Sim racing community. Can't we just get along...?

Well, for me it's just simracing is a reflection of society.

There are few main factors.

One is that people struggle to recognise the good job done by others, and always think (almost always without even try) that they would do better, so it's rare to see respect and a fair judgement about what others do. This applies to game development, league organisation, driving skills...

Second, it's that we are all taught to consider individual success as the only kind of success, so not many people wants to work for anything that won't report him at least "prestige" (aka ego boost). In simracing communities there is usually not money involved so this means to have MY league, MY own community, MY whatever, so all the credits come to ME individually, or maximum to a very small and recognisible group of persons.

When you work for a bigger organization this doesn't happen, I can name staff that does a hell of a work organising but the credits go to RD, as abstract entity, so they never became "popular". In this case are persons thinking and acting for the collective success, but sadly this mentality is scarce, and therefore from time to time we meet persons that raise this ego battles, generating a lot of convulsions in the community, with former friends breaking, splits and sometimes even insults an disrespect.

Another factor it's the anonymity of internet, it's easy to judge and disrespect persons when you can hardly have empathy for a nickname, that's why it is so important to humanize the accounts, showing the person behind. Of course there persons that would be mean anyway, but not the majority.

Regarding tastes, what is simracing and what is not... all that is debatable and dissagree can be very healthy if it's in a good ambience and there is respect and will to have fun debating, and not humilliate the others.

How to change it? Education in different values, but not just in simracing, in life.

Don't worry, I know that Fernando is faster than me - and even Felipe! And yes, I understand the message!

And really, I just race for fun...

I don't know why anybody would expect that people in sim racing are cured of fanboyism. They are clearly not. For some reason that has to be biological (because you find it wherever you put together 5+ people sharing a topic of interest) humans love to endlessly ramble about the tiniest detail. PC or mac? Vi or emacs? Gnome or KDE? Mercedes or BMW? Real Madrid or Barcelona? samsung galaxy 5xzy or 5xyy?

The only clear thing is that pcars is not a sim. Yes, I'm just human and could not resist the flame allure :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back