SimRacing Modding Roundup - May 2016 - Assetto Corsa Edition

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC Opel Calibra ITC.jpg

Another month, another roundup of the latest and greatest community released mods for Kunos Simulizioni's PC racer, Assetto Corsa.

In today's edition of the SimRacing Modding Roundup we take a look at some new releases and interesting WIP projects for racing sim Assetto Corsa. Following our popular April edition of the Modding Corner, today's article focus's on some of the new pieces of content released in May and highlights a few of the more noteworthy downloads from previous months.

As always with these articles we at RaceDepartment in no way endorse the highlighted mods or take any responsibility for any issues caused to your gaming machine by downloading the files. This article is not intended to act as a recommendation, it is purely an opportunity to highlight some of the great community produced content available currently for a selection of PC racing games. I'll try my best to pick the best and give a thorough roundup of what's out and about but please do feel free to leave a message in the comments if you see anything you think should be included in the next round up...

AC Williams FW31.jpg

FC1 2009 Williams FW31 1.3.1
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Category: Cars/Open Wheel
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 13/04/2016
Credits: See download link
The Williams Toyota of 2009 fame was not a successful car despite benefiting from the driving talents of 2016 champion elect Nico Rosberg and current Toyota WEC pilot Kazuki Nakajima. Unlike its real life brother, the Formula Corsa Modding Team have creating something rather special for Assetto Corsa with this exciting mod. Excellent visuals, stunning sounds and a driving experience to enjoy on every apex the team behind this mod have done an outstanding job of creating a car worth picking up by the scruff of the neck and pushing round the many tracks to be found in AC. Coming with its own career mode and showing great attention to detail throughout the car - without doubt a premium piece of AC content.

AC Ferrari 488 GTB Spyder.jpg

Ferrari 488 GTB Spyder 1.5
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Category: Cars/Road
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 09/05/2016
You can never have enough Ferrari's right? As a natural successor to the epic 458 italia this version of the Ferrari 488 GTB Spyder is a worthy addition to the comprehensive list of Ferrari's already in game. Providing an enjoyable driving experience with nice FFB and benefiting from continual improvements by author gdzy since its release, the 488 GTB is a great looking and feeling mod with outstanding visuals both inside and outside the car. Plus its a Ferrari. Cool.

AC Abarth 1000TC.jpg

Abarth 1000TC 1.6.3
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Category: Cars/Race
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 19/05/2016
Based on the original 1000TC by Angelo Granata with permissions, Giuseppe Abagnale brings us a street, Group 2 and Group 5 version of this nimble little Italian style icon. With completely reworked highly engaging physics and benefiting from numerous updates since release the little Abarth 1000TC is a very enjoyable addition to the virtual garage within Assetto Corsa. Plenty of attention to detail has been lavished on this mod and Giuseppe even goes so far as to take measurements from his real life road car in the quest for accuracy! That fact alone deserves a download...

AC Opel Calibra ITC.jpg

Opel Calibra ITC 1996 0.95a
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Category: Cars/Touring
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 03/04/2016
The International Touring Car Championship (or ITC for short) marked a period in history where Touring Cars ruled the racing world. Renowned as the most technologically advanced Touring Car series in the world and featuring some of the best professional racing drivers from any series the ITC and DTM series were at the forefront of entertainment and technical achievement.
The Opel Calibra ITC mod from the epic 1996 season covers off one of the most elegant and stunning tin top cars from recent memory. With liveries from German legend Manuel Reuter and Klaus Ludwig you too can try your hand in one of the finest vehicles to ever grace the tin top circuit. Developed by eboo with sounds from ferrari64 this mod is still in its infancy but seems to be undergoing updates and improvements as development progresses. One to watch.

AC Ferrari F2002.jpg

Ferrari F2002 1.2
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Category: Cars/Open Wheel
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 22/04/2016
An outstanding recreation of the all conquering Ferrari Grand Prix challenger that went on to secure 14 race wins and the Drivers and Constructors World Championship's in the hands of Michael Schumacher and Rubens Barrichello during the 2002 Formula One season. Widely considered one of the premium mods currently available for Assetto Corsa the F2002 is crammed full of fine detail throughout the mod. Benefiting from superb sounds and a realistic feeling driving experience this is indeed an epic addition to the game.

