• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Sketchup fence object - 70 images!!!

Discussion in 'Bob's Track Builder' started by ebrich, Jun 16, 2011.

1. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +76
    I've made a photo match concrete fence in sketchup and I find that I have 70 seperate images to re-dimension before Xpacking. So I have used its image as twall instead but I would really like to know how, if its possible, I can make the original object without having the problem of spending hours changing image dimensions or at least cutting back on the number of images.
    View attachment Concrete fence01_.zip

2. Kennett Ylitalo

Kennett Ylitalo

Ratings:
    +3,936
    I notice that too.. I manage to cut down the amount of textures by:
    - Not using ANY of the sketchups own textures, always use your own, even if it is just plain color
    - Put the textures on a single face (2 triangles) and then start to edit the shape. I think that depends on object but i found it much easier.

After those steps my material count decreased from 48 to 3.. Actually 2 since it had one unused, Frontcolor.. On another object it got from ~60 to ~8 so it does have a difference.
    Sketchups own plain color textures are the worst, every time you paint a new surface it creates a new material and then there's a LOT of duplicates and a bigger task in XPacker.. There could be another solution but this is the only one i could think of and if it works, don't fix it..

3. ebrich

ebrich
    Premium

Ratings:
    +76
    Many thanks Kennett will give it a go.