Small City 2009

I'd like to think Small City will be carried on by the community. 2010 version would be brilliant, we've got the year to do it ;)

I agree 100%, but as I said earlier (to Tiberius I think), I want to work on other tracks and it would be nice if someone else took over now and improved and expanded it. I'll release a 2009 final by Monday I guess . and it would be really cool if Tiberius did a 2010 version with CG and some new models :) (EDIT: or even a just 2009 CG version if he wants to).

For the next version, you should change the road grip factor to 1.0, like it is in other tracks. 1.2 isn't very realistic. I was wondering why my 4x4's were falling over in corners when I noticed the grip factor.

IIRC, I posted new surface definitions for this map a long time ago on RSC, but they weren't included in the release.

For the next version, you should change the road grip factor to 1.0, like it is in other tracks. 1.2 isn't very realistic. I was wondering why my 4x4's were falling over in corners when I noticed the grip factor.

IIRC, I posted new surface definitions for this map a long time ago on RSC, but they weren't included in the release.
I was wondering why my Mini was acting so tipsy on that track lol.

FINAL version will be uploaded some time today. Changelog.txt includes:

Small City 2009
Changes from small_city_2009-06.01.2010.7z to FINAL

FIXES:

1. Changed roadtype for ground at car dealer ++
(thanks to Harey for bugfind, and citronized for bugfix)
2. Fixed sheepfarm fence bug (thanks to FiftyOrange for finding)
3. Changed time from 1930 to 1800 - too dark
(thanks to sergiogon & Harey for tip)
4. Turned off compression for sky texture (thanks to Tiberius for tip)
5. LOD on all items to imporve FPS (thanks to Tiberius for tip)
6. Various road bugfixes (thanks to Splashonda for finding)
7. Changed road traction from 1.2 to 1.0 (thanks to Miura for tip)
8. Updated CREDITS.rtf
9. Improved some shaders

IMPROVEMENTS:

1. Added missing road & dumpster behind offices
2. Moved lamp from fidoj to opposite busstop
3. Added missing sacks and ball to school area
4. Redesigned barber shop in village

This is the FINAL release.

Future updates and bugfixes will be posted at
http://alge.anart.no/projects/racer/
http://forum.racedepartment.com/racer/

/Luthobu - 11.01.2010

Adding LOD's causes this very minor problem:

racerlodbug.png

You can be driving down that road, see the bale up ahead, then when you get close to it, the bale vanishes.

Adding LOD's causes this very minor problem:
You can be driving down that road, see the bale up ahead, then when you get close to it, the bale vanishes.

Not here. Sure it's not the headlights that hide them? I tried several angles and nothing vanished.
What about the other improvements.. are they ok? FPS improved?

EDIT: Ok, found it. some hayballs dissappear then reappear. worst case scenario.. just remove LOD for hayballs..

There is something drastically wrong with this track when I ran it on 0.8.8.1!

Downloaded from Tracionteraras (sic) and put it into my track folder. When I ran it the screen went completely black after driving a short distance. I pressed "esc" and nothing happened, my computer was hung up and I had to use taskmanager to shut racer off. Tried removing the "cache" and tried again same result.

I then tried a different track and that one hung up also, Only by deleteing Small City from my computer would allow my other tracks to work.

Real bummer, no Qlog errors but definately not a track that is useable on my computer running 0.8.8.1! I didn't try it in earlier versions.

@boomer541: whoa.. how strange.. I'll look into it after work today. Is there any way I may reproduce this problem of yours?

PS: I used 0.8.8.1 for the final "touch-up" so I know it runs with the latest Racer..

EDIT: @boomer541: I am sorry you are having these problems. Was in a bit of a rush at work so I just had to reply quickly. What I meant to say is, is there a way to reproduce these problems - and is it possible to find out what is causing it without the help of QLOG errors? I could try removing and readding models, even rewriting the shaders, but that will take some time..

EDIT2: I am really not quite that sure - or convinced that it is the track.. I removed Small City 2009 and then loaded both the 69 an 72 Camaro, on different tracks and both times my screen went black, then when i hit ESC and returned to the menu it was all discolored. So there is a slight chance that it is a Racer bug and not a fault with SC. But of course, I am open to correction, and if it is proven that SC is faulty i will fix it as soon as I find the error. But it is quite hard to search for an error when it does not seem isolated to the one track.. *shrug*

Ok, have been "debugging" somewhat.. and have redone most the shaders.. they were actually in a very bad state.. I can't believe I released it like that.. (and I think they might have caused the miscoloring, at least to some degree..) also I have fixed some of the models, modified some textures and will fix the LODs some time today if i have the energy.. so.. expect a replacement soon. I would really like for boomer541 to enjoy this track :)

I did reply to your PM, don't know if it went thru but I did get that discolored menu once, went to get more coffee so it took awhile to appear.

It could be the shaders or the LOD's, normally I don't use LOD's, takes too much time to make them and I don't know exactly how to use them.

Anyway, great track, what I saw of it. I used Ctrl-8 to muve high in the sky and then rotated round to view most everything.

• Tiberius

Boomer, it ran fine here on 088, no problems at all except for the auto expose bug where the screen sometimes goes black when I load a track and I have to restart Racer..and that bug has been there ever since FBOs came in.

Luthobu: I did start to CG the track, it's gonna be a problem though to get more than 10fps from it. also there's a lot of 3 layer shaders in there, either it needs new cg shaders written or some of the original textures/shaders will need to be reworked, if I get the time and can overcome the problems I'll do it but it looks like it'll be a major project to get it CG'd and working well :)

@tiberius: just a quick reply for now. I /am/ redoing the shaders, even cutting down on the layers, so that will be ok, or, better. I am also improving some parts I never was quite happy with, so expect a final_r2 soon. I was pleased to read what you wrote about the black screen. I was befuddled by that one.

A quick update.. since win7 has problems with tracked and modeler, and I don't want to downgrade, I'll put all projects on hold untill the issue has been fixed or bettered. There is also a bit to do at work right now, so I really don't have much time either. I could of course just release what I have now.. but that would be like selling strawberry yoghurt without including the strawberries.. or whatever. Just so you don't sit up and wait... :p

EDIT: Well.. never rush a post.. for Small City I really don't need tracked or modeler, I just need Zmodeler to (re)place the models and notepad++ to edit the shaders and geometry. And this I have. So.. no reason not to complete the final_r2..

.. also there's a lot of 3 layer shaders in there, either it needs new cg shaders written or some of the original textures/shaders will need to be reworked ..

Yeah well, I looked at the shaders - leucome windows and the bus stops use 3 layers, I can't easily change that without breaking it. If you find a workaround for CG that's great, otherwise, well.. just improvise :) Almost done with the R2 release. Not many great changes, mostly bug fixes and enhancements. Pretty many small ones though so it will be a full and not partial release. Sorry about that.

Small City 2009 Final R2

Changes from FINAL to FINAL_R2

FIXES:

1. LOD's have been adjusted (hayball bug)
2. Moved roadsign (men at work)
3. Adjusted misaligned road (rusty's sideroad)
4. Updated CREDITS.rtf
5. Updated Changelog.txt

IMPROVEMENTS:

1. Improved some shaders
2. Improved church texture
3. Added new ground outside coffeeshop
4. Added roadsign for Mr. Whippy's Alley
5. Improved surface settings

Get it while it's hot:
http://alge.anart.no/projects/racer/releases/small_city_2009-final_r2.7z

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?