1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Featured Sim Racing: What's Hot and What's Not in 2017 - Part 4

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment News Editor Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +10,556
    Part 4.jpg
    Now for the exciting bit... after wrapping up some of the more interesting things to come out of 2016 we turn our attention towards what we think should be on the horizon during the next twelve months...

We have only just said goodbye to what has been a pretty strong year for sim racing and now, as is our human nature, we are very quick to discard what happened in the past and turn our full attention towards the expected highlights from the coming year. Of course one cannot predict what the future holds with any kind of certainty, and of course we hope 2017 has a few surprises in store as well, but we thought it might be fun to have a quick look at some of the things that should be coming our way as time continues its onward march.

Project CARS 2 should make an appearance

pcars 2 - 4.jpg
    Funnily enough as I write this piece a few leaked in-game images from the new PCARS title have crept out onto the internet, once again showing off an impressive visual experience that will no doubt be at least the equal of its visually stunning older brother.

Studio head Ian Bell has confirmed that with a fair wind PCARS 2 should sneak out onto store shelves sometime around September, again as a cross platform title for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Of course at such an early stage of development many of the features and content within the sim are open to speculation, however with so many alleged images already in the public domain it can be safe to assume the already seen Porsche, Mercedes, Mini, Mitsubishi, Ford, Lamborghini and the rumoured Ferrari brands will be present in the title, capping off an impressive array of some of the worlds finest machines.

We already know loose surface racing and Rallycross will be added to the new game, with a promise of "lots of interesting new tech", however It remains to be seen if SMS can pull one out of the bag and substantially improve upon the occasionally sublime and often infuriating original. Should be a fun ride finding out.

Forza Motorsport 7 comes to PC
    Forza.jpg
    Following the pretty embarrassing Apex release and the subsequent slightly troubled launch of Horizon 3, the expected 2017 Forza Motorsport 7 game will the first fully fledged Forza title to come out for Windows 10 PC, sitting alongside the usual Xbox One version of the game. One assumes that Turn 10 will continue their tradition of alternating Horizon / Forza releases, hopefully seeing FM7 drop during the upcoming year. No doubt excitement will be high as players sit tight and see how Turn 10 manage their most high profile PC release to date. Sadly very little information is known at this stage, other than leaks on the Fanatec forum confirming the existence of the game and various rumors doing the rounds indicating the possibility of bikes being added for the very first time in the franchise history. Personally I'd take that with a little pinch of salt as it is very much unsubstantiated and would prove a rather large departure from previous releases.

If Turn 10 stick to form it would not be a surprise to see the game officially confirmed during the upcoming E3 event in June, with a potential release around Q4 2017.

New Reiza title scheduled to emerge from the shadows
    Reiza.jpg
    'Reiza 2017' could quite possibly be one of the most anticipated sim racing games of the last ten years if the various message board antics across the interweb are to be believed. We all know Reiza Studios are held in very high regard amongst the sim racing community, strengthened considerably by the studios admirable behavior during their successful crowdfunding campaign and the early development of Automobilista, so much so that a mask of anticipation seems to be hanging over the sim racing community as gamers await the first solid news from Reiza's new, as yet untitled, racing sim.

Very briefly mentioned during the crowd funding promotional material as 'Reiza 2017' and featuring a new graphics engine plus dynamic weather and time of day, 'Reiza 2017' has the potential to become a very successful racing simulation indeed. From the snippets of information I can gleam from various sources on the internet it appears that 'Reiza 2017' will very likely contain the assets from AMS alongside new content and will continue to use the core physics engine in place within AMS, albeit with modern graphics bolted on top.

Of course with a project so short on publically announced details and only in its very early stages of development it is a bit of a risk to say it might see light of day this year, however I feel safe to say that at the very least we will all be treated to considerably more information that we have a present by the close of 2017, and with a bit of luck beta early access could well be available. I really hope so as this is one I'm looking forward to a great deal.

