SimRacing Modding Roundup - April 2016 - rFactor 2 Edition

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 EnduRacers Endurance Series.jpg

rFactor was the original modding platform of choice back in the mid 2000's and rFactor 2 aims to take up the mantle into 2016 with an enhanced feature set and advanced physics engine aiming to bring sim racers as close to the real thing as possible on a home PC.

Although the modding scene for rFactor 2 has been a little slow compared to its older brother in rFactor 1's heyday, the most recent offering from Image Space Incorporated is another excellent platform for modding teams and individuals to show off their flair for creating top quality tracks and cars for the community to enjoy.

Todays' edition of the Modding Corner brings a few highlights from the recent efforts of community members looking to bring some exciting new content to rFactor 2.

Now that little disclaimer (again):

First and foremost I can't guarantee I'll pick up everything nor does this article act as a recommendation on quality. I'll try my best to pick the best and give a thorough roundup of what's out and about but please do feel free to drop me a PM if you see anything you think should be included in the next round up...

So, lets have a look see what's new and what's hot:

rF2 Flat6 Series .jpg

Flat6 Series by Enduracers and Gentlemen Racers V1.0
Title: rFactor 2
Category: Cars / Race
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 23/02/2015
Credits: See download link

Perhaps one of the most hotly anticipated releases for rF2 to date, Enduracers in partnership with Gentlemen Racers brought rFactor 1 classic Flat6 Series to rfactor 2 after a substantial rework with many scratch built elements to bring the mod to modern rFactor 2 standards.
Based on the very popular Porsche Carrera Cup series and featuring a high number of original skins Flat6 Series is one of the true rF2 "must have" addons for the title.

rF2 Renault Megane World Trophy MOD .png

Renault Megane World Trophy MOD
Category: Cars / Race
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 23/02/2016

With permission to use ISI's own Renault Megane as a base for this substantial enhancement this mod is an updated standalone version with improved lights, shaders and tyre behaviour alongside a 37 new skins for the cars.
Featuring AI files and many enhancements to the original car this is a great offline and online addition to the sim.

rF2 HJK OWC 2015.jpg

HJK OWC 2015 V3.0
Category: Cars / Open Wheel
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 27/02/2016

Based on the 2015 Formula One World Championship HJK OWC 2015 contains CPM tyres and a strong engaging physics setup giving players an authentic feeling experience when driving these high powered open wheel formula cars.
Although currently minus talent files for authentic offline racing the mod creators have indicated if they receive enough requests this could be added in future updates.

rF2 Lola T70 Spyder.jpg

Lola T70 Spyder v1.0.4
Category: Cars / Classic
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 08/01/2016

Basing physics on ISI original Howston G6 with a wealth of new textures and physics brings a highly addictive and engaging version of the classic Lola T70 to rFactor 2. With bodywork changes to visually reflect the car ISI originally intended and adding a whole host of updates to the car the Lola T70 Spyder is a classic (in every sense of the word) addition to rF2's modding collection. Outstanding.

rF2 Mantorp Park.JPG

Mantorp Park V1.01
Category: Tracks / Permanent
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 01/04/2016

Mantorp Park in Sweden is a permanent racing facility ideally suited to slower specification cars and Touring Car style racing.
Based on an update to the original rFactor 1 version of the circuit, Mantorp Park already looks to be an impressive conversion that includes real road and animated corner marshals. Although still with further development to go this mod track addon is well worth checking out.

rF2 Daytona Road Course.JPG

Daytona Road Course v1.21
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 14/03/2016

Location for the American classic round the clock Rolex Daytona 24 hour event the legendary Daytona is a mecca of motorsports over in the United States.
Another conversion to rF2 this track addition has received plenty of attention and although not fully polished this mod does potentially represent the best version currently available for rF2.

rF2 Istanbul Park.JPG

Istanbul GP v1.1
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 17/03/2016

