SMZ1 Formula Rim

Just received my newest baby.... the Sam Maxwell Formula Rim with integrated Z1 Screen.

The SMZ1 wheel is a state of the art current F1 tech inspired wheel and is made from a 1/4" thick solid piece of carbon fiber with cast in place urethane rubber hand grips. It has 10 buttons, 4 Three way momentary toggles and 6 rotary style switches. The commercial duty shifters are from Precision Design Worx and are billet aluminum with magnetic snap action. It also has dual clutch paddles allowing for controlled starts at the drop of the green. That's 33 individual inputs for controlling even the most elaborate racing cars.

The SMZ1 Wheel is fully compatible with the Z1 Dashboard software. It comes with a license for the Z1 software as well as two years of updates.*

LED Features**:
  • 15 LEDs shift light across the top
  • The 15 shift lights can be programmed for any RPM
  • Top LEDs can be set to include DRS lights
  • Top LEDs can be set to flash when pit limiter is engaged or rev limiter is hit
  • 3 left and 3 right LEDs can be customized to indicate DRS Available, DRS Active, DRS On, Yellow Flag, Blue Flag, Pit Limiter, Water Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Low Fuel

25ttu.jpg

28umxkm.jpg

b5qvb9.jpg

Does it use the slip ring for any connections or are they all delivered through the external connector, I removed my slip ring for smoother wheel feel after the updated version still had missed shifts.

Upvote 0
Hi Bez. It 's built to work with the slip ring out of the box... but the smallest USB disconnect, will disconnect the screen and it won't come back. It happened to me very often...nearly cannot finish one lap. You know, these fast movements make the slip ring fail. So the slip ring solution is not really reliable and I will remove the connectors on the wheel side and only use the USB Cable.

I have a Fanatac Formula Rim with AF QR and I have misshifts sometimes as well. high demand USB devices such as the screen need a better connection. So only will use external connector.

Cheers
Marcel

Upvote 0
Thanks Marcel, I think I'll be grabbing one of these rims, look perfect! It'd be great if you could update the thread after using the rim for while. :geek:

Upvote 0
VERY interesting and Honest opinion of the QR connection Marcel. Thanks for that.

Although owning a CSW i cant say ive ever had a "missed shift" but definitely have had the Pins break on my BMW rim over the past 2+ years. Thankfully im handy enough to fix it myself. But Agree there's got to be a better way (coiled USB seems to be it)

Upvote 0
VERY interesting and Honest opinion of the QR connection Marcel. Thanks for that.

Although owning a CSW i cant say ive ever had a "missed shift" but definitely have had the Pins break on my BMW rim over the past 2+ years. Thankfully im handy enough to fix it myself. But Agree there's got to be a better way (coiled USB seems to be it)
I think the problem with the missed shifts is when using his fanatec rim with the accuforce quick release, I've had two slip ring assembly's in my accuforce and neither was fully reliable especially when doing fast corrective movements, I ended up fully removing the slip ring assembly from the hub and using the coiled cable instead, AF feels so much smoother

Upvote 0
Just a little update. The integrated Z1 screen didn't work properly with the slip ring. So I hooked it up to the back of the SimXperience AF Base via USB. Still had very small disconnects, which let the software hang up. The buttons and shifters still worked, but the screen hangs up. The solution is to have a powered USB 3.0 Hub hooked up to your PC USB 3.0. SMZ1 has very high USB requirements and in fact uses 90% of the milliamps of the USB 2.0 spec. The hub inside the AF is not at the minimum of the spec.

Upvote 0
It looks like Simxperience have ditched the slip ring for the Accuforce:-

NOTE: Orders placed after 05/05/2016 will no longer include a slip ring. The button box connects to the wheel base via a coiled telephone style cable as in real world race cars.

It's not surprising as even with basic rims it was something that needed maintenance after a period of time.

Upvote 0
Just a little update. The integrated Z1 screen didn't work properly with the slip ring. So I hooked it up to the back of the SimXperience AF Base via USB. Still had very small disconnects, which let the software hang up. The buttons and shifters still worked, but the screen hangs up. The solution is to have a powered USB 3.0 Hub hooked up to your PC USB 3.0. SMZ1 has very high USB requirements and in fact uses 90% of the milliamps of the USB 2.0 spec. The hub inside the AF is not at the minimum of the spec.

For what you paid for that rim and Base....imo thats is very much unacceptable.

Upvote 0
That's awesome, i'm looking for a formula rim for my Accuforce, the 310mm is too big for formula's.

On another subject, really having problems setting up the Accuforce with Raceroom, what settings do you use in Raceroom?

Upvote 0
That's awesome, i'm looking for a formula rim for my Accuforce, the 310mm is too big for formula's.

On another subject, really having problems setting up the Accuforce with Raceroom, what settings do you use in Raceroom?
I gave up with raceroom and the accuforce, so many odd and unexpected forces coming through the wheel, do you get odd spikes when cornering? also seems to be no progression with tyre grip feel, its all or nothing

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years