Smooth slowmotion

M

Mehmet Arslan

• Mehmet Arslan

Hi all, i thought i ask it here so everyone might want to learn, i want :D.

Ok, im making some slowmotion scene's , but after rendering the slowmotion part is almost shown frame by frame.

I saw the video FD video from Gareth, the whole scene was slowmo, and very smooth.

Now all i want to know is how to do that.
My recording and rendering settings:

Fraps: 1280 x 800 @ 60 frames per second
Rendering: 640 x 480 @ 30, tried it also with 60 frames per second

Hopefully someone can help me out.
Tnx in advance

• Mehmet Arslan

Tnx Gareth, i didnt even know about the slowmotion function, i found the button, its the the zero on the numpad.

Working with slow motion footage is rather more than a simple case of capturing at a rate of, say, 120 fps (i.e. 30 fps at 1/4 speed) and then exporting at 30 fps - there are some other variables that need to be considered.

Firstly, the frame-rate at which you capture has to be absolutely 100% stable. Capturing with 60 fps set in fraps but an actual frame-rate of between 40 and 50 for example will result in slightly 'jumpy' footage, especially if you want to slow the footage down even further.

On top of that, there's the issue of whether to use a frame interpolation system, especially if you're slowing footage down. In my (infamous) slow-mo vid from the beginning of this year, I used frameblending which, as it implies in the name, blends adjacent frames together to give a psuedo-motion blur effect, but it also results in a strange ... 'dreamy' look - instead, if possible, use pixel-motion which computes intermediate frames based on motion analysis. My next foray into slow-motion will be much smoother than my last. :)

Obviously a lot of the techniques come down to your particular choice of software - your mileage may vary. I personally use Adobe After Effects, but you should be able to get decent results in pretty much anything.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back