforts thanks for making this... Totally looking forward to future updates.

Until then I just had to create a working AI; I've recorded a replacement fast line (via a 135mph lap in the 911 RSR), plus attempted to add road edges via the awesome 'AI Line Helper' app (which I see you posted in the thread).
I might've tamed the bots a notch too many? [some of which was via ai_hints for the entire lap] But having just tested in a different car (the yeeha 919), I have a few things to consider for any changes.
This is my first AI 'mod' (normally a C++ coder, then a sim racer). Having only watched the 'AI Line Helper' video there's plenty more I need to research before any potential update.

Hope you don't mind me sharing AI for your version here, Les? I'm not sure when my next session will be, it takes a while making 75 miles of left/right edges...and then doesn't always want to save for me. But I kinda got there in the end!

Cheers, Jez

Zip contents should be extracted/merged with '.../steamapps/common/assettocorsa/content/tracks/'
included: fast_lane.ai, _hints.ini.
(quirky l/r side .csv files are available on request)

[JH AI v0.1.0] August 5 2017
Currently unable to iron out at least 1 edge tracking mistake (bouncing close to center of road and back to side).
[note: the above glitch has been slightly improved via an ai_hint]
[note: the 'AI Line Helper' has a feature to edit parts of the side lines, but I had no luck trying so far. instead I shall create a new 37.74 mile left edge...]
[note: the bots mess up / are slow / don't know the last section so well / ... because this was like "Hammond Alpha 001"
Future plans (depending on any response) might be a 'friendlier' race/fast line, redo edges, tune the AI via the app (hardly tweaked so far)

DOWNLOAD: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/...

EDIT: added as a resource here on Race Department
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/tt_ai_v0-1-0_-jez_hammond-zip.139192/

Last edited:
Well, the good news is that your AI line, along with the helper files I made works just about perfectly! There's just one spot at the top of Barregarrow where everyone goes way too fast. It just needs to find the right spot to add another line to the ai_hints file now

[note: just see your new fast_lane.zip posts, so I shall try cheers]

Thanks Les, it's great fun designing AI for the TT I'm having a blast!

It works but for sure is in need of an update. Each time I try stuff is revealing what the final plan will be. Something along the lines of - redo fast line with an absolute minimum of 1/2 car width between it and any side line.

I've just noticed the AI go off-line when the gap (between fast line and edge) is smaller, while trying your new track edges...it seems we need to cut corners (when possible, no kerb etc.) by up to 1/4 car width. This means that the current '135' fast line isn't always compatible with the new edges, so for now I've resorted back to the ones baked in. [I plan to edit them manually...]

I was going to record a new fast line with precision in mind, then aim for an AI closer to an actual ghost lap (remaining 100% on-line when alone). But instead of experimenting with re-recording, I instead started to develop a standalone editor. This so far renders the lines and flies a chopper-cam around (sweet!), next will be ability to adjust any point by hand. I also hope to extract the fast line and polish it up, add hazard areas / hints etc. all with the mouse.

btw: I was hoping to put out a minor update, but instead I suggest for now to edit the ai_hints.ini and change the VALUE (in hints 0 and 2) to 0.885, the current AI seem to like that with AC settings at 100%, 60% aggression, plus 1% variance.

Well,that was fun! I think I'll definitely need to play around with the levels to see what works best. It seems to work fairly differently with different types of car too. I like the sound of this new app as well

Indeed there was a great feeling in that session. Then the bots flew past The Raven!

My quirky edge lines are now uploaded to my dropbox's "TT" shared directory. Perhaps take a look at some of the edge corner cutting to see what I mean how the race-line is very close to the edge of the asphalt, so if the track limit is there too then the AI tries to keep 4 wheels on the road, effectively pushing it off-line. Either/both line(s) can be recorded further from apex to solve.

You seem to have the editing side of things totally under control, so I shall leave such things in your capable hands! But I shall continue to develop the editor as I think such a tool will allow adding of detail to flow. I also might record a new fast line which could be more ideal for tweaking it's magic.

Sneak preview of the app, as I test fixing my first major tracking glitch (before Union Mills).

Zoomed in, selecting a single waypoint
1.png

Zoomed out, glitched
2.png

After 'pushing' the glitch outwards with a wide brush, fixed
3.png

For sure the AI will already improve after just sorting the side-lines. But as practice increases over time I'm already finding the original ghost car (recorded at same time as the AI fast line) is vanishing...in the mirrors! 140mph RSR? ;)

I thought it was some ai- line mistake that the ai pitted after nearly every lap until I noticed that the tires were simply shredded after 60 kms of highspeed:)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years