RaceDepartment Le Mans Series returns for Season 7
    RDLMS Intro.jpg
    RaceDepartment are ridiculously proud to be hosting our seventh season of the RaceDepartment Le Mans Series (RDLMS) this coming February, utilising the impressive EnduRacers Endurance Series modification for the class leading rFactor 2 racing simulation. We will be running a league for up to 40 cars consisting of anywhere between two and six drivers each, utilising both the Prototype and Grand Touring classes of the Endurance Series V1.00 modification. As has become the standard with our RaceDepartment leagues we will be presenting a series produced to the highest professional standards, with seriously well organised teams and epic races across some of the finest tracks available currently in rFactor 2. This is the beginning of a return to form for rFactor 2 leagues at RaceDepartent, we can't wait to watch it all unfold out on track!

Ferrari Legends coming to Assetto Corsa
    AC Ferrari.jpg
    As we mentioned earlier, its been a pretty good year for the Assetto Corsa guys with a wealth of new DLC vehicles and some other interesting developments with regards to the actual simulation itself. Heading into 2017 on the crest of a wave, Kunos published a nice end of year blog giving fans a hit of some of the stuff coming our way during the next year of development. Of course a lot of the things planned for AC will undoubtedly remain under wraps until the studio feel it is the right time to make an announcement, however one of the more interesting pieces of information to come from the team was the fact that Assetto Corsa plans to celebrate Ferrari's 70th birthday this year by giving fans the chance to vote on the seven legendary Ferrari's they would most like to see coming to the sim, to be followed by a 'Ferrari Legends' DLC package featuring the fan choices.

Firstly news of new content in AC is always well received, plus the added prestige of the Ferrari brand must never be underestimated as a very positive draw for players. However the idea of fans voting which car they want to see in the game is one of the most interesting, and impressive, things I've heard in a long time. For far too long in the gaming industry in general players haven't had a strong enough voice within the development process of a game, and this initiative by Kunos I feel should be applauded. Ferrari have very many exciting cars from their impressive range, and to be given the opportunity to vote for one to add into AC is pretty special in my opinion.

Also already in the pipeline for 2017 include some new free content - A fictional racetrack, the Mazda 787B, the Miata NA, the new Maserati Quattroporte and the new Audi TT plus new DLC from Ferrari, Alfa Romeo and Maserati plus of course the recently teased 'British Pack', featuring the mysterious "latest line-up from McLaren, Lotus and maybe, something more" - hopefully Aston Martin...oh yeah and Laguna Seca too...

2017 should be a good year for AC... Looking forward to it!

Simbin Studios to reveal more about it's new racing game
    simbin.png
    The return of the Simbin name with support from Sector3 Studios came as quite a welcome surprise last year, bringing back to sim racing one of the true greats from a golden era of our hobby. When the studio closed its doors back in 2014 and many of the staff regrouped to form Sector3 we thought that was the end of Simbin, now it appears it was only just the beginning...

Headed up by the brother of Sector3 Studios CEO Chris Speed and benefitting from technical support from the team, the new UK based developers will have big plans for the years ahead. Already having announced their intention to develop a racing game for PC and console using the latest generation technology, sim racing fans will be spending much of 2017 eagerly awaiting any kind of news regarding what this new/old studio have in store. One assumes by the fact the studio has been revived and announced publically that a fairly substantial game is already past the thought process and in early development, however news as to exactly what this will be remains a closely guarded secret.

Will the new Simbin pick up where the old one left off and take RaceRoom Racing Experience over to console? Will the team recapture its former glory and create the long awaited third instalment to the legendary GTR series of games? Could 'Race 17' be in the works ten years after the original? Or will they surprise us with something totally different? Only time will tell how the venture works out for this legendary name. If its half as good as their previous releases then its going to be epic...

Don't forget to check out the Club Racing scene here at RaceDepartment! We have a whole bunch of interesting events across most sim racing games. Take a look at our Club and League Racing Calendar for more info.

