PC1 Sim racer to real racer?

apex11

@Simberia
Well guys I'm popped on here to say that i'm due to test a Mini Cooper race spec car at Silverstone national in next few weeks. Having never driven a race car before but only having played 'sims'.
Current sim of choice is PCars and AC.
Plan is to practice on those titles then do a comparison and all will be uploaded to youtube channel.

I'll pop back in with some links if anyone is interested in following it. Just a bit of fun really.

Cheers, I'm using Clio Cup in PCars and FIAT abarth race spec in AC.
Very excited. Must confess I've just done 15 odd laps of Donington Park national yesterday in a retro saloon racing car, part of the deal was i drive that first.
But not taking anything away from the project that was the first time i'd done Donington Park ever aside from PCars and I knew it like the back of my hand, it felt like i'd driven it thousands of times, because i had in the virtual world.
The regular driver on the day (he's has won races in it) got a time of 1.28 ish, my best was a 1.34 ish.
That's taking into account me driving at about 90% max and being very polite letting past faster cars who were testing and also not wanting to break the car!

But yes, guys. If nothing else this lark helps greatly with track knowledge and lines and hitting apex's. I feel it gives even more than that though.

What sim's don't give me is that feeling of being claustrophobic in the car all strapped in with helmet on and big protective seat and sitting so so low.
But you could make your rig that claustrophobic, problem is i am claustrophobic!! As soon as i was strapped into the car i wanted to get out!! Its hot uncomfortable and not the place for people scared of being trapped!

Also tires are so much more grippy than in some sims. The grip from race tires is exceptional and so progressive.

But look, i'm not driving anything major here, but its fun to compare and contrast..

Yep that is why race drivers do use sims to get used to the layout of the track and make plans for their race, simulate passes at particular corners etc. They know it's not the real thing, but it's practice that counts and in real life practice costs a lot of money.

Perhaps it is worth trying the mini challenge car in AMS. Although the only silverstone is a mod track, and I don't know what layouts are available. Have fun with the test, sounds fun!

I think pCars does front drive cars very well, it should be good practice.

BTW, I also bought a race car and raced it in the States with the SCCA. On the entry form where you put race team name, I was "sponsored" by Montgolfier Watches and Zipanol lubricants...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 223 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%