Skip barber

I find the skip really nervous in just about any situation braking, accelerating, cornering and even if I just slightly turn the wheel to much or to fast. Since I've never driven one for real or any race car for that matter, are they like this in real or am I doing something fundamentally wrong?
Only tried it on SIlverstone GT track so far

That's the skippy behavior.

Try the national with the slick tires:
- Select a car and click on "tunning".
- Select the national in the upgrades.

Lower the rear ride hide and lower the rear anti rolbar helps. But this isn't the fastest setup.

Skipbarbers have "off throttle oversteer".
So keep a bit of throttle applied at turn-in.

Lower the rear ride hide and lower the rear anti rolbar helps. But this isn't the fastest setup.

Thanks I will give it a go. I find myself being tense just expecting it to turn on me any second :)

Yep the Skippy is a tricky little car but like myself and others have seen it can help your general car control no end, I certainly improved after learning to (semi)Master this car. It's great fun once you get up and running but remains tricky, certainly tests your concentration levels. You almost have to forget how to drive to then re-learn with this car, but in a fun way.

The skip barber, this is a great car! It is a training car that can not only be fun at all levels but I believe can still be a great tool to help even the fastest drivers. Now to answer your question about whether or not the real car drives likes this: Well ultimately I can't say for sure as I have never driven a skippy in real life. But I have driven a fairly similar car and it could definitely be a little tail happy but the car and setup I was on was not as tail happy as the rf2 skippy is. From what I have read the real one does do everything the rf2 does. Perhaps not quite as aggressively or as easily though. I would imagine it is fairly close though. I wouldn't be surprised if the rf2 one is a little more prone to oversteer but I would expect the same general behavior.

Now this is like the porsche but greatly amplified. Lift off oversteer will get you if you do not control the weight transfer well. You will find that the release of the brakes plays an important role in adjusting the rotation of the car. You can control the direction and rotation of the car with both the brakes and the throttle. You will also find that as you come off the brakes and especially as you turn in you will want to already have at least a little throttle applied to help stabilize the car. Otherwise that back end could easily come around on you.

If there is ever a server up with these and the timing works I would be happy to hop on and drive together again. Just let me know and have fun with the car! Also I have enjoyed watching skip barbers going faster and then later driving this car at Lime Rock.

The skip barber, this is a great car! It is a training car that can not only be fun at all levels but I believe can still be a great tool to help even the fastest drivers. Now to answer your question about whether or not the real car drives likes this: Well ultimately I can't say for sure as I have never driven a skippy in real life. But I have driven a fairly similar car and it could definitely be a little tail happy but the car and setup I was on was not as tail happy as the rf2 skippy is. From what I have read the real one does do everything the rf2 does. Perhaps not quite as aggressively or as easily though. I would imagine it is fairly close though. I wouldn't be surprised if the rf2 one is a little more prone to oversteer but I would expect the same general behavior.

Now this is like the porsche but greatly amplified. Lift off oversteer will get you if you do not control the weight transfer well. You will find that the release of the brakes plays an important role in adjusting the rotation of the car. You can control the direction and rotation of the car with both the brakes and the throttle. You will also find that as you come off the brakes and especially as you turn in you will want to already have at least a little throttle applied to help stabilize the car. Otherwise that back end could easily come around on you.

If there is ever a server up with these and the timing works I would be happy to hop on and drive together again. Just let me know and have fun with the car! Also I have enjoyed watching skip barbers going faster and then later driving this car at Lime Rock.

That would be great to do some running again! :) I have had some fun in the skippy on Silverstone and Sebring and I find myself using brake and throttle a lot more and more simultaneously than before and that have made wonders for me when driving the Porsche!!!
Right now I am alternating the skippy and the enduracing mod and even though I like the other GT cars and especially the Aston Martin I always comes back to the Porsche now. You should take all credit for that, it was a monster trying to feed on me before!!:laugh:
Braking is continue to improving and going sideways in a corner is no longer a certain sudden death as it was before.
Maybe setting a skippy server is something @Joseph Wright can do? I have no idea it is possible right now?

I am not sure what has changed, if its the Logitec drivers or something new in RF2, but before the only car that I could drive was the Clio which had a wheel rotation of 900 degrees. Even though there still can be some shoulder popping corners it isn't nearly as bad as before when there was problems getting out of the garage. But it isn't broken now so I won't try to fix it ;)

• ronniej

*Off Topic*
Just wanted to send a very big thank you for uploading LeMans to the Steam workshop!

Well once you start to work it out its rewarding for sure, its certainly a harder car to drive than an F1 car as you would expect as its not such a trick piece of kit and in fact is engineered to be hard to drive the exact opposite of an F1 car.
Learn to master the skippy and you are good to go in anything, because everything after it feels so so much better and grips for days!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back