Stay tuned for the final part of our series of articles "soon"!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 28
    • Love Love x 7
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  2. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium

Ratings:
    +563
    Well ain't this a surprise, here I am thinking it was all done with part 3, and WHAMO, there's part 4, with part 5 coming soon, very sneaky:sneaky::sneaky: @Paul Jeffrey.
    Personally, not interested in Pcars2, unless by some miracle it evolves into a true sim, never was keen on the pCars title, reminded me of Shift 1&2 on roids., but I do wish them the best for 2017.

Forza 6, I have no interest in at all, can't see it tweaking my interest either.

Kunos & AC will continue to do what they do best with their sim, here's hoping they will get all the cars sorted with v10 of the tyre/tire model, would also be nice to see Kunos release a few more tracks in 2017, so we have a greater choice of dev laser tracks, as I find many of the community tracks are lacking in some areas, but that's just my personal opinion.

Will the SimBin Phoenix rise from the ashes?
    The return of SimBin, while it's good to see them back, I don't think they will be the same as they were, but it will be a nice surprise in 2017 to see what they have to offer. Maybe we will see a GTR-3 in the future after all, and hopefully it will be an all in one purchase price, with some nice DLC to boot.

The RD Lemans will be a success, it's been incredibly popular for six seasons so far, so the seventh will be worth watching the live stream.
    Reiza's 2017 is the one I'm going to be watching, these guys have impressed most of the community with their attitude and communication. I'm seriously looking forward to the next release from Reiza, they've done so well with AMS, can't wait to see what they have in store with "Reiza 2017".

What I'd like to see in 2017 is for all the planets to align so a miracle can occur, and all the devs get together and create the ultimate racing sim. I can dream cant I :laugh::p:roflmao::roflmao::D

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Angry Angry x 1
  3. Dajonaga

Dajonaga

Ratings:
    +10
    Exactly! ;);););):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +339
    The Simbin news is more of a rumour than a true fact. Besides two news items on RD i have not read a single word of confirmation about Simbins return. Feels like GTR3 which suddenly became R3E together with the so called hidden bankruptcy of Simbin to reorganize and make a start through with another companies name.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. M D Gourley

M D Gourley
    Premium

Ratings:
    +199
    Holy Moly...I feel giddy with excitement for all of it, especially for Reizas' next installment...LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. neuer31

neuer31

Ratings:
    +88
    Wow another hater ... PCARS 1 is a true sim. End of discussion. Otherwise plz provide proof (besides the camber bug). Typical hater argument with "reminded me of Shift 1&2 on roids.".

Very professional journalism here - not. Those are rumours atm, nothing more (that goes also for some infos about other titles mentioned in this article) - just saying because of some rumours that it "could quite possibly be one of the most anticipated sim racing games of the last ten years" is downright unprofessional and bs.

__
    P.s. Sofar I liked to read that series btw.
    __
    P.p.s. Sry that this came across a bit wrong, (my fault) as I never really learned how to get things across without raising people's eyebrows - also partially a translation thingy. Apologize for that.

• Sad Sad x 5
    • Angry Angry x 5
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. c172fccc

c172fccc

Ratings:
    +39
    Sometimes, not responding to negativy on something you like (or that you are emotionally attached to) is the best way to go, just saying...

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Sad Sad x 1
  8. Slyfrequency

Slyfrequency
    Premium

Ratings:
    +369
    Considering Rieza has grown to be one of the biggest names in sim racing and it's player base has grown since Automobilistas release, I see nothing wrong with what Paul said.

Go and Play Project Cars :thumbsdown:

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Love x 2
    • Haha x 2
    • Sad x 2
    • Angry x 1
  9. Specter1994

Specter1994
    Premium

Ratings:
    +31
    PCars is a really good game, but as simulation...it is lacking;
    • exaggerated grip;
    • approximate tyres calculation ;
    • the grip on the green is the same as the tarmac;
    • when you have a litte jump the car is forced by the game to stay in contact with the tarmac by some algorithm/mysterious force.
    Is it a true simulator? No.
    Is it a really good game (and the only one with night/day cycle)? Yes, of course.
    I'm a hater because I think (proof on hand) this game isn't a true simulator? No.
    You are a little salty? Yes.

