1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Sim Racing Shoes

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Decenten, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Decenten

Decenten
    Driver of the #73 Team OGMRZ Holden V8SC Premium Member

I need to know for a research project whether racing with shoes (thin or normal soles), barefoot or with socks is faster. Opinions are definitely welcome. The more their are the better my project will be.

@Bram @Chris Stacey @Aidan Keranen @Kjell Eilertsen @Sun Levi and more peoples

2. Sun Levi

Sun Levi
    Premium Member

It depends on the persons comforting preferences in my opinion, and of course depends on what pedal set your using, socks/barefoot doesn't make a difference for me, with shoes I'm much slower but It's because I'm not use to it, the increase in weight and size changes the way I'm using the pedals.

So I honestly think it's just down to what your comfortable with.

3. Aidan Keranen

Aidan Keranen
    #4 2KF1 Racing RDGPC|LoL/RL Caster@AussieGamingTV Premium Member

Mate, I wear socks, I wear shoes, I go barefoot. edit: not to mention slippers
    It doesn't matter, I use a Xbox controller :roflmao:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Haha Haha x 1
  4. Chris Stacey

Chris Stacey
    Ted Kravitz Appreciation Society Staff Premium Member

Personally I feel more comfortable with socks. Just personal preference. No single method is "better" than another.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson
    Technical Administrator Staff Premium Member

I used to be that way round, now I'm the other.

When I had G25 pedals, even with some modifications with shoes my foot was just too heavy to control and brake effectively. Added with not being able to feel the pedal at all through the soles I just couldn't get it together.

Since moving to a heavier pedal-set with load cell brake I had to wear shoes as it just plain hurt to not wear them. It took some adjustment to get comfortable with it but I even find it difficult to race g25 pedals without shoes now too. Pretty much proving in my eyes that what ever your comfortable with is what is fastest.

As for what shoes, I don't use anything fancy, any slim fitting trainer with a flat-ish, non-textured/shallow grooved rubber soled shoe does the job comfortably for me.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43
    Nice apex, I'll take it! Premium Member

I use socks. Barefoot on cold metal? No thanks :D
    I can't be bothered to spend money on thin shoes when 2 pairs of socks would do the same job.

7. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Socks or barefoot for me (depending on the season :D). Maybe shoes when I had a state-of-the-art pedal set, but as I am on my default G27 pedals socks are okay for the optimal touch :thumbsup:

8. ML2166

ML2166
    If quizzes are quizzical then what are tests?

Heat holder socks, with the rubber grip pattern on the bottom.....keeps yer feet nice and toasty, and a little grip for the pedals. :p

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sri Sri

Sri Sri
    Premium Member

Socks in the beginning, than with a brake mod in, it is socks plus shoes

BTW wouldn't it be better if you started a poll?

10. Mach

Mach
    #47 G.R.Webb Sidecar Racer 1962-1972

I currently use DFGT pedals...(pah) with a squash ball jammed into the brake pedal...(works a treat) so currently socks....there's little enough feel in them already.....

To answer your question, Faster or not??? I may be missing the point but it has never really been about the equipment....

11. Mick Aspinall

Mick Aspinall
    Premium Member

When I used a G27 it was always socks, anything else would stop me getting a good feel. Since I switched over to T500rs with a brake mod, I found wearing just socks to uncomfortable. I tried various foot wear but settled on Gul Neoprene shoes. They provide the right amount of cushioning and grip (for me), I can drive now for hours in comfort and with a perfect feel for the brake pedal. I would say its all down to personal preference:)

12. Rob Gray

Rob Gray
    Premium Member

I used to go barefoot. I tried socks but my feet were too slippery. I got a set of real karting boots for xmas 2014 and have been using them ever since. It took a week or so to get used to the feel but now it's about the same. Not faster but more comfortable. My bare feet would get sore. Now they don't