Originally released in 2014 the latest v1.1 version of the former Grand Prix venue brings a raft of improvements to this often overlooked technical circuit. Nice visuals and an interestingly bumpy circuit make a satisfying experience and add to the growing list of current and former Formula One tracks for rFactor 2.

rF2 Rouen Les Essarts.jpg

Rouen Les Essarts 0.96
Download Link - HERE
Latest Release: 02/02/2016

Including 1955-1970 and the 1974-1994 layouts of French classic venue Rouen Les Essarts this is a partially authorised VLM conversion from the original rFactor 1 edition of the mod. Currently in WIP status and having updates to improve the racing experience this track makes a nice addition to the range of classic content available in the sim.

One to watch...
rF2 EnduRacers Endurance Series.jpg

Enduracers Endurance Series
Category: Cars / Endurance
Download Link - N/A
Latest Release: TBC

From the highly regarded makers of the rFactor and rFactor 2 Flat6 Series and rFactor 1 classic Endurance Series comes one of the most eagerly awaited new additions to rFactor 2 in the form of the Endurance Series by Enduracers. Recently announcing a partnership with United Racing Design to share resources within each team, Endurance Series will without doubt be one of the most impressive additions when it becomes available.

If you are working on a mod for any of the main sim racing titles on PC please drop me a PM if you wish to discuss and have a feature written here on RD. I can't guarantee we will feature your mod but I would be very interested to hear (and share) what projects are being worked on at present.

In the coming weeks and months I intend to run a series of interviews with race sim modders and would also love to hear from any of you who would be interested in participating in an interview with RD. Again drop me a PM with some details and we can discuss...

Have a look through our rFactor 2 mods section right here on RaceDepartment for a wide variety of skins / cars / tracks and miscellaneous files to enhance your enjoyment of Image Space Incorporated's flagship title.

Have you enjoyed our rF2 mods roundup? Do you know of any mods for rF2 or any other sim you think we should feature? What mod do you enjoy playing? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 130869

You highlight a no permission rip: Mantorp Park and and don't even mention
ASR and Apex.

lol

To be fair, neither ASR or APEX have a completed mod that has been released. The mention of Rouen is already a stretch too. Currently there isn't much else to show except for the few ones mentioned, and just news and hopes for the near future.

Good work and thanks Paul.
I have to support Gijs in mentioning the Apex GT3 mod. It has been gradually improving and is now an excellent mod. I have done several races in it including a 12 hours at Bathurst.
There is another great GT3 offering the BES GT3. It contained the best 911 GT3 in RF2 until the Enduracers Flat 6 arrived. It however is a full grid.
The ASR Modding OWC 1992 and its other derivatives is one of my top picks for open wheelers.
Despite every car in the LE (league edition) having the same physics, due to the excellent cockpit renders and sounds you could swear that the Ligier has more turbo-like delivery, the Lotus is lower spec and the Williams screams high tech.
They are both complete mods and ready to race as they are.
Another superb car that is accessible yet has amazing feel and produces great racing is the Spec Miata Mod.
lastly the Formula Sim Racing 2016 car is very very good. It's been creating some amazing racing in this the 16th season over 15 years of the FSR League. Its high tech, hybrid powered, edgy with huge torque but excellent feel. Choice if M/Benz, Renault, Ferrari and Honda engine sounds.

To add to this list, there's also the RFT F1 2013 - HE by Frenky (that you can find on ISI forums) which is a total blast (and better looking than the HJK OWC 2015 -But that's my opinion-). No Kers though, cause AI can't use it, but still a pretty good mod.

Sadly, so underwhelming. rF2 have a lot of potential - despite the graphical flaws. Too bad the mod scene never really started for it.

We must be playing different games then. My install of rF2 takes 50 GB, even without every mod installed that is available. Maybe there are not as many mods as for rF1. But still plenty of nice stuff to keep you busy for years.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 321 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 165 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.5%