Why do all of Goku's former enemies become his friends? Who knows

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  10. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    Premium

Ratings:
    +563
    Thanks @Specter1994 couldn't of said it better myself ;):thumbsup:

Cheers

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  11. Vincent.C

Vincent.C
    Another WEC driver ! Premium

Ratings:
    +96
    Ferrari Legends, British Pack, new free content... it will be an amazing year again with Kunos Simulazioni !

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  12. JoeNathanYouTube

JoeNathanYouTube

Ratings:
    +19
    Any features though? Will the AI become competent? Timed races?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Angry Angry x 1
  13. Associat0r

Associat0r
    Banned

Ratings:
    +101
    Plenty of other titles and mods praised here on RD and in this article are also lacking as simulation. But somehow, PCars always needs to be singled out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Sad Sad x 1
  14. Specter1994

Specter1994
    Premium

Ratings:
    +31
    Well, I was only giving proof about why PCars is not a "true simulator", as asked before.

No simulator can be perfect, they SIMULATE the reality, and SIMULATE is different than how actually a tyre/suspension/trasmission work.

Project Cars is a racing game, a little bit more simulative than GT/Forza/"insert here a console racing simulator", but you can assume by yourself it's less precise than rFactor/AC/Automobilista/ "insert here a PC racing simulator".

Anyway, we can keep talking about "how much bigger is this game's skittle than this other game" for years, but I'll be honest: if a game is fun for you, keep playing it! No matter how much "simulation value" it has.
    I'm still enjoying GT2, wich has a lot of added difficulty :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +10,556
    Nope its a fact :) I'm going to their office to do an interview on Wednesday next week in fact :)

• Like Like x 20
    • Love Love x 4
    • Wow Wow x 2
  16. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +10,556
    Wow, just wow.

I aim to please ;)

• Like Like x 4
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  17. fortyfivekev

fortyfivekev
    Premium

Ratings:
    +318
    I'm very happy to play anything made by Reiza but I think "Reiza 2017" needs to be more than just AMS + shiny graphics. They certainly need to get more mainstream licensed content (more European and US tracks as a minimum) to add to what they already have if they want to move up to the AC level of sales.

I have some great memories of playing Forza 2 which is the only reason I have any excitement at all for Forza 7 on PC. It's a shame they just seem to churn out the same game every two years. With some physics improvements it could be great but I doubt it will happen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. JayJayRaceinho

JayJayRaceinho

Ratings:
    +85
    for 2017 i'm curious what the newly formed simbin and the gt-legends developers will bring up. if they use r3e sounds and raise the immersion level further... pcars2 or even forza7, hmm, maybe. physics not so important for me.... a 6/10 is enough :D ffb on the other hand is important, but a good ffb-engine is developed one time and it's good and done (or not? :confused:). But hearing rf2 and also reiza will push the graphics-level too, and the upcoming GT Sports which i'm still not sure about this one regarding physics/handling, hearing their a lots of floaty cars from people who tried gt sports on one of their events....well, yeah 2017 could be an interesting year in sim(cade)-racing.

but like someone mentioned a few posts earlier, it would make sense to have less companies working on several half-baked racing-games.

19. Ole Andreasen

Ole Andreasen
    Hey... wait up!

Ratings:
    +113
    Some like-a dis, some like-a dat, some like-a dat odder ting... regardless what your preferences are - I think 2017 is going to be a smashing year for simracing. And that is good enough for me. :):):)

• Like Like x 7
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +256
    There is a lot of talk these days about living in a bubble and being out of touch with the wider reality. Reiza is undoubtedly popular at RD and its player base has indeed grown since Automobilista's release. However, data from Steam indicates Reiza still has a tiny market share. For example Assetto Corsa has more than 10 times the owners and current users than Automobilista.

• Agree Agree x 3