AC Spielberg.jpg

Spielberg 2.0
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Category: Track/Permanent
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 03/05/2016
Mitja Bonca converts track to Assetto Corsa at a very high standard. Fact. Mitja's latest creation is the conversion of the already excellent SDM Tracks Red Bull Ring in Austria. With around 90% of the mod rebuilt in order to bring the standard up to Kunos official content levels this mod is looking and playing superbly already. Now on version 2.0 release, Spielberg features three layouts in the form of the Full Course, South Course and Inner Skill Course as well as a planned North Course addition to be released at a later date. Although Kunos plan to release an official version later in the year with quality this good, why bother?

AC Circuit Mas du Clos.jpg

Circuit Mas du Clos (WIP)
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 12/05/2016
Based in the Limousin region of France, this 1.909 mile scratch built track is a reasonably tight and technical circuit that offers great driving pleasure and encourages close and exciting on track action. Currently a WIP project and receiving regular updates by author Jim Lloyd, Circuit Mas du Clos is shaping up to become another high quality addition to Assetto Corsa. An obscure choice of track as the circuit has never hosted officially sanctioned racing makes this an even more appealing choice to boost the track count within the game.
Already looking visually rather nice and offering a solid driving experience I have no doubt this mod track will become one of the key pieces of content in the near future.

AC 1v1 Duel Track.jpg

1v1 Duel Track (ROC ) 0.7
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Download Link -HERE
Latest Release: 20/05/2016
Time for something a little different with this interesting take on the 1 vs 1 Race of Champions (ROC) format track. While ROC events are run traditionally inside large football stadiums Bernd Halbeisen has created his fantasy 2 lane racetrack as a permanent facility complete with gravel traps and spectator grandstands.

Built using the excellent Bobs Track Builder and currently sitting at version 0.7, 1v1 Duel Track is an outstanding idea and should prove a fun alternative to the usual tracks in Assetto Corsa.

Special mentions:

AC Bridgehampton.jpg

Bridgehampton Race Circuit 1.1
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Download Link -HERE
Latest Release: 28/12/2015
Scratch built for Assetto Corsa using an original topographical map of the circuit and lavished in fine detail by mod creator LilSki, Bridgehampton Race Circuit is a fine addition to the list of period historic add on tracks in Assetto Corsa. Complete with many features such as dynamic racing grove and working AI, this is without doubt another 'must have' addition for the sim.

AC Donington Park.jpg

Donington Park 1.3
Title:
Assetto Corsa
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 21/02/2016
The self proclaimed "Heart of British Motorsport" Donington Park is an historic British race track perhaps best know for Artyon Senna's stunning opening lap performance during the 1993 European Grand Prix. Scratch build for Assetto Corsa by Brun and containing both the Grand Prix and National variants of the track, this is one mod that is every bit as good official Kunos content.

Please can I take this opportunity to ask you, the community, to help improve other users experiences when downloading a mod at RaceDepartment? If you download a mod here at RD please consider taking to the time to leave a rating and comment so the author and other community members can see opinions on how each mod is developing and viewed by a wider audience. Just 5 minutes of your time for each download you make can go a long way towards helping others make informed decisions and adds to the general awesomeness that is the RaceDepartment mods section! Thank you...

Have a look through our Assetto Corsa Mods section right here on RaceDepartment for a wide variety of apps / skins / cars / tracks and miscellaneous files to enhance your enjoyment of Kunos Simulazioni's premium racing simulator.

Have you enjoyed our Mod roundup? Tried any of the featured mods? Do you know of a mod you wish to see featured next month? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Thanks for the round up. Think i have everything already, but nice picks.

Love the rubber bits on the donnington shot there (same as Picard track!). Makes it look more gritty and realistic. Bridgehampton is an epic track! Looks amazing, FFB feels amazing and the flow is of the track is great. T1 & T2 downhill when passing the pit straight at full speed...! Amazing. :thumbsup: The cars are also well done. So much awesome content for AC. Big thanks to everyone creating and sharing! :)

A pretty harsh and unfounded accuse.
And I don't think that a ripped content would be allowed here at RD.

There is more ripped content that you think here. Content only gets removed when RD gets a request to take something offline. Content I produced for another sim was available here for some while.
After is told the admin the stuff was removed and the guy who converted my content was banned.

