Simraceway and the issue of legal mods

The topic of SimRaceWay making money off the community's mods has been discussed, but what of the tracks/mods they're using.

Why is a SimBin backed site using illegal tracks? Eg the new V8Factor event they have up is using the MMM Sandown track which is ripped from Codemaster's TRD series - so why do communities like ourselves get stick for using these type of tracks but SRW can just get away with it? What do Codemasters think of this?

Have the rules changed?

Our rules haven't, but I agree its really weird when they are using such tracks for their contests. And never understood what SimBin is doing their on the remains of rFactorCentral anyway. Maybe they should send their partner some community outlines as well.

• Maug

From what i've heard SRW has autoproclaimed a partnership with simbin, they had a deal for the game srw was offering i don't remember for what occasion but apparently nothing like SimBin official sponsor of SRW.

If they aren't you would asume that a simple e-mail to SRW would get them off the site as an official partner?
They for sure must have arranged something as i dont think SimBin will allow SRW to run paid championships with their games.

Sebt an e-mail to SimBin:

I am requesting some clarification the rules regarding track conversions from other developers to ISI and Simbin games. I understand that older titles from the same publisher are allowed to have content converted across. The question is regarding converions from other publishers and games, such as Codemasters' Race Driver and Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4. As I understand it is 'illegal' to convert content from these games into ISI and SimBin simulators. Why is it therefore, that SimRaceway, a site you support fairly prominently are allowed to run competitions with and host such 'illegal' content, such as Sandown from Race Driver 3 and Suzuka from Grand Prix 4?

Why are they allowed to do this whereas places such as RaceDepartment are not? NoGripRacing also host such 'illegal' content. Why is no action taken against them in any way? Have the rules subtly changed?

The answer to your question is Simbin don't care about people converting from those games as it's not their content. Although from what I understand, the Simbin logo shouldn't even be there. Does anyone actually care about that site anyway? RFC and Simraceway are both huge jokes these days.

Isn't that their business Ryan? There are enough good tracks available for all games that are original and scratch build and give good racing.

Though i also agree with you that it is weird that a company (simbin) that hands out a community rule set of not converting anything, is listed on sites as official partner that clearly don't care.

There are plenty of good tracks, but for example our rFactor racers miss out on Suzuka, Donington etc. Adelaide, Sandown, Symmons Plains etc are obviously important to me for the RDV8SC, and because these illegal versions already exist no-one makes them from scratch, or start and don't bother to finish.

my version of Donington and Sugo are both completely legal, they came from SBK2001, Simbin got permission from the devs.

GP4 tracks are probably fine too, the dev house pretty much doesnt exist anymore. Codemasters though did complain when they found out about RD tracks being converted.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back