Simbin default car set ups

As it says why are defaults so bad in their games GTL & GTR2 ect, I'm not great at set ups myself thank so god for mods.
In a FPS you don't spend hours rebuilding you AK47 do you ?

I don't think they're that bad to be honest. As an all-round baseline they are quite good. Afterall it's very difficult to find a setup that fits all. Usually I change them to make it more neutral/tailhappy and bit more responsive. But that's just the way I like to drive. Sometimes I just stick with default and normally it works fine too. Just compensate with the loud pedal:whistling:

Another thing to keep in mind is the kind of cars we are driving. Most of these cars are not purpose-build racecars. So these cars are not perfect in any way, but imo that's what makes them so fun to drive.

I used to think the SIMBIN Setups were rubbish too. Managed to Nuke my entire hard drive a month or so ago and lost EVERYTHING - oops!

I started using defaults in GTL and Race07 and have found on the whole that there not that bad. Last night in the Elan and Cortina Event which I signed up for late and had very little practice for (never driven the track or the Elan until yesterday) I left everything default except bumps up to 2 on the front and 2, 1 on the rear and didn't do amazing well but did do ok (for me). I used standard lock although have found in Race07 WTCC's that I usually redcuce the front and rear toe and tinker a little with steering lock (in the car setup) until I get something that gives me response from the wheel immediately - best way is go down until you get a 'deadzone' ie, it feels as though you have play in the steering before it turns the wheels (have driven many an old wreck in real life that did this !) then going back up until it responds properly..

I think the most important things to get right are FFB settings (excellent guide in stickies) bear in mind that steering sensitivity level DOES affect FFB - I was surprised to find this after going for 0% then changing it to 50% (in Race07 but GTL is basically the same) and suddenly finding FFB had come alive for me. Also I have discovered that having a stable wheel, seat and pedals configuration makes a massive difference to me - I use a desk which my wheel is mounted on with an office chair, the pedals sit on the carpet the inbuilt gripper - my consistency and lap times have improved since I purchased some castor cups for the chairs castors to stop movement of the chair and threw together (using cardboard tubing) a brace to go from the rear of the pedals to the wall to stop the pedals moving - simple cheap but effective.

Wow don't I babble on! Bear in mind that even if someone has the same wheel it will be slightly different and have different tollerances to due to manufacturing variances and wear to yours so to blindly follow what someone else says (even if they are an alien) will not always reap the best results - you have to take on board what they say regarding setups (car and hardware) and then use that to produce settings that work for you and your own hardware.

True they maybe not all bad as I say I'm not great at set ups, but I really need those online set ups form the mods which make the car so much nicer to drive IMO.

As for a FPS you just get your gun go hunting, sim racing just takes a bit more of leaning curve but when you have cracked deep joy ! :)

You might go hunting but do you hit any thing,or just spray and pray. But with practice a AK47 is a lethal tool on short burst or single shot. the same could be said about the loud pedal and a Cobra.
power is nothing without control.. knowing when to give full gas that only comes with practice (or bravery):laugh:

I had 2 problems with the default setups, which made them very oversteery (that a word? :O_o: ).

First was the diff lock for power-for my driving I tend to need this set to be a bit more forgiving.

Second, I found that I was setting the steering angle WAY too high. I use my wheel at 270 deg, so I now set the steering at 5 deg, which has stopped most of the twitchiness.

If you look in the setups section, there are plenty of options, but most don't stray too far from the defaults

Paul, I'm not gonna tell you I know a lot about setups, but I will tell you that I know a lot more than I did 3 years ago. All I did was change one thing at a time and take the car for a spin. Do this over and over on a track you know like the back of your hand.

Generally, if your car is oversteering, tighten/stiffen up the front and/or loosen/soften up the rear. Reverse that for understeer. Different combinations of sway bars, dampers, and springs, can be used to stiffen or loosen. The same combo doesn't work for all the cars. For example, one car might like stiff dampers and springs but a soft bar, while the other will be the opposite case.

Just mess around and see what everything does.

Oh, in GTL, I usually run the softest spring all around, then I put the dampers pretty stiff with the sway bars as soft as allowable to start. Then I adjust from there. I will usually tune twith the dampers first, If I don't get what I want then I start to mess with the bars.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back