1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLI-M Wheel Plate and How to

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by greenmile, May 26, 2011.

1. Okay guys never done this before but Ive been really wanting to make my own that suits what I want.
    Could someone review my basic wiring diagram please?
    Ive followed the tuturial above, and still have a few questions for the smart ones.

First off Im using a SLI-M from Leo. From what I can work out, I can use;
    2 Rotary encoders with push buttons...http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/ELMA-E37.pdf
    8 Knitter buttons (2 buttons per connection) http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/Knitter-MPS103F.pdf
    My summary;
    Theres basically 6 connections on the SLI-M board. So each Rotary encoder will take up 1 spot each.
    Which leaves four connections, that can have 2 buttons on each.

Do the rotory encoders need their own button wired directly to them? Can I add any extra buttons without wiring a matrix?

I dont want to wire a matrix, I dont want to make a science out of it..lol.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Thanks Chris, I think Ive drawn it poorly, it supposed to show each ground goes to the first button then bridged to the second.

I gather 8 buttons is the max for a SLI-M wired in that configuration?
    Thanks for the link, Ive ordered Leo's ones. Appreciate the help.

Oh one other thing once Ive wired everything up, can I configure which buttons adjust the brightness of the display etc.
  3. sorry been working on my wheel lol, you can configure the brightness in the plugin in rfactor or wich other plugin your using
  4. i normally do 2 push encoders and 10 buttons on a M board. You dont have 16 pins on the end? I hook one ground pin, then daisy chain the rest off of the one wire.
    And then i use these encoders, Rotary encoder CTS288 model 288V232R161B2 has 3 inputs, and two grounds. center on the 3 pin side and looking at the bottom, the right hand pin on the 2 pin side with it up.

But if you only have 12 inputs, would be different. and not familiar with the push type encoder.
  5. err Dont mind me, yes I do have the 16 pins. Thanks Ill use those encoders. Im using iRacing mainly now and the brightness of the display is one thing I want to adjust as its just too bright.

Also where do I get the knobs for the encoders from, any options?

Thanks in advance.
  6. Not sure where your located at, but if in the states, Radio Shack has some decent ones or i sell some knobs with colored vinyl on them in red, blue, green, yellow and white. Check here: simracnwheels.com

7. What is the outside diamter of those knobs 'simracin'? I like them.
  8. they are 1 1/8" in diameter, and then the pointer sticks out about 1/16" from the edge. fits a 1/4" shaft with a set screw to hold it in place.
  9. grrrrr, sorry folks, put in the wrong spot. :-(