But that ain't the case with this track, deep bow now...

Last edited:
Thanks for the list @Paul Jeffrey

I missed some of these mods, so will definitely download a few, the Abarth looks nuts!:)

Wish I had more spare time to enjoy them too! :roflmao:

The only thing that spoils them is with every major update the mod is rendered obsolete which is a shame if the original author doesn't want to update it. I have a few cars I love to drive but now no longer have sound :(

Are RD going to have a Race of Champions style event sometime soon then? :D

I thought that Spielberg 2.0 is based on ripped original content from GSCE.
(edit)
But I'm wrong, although they feel very similar. Checked the wire frame it ain't.
My apologies.

I think it's a Codemasters conversion.

Edit: quite sure actually, specially if you check Codies version with earlier versions of the AC circuit. Now many stuff has been added/improved over it.

Last edited:
There is ripped content on RD, especially AC tracks.

I've seen no evidence whatsoever that anything by ACU ("Assetto Corsa Underground") is legit. In fact, I don't think they ever claim that their output is legitimately converted or scratch built. I see no website, no build threads on AC forums, nothing, in fact, to identify them at all. They used to have a blog, but WordPress deleted it.

On saying that, I realise that tracking the origin of any mod can be difficult, and where to draw the line on presumed innocent or presumed guilty is not easy.

Nice threads, RD, I like this theme and you've picked out some extremely high quality, scratch built content - Bridgehampton, Donington, F2002 are all of the utmost quality and pedigree.

It says something about the speed of mod development in AC at the moment that recent releases such as the scratch built Fuji and Williams FW23 were, presumably, produced after going to virtual press.

D

Deleted member 130869

• Deleted member 130869

Please can I take this opportunity to ask you, the community, to help improve other users experiences when downloading a mod at RaceDepartment? If you download a mod here at RD please consider taking to the time to leave a rating and comment so the author and other community members can see opinions on how each mod is developing and viewed by a wider audience.

User reviews are a reflection of personal taste and involvement, so they can be meaningless. In my view, reviews should take some time of gameplay for further inspection. How often do we not have 5-star reviews for some quick port jobs, or others done with shortcuts or not accuracy in replication? And then reviews that offer no information, or that would be better served as questions or triggers for discussion on the content's Support thread. It is rare to find content between 3-4 stars because it's either 1 or 4-5 for quick ports, or 5 for most things with a heavy name. Or sometimes a 4 or even less for something that should be an undisputed 5, often due to misinformation or something wrong on the user end.

burrito

It's an opinion, nothing more, nothing less.
Funny people bag rF2 for single cars.

5 AC mods ......single cars.
2 street. There are many street/road cars from kunos already in the game. Pretty sure they can be matched for racing/tracking.

2 F1. Aside from CTDP (there may well be others that I forget) full F1 season mods suck. They lack quality; mostly because its just too much work following such a secretive sport and attempting to create a full roster of cars.

It is also important to note that the FW31 has a full season skin pack that must not be ignored. I know the work that went into that and it would be downright ignorant to skip over that fact. (Lets be honest leagues/races/sessions with uneven cars don't work in simracing so one car with skins works best here in the virtual world).
Secondly the F2002 has a skin pack containing most, if not all the teams from the season. And for the same reason stated above, this is much better than 12 different performing cars.

Regarding the Opel. I agree. I like racing and having one car per BOP'd class is boring.

Not interested in a sim war. My agenda lies with how people percieve modding and what they think we should make. When in reality if you made all the cars from an F1/older BTCC/older GT (read unbalanced or "open" series) season, probably 50% of them would be used more than once or twice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 130869

• Deleted member 130869

It is quite troublesome to create the different handling aspects, so at least with series with similarities (like CART) do help. I'm on the boat of preferring individualized cars, for pick up racing it may lead to many people using the same car but it can provide a fun challenge or alternative for others who don't think only about the top car.

It's especially great for higher level leagues when you can simply assign the very top folks to cars inversely proportional in speed. I was part of a group that did that with incredible success in GPL and had a great season with CART 98 for SCE 2013 with the 3rd best combo. Both had the best grids and the final results were always down to driving ability. Some people will only go for the best car regardless of how well they drive, but let them live in their own worlds.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 79 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 116 28.0%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 67 16.2%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 40 9.7%
  • €3001-5000