SimuCUBE shipped with beta firmware?

Hi all.
I received my SimuCUBE direct drive kit from Simracingbay last week. I have been planning the purchase for a long time, while I studied as much about the kit as I could. I was familiar with the MMOS 2014 software as I used it on my previous DIY brushed motor wheel.
I have also heard of the new open beta SimuCUBE firmware, which is labeled as "officially not released yet".
I spent more than 3 hours trying to make my wheel work without luck. I tried to connect to MMOS and Granity software, even tried a fresh windows install to make sure it's not my old set of drivers that interfere.
In the game controllers window, my wheel was suspicious as it didn't show up as MMOS, but as SimuCUBE. I have seen other devices such as Arduino Leonardo renamed to something else, so I thought there might be the beta firmware on it.
Since nothing else helped, I tried to find the SimuCUBE config tool online, which gave no result. The only way to get the config tool is to download a firmware zip file from github.
Finally I downloaded the config tool with the latest 0.95 firmware package.
This time my wheel was recognised by the tool and a warning message popped up, my firmware is outdated. I didn't have an idea what my firmware version was my only chance was to update it, not knowing if my drive is working at all.
All in all, it was a success, I can use my servo drive with no problem.

However, the seller did not ever give a hint, not a piece of paper saying "Thank you for purchasing this excellent product. Be warned, this product has this and this of beta firmware on it and you need this tool from here and there."
Did I miss something obvious at some point in my excitement?

Yes, you did miss almost everything. MMOS is not used any longer. The guy who made ist stopped working on it and did not want to share the code. Therefore, Granit Devices developed their one software which workes well, but it is still in beta status. Never had an issue with the beta software.

Why did not you just follow the instructions from Tomo? Took me 5min to get it up and working.
I really don't understand that. He made an excellent tutorial and you did not even read it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, you did miss almost everything. MMOS is not used any longer. The guy who made ist stopped working on it and did not want to share the code. Therefore, Granit Devices developed their one software which workes well, but it is still in beta status. Never had an issue with the beta software.

Why did not you just follow the instructions from Tomo? Took me 5min to get it work.
I really don't understand that. He made an excellent tutorial and you did not even read it?
I browsed through all pages of simracingbay.com, didn't find any instructions. Neither did I get any instructions in the box.
The only thing that can explain is that I ordered it through a friend who has an IT company and could help me with reduced tax payment. Maybe he got the instructions in email.

Upvote 0
I browsed through all pages of simracingbay.com, didn't find any instructions. Neither did I get any instructions in the box.
The only thing that can explain is that I ordered it through a friend who has an IT company and could help me with reduced tax payment. Maybe he got the instructions in email.
yes, I got a mail with the instructions. Will send you a pm. So it seems you saved some money, but spent a lot of time. You should talk to your friend... ;)

Upvote 0
yes, I got a mail with the instructions. Will send you a pm. So it seems you saved some money, but spent a lot of time. You should talk to your friend... ;)
Thanks for the pm. :)
To be honest, that time spent is nothing compared to the time I spent on building my rig overall, including my failed attempts to build my own wheel. :D

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 211 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%
  • < 5 years