Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista.jpg

The weekend is behind us and it's Monday once again. To help alleviate some of that disappointment, let's have another Sim Discussion Monday!

The subject of choice this week is the mighty Automobilista from Reiza Studios. Starting out life with a very Brazilian theme before undergoing it's current expansion to cover all things motorsport, Automobilista has come on a long way since the early days under GSCE branding.

Now featuring plenty of the bells and whistles expected of a modern racing simulation, plus an impressive collection of cars and racing series from a diverse cross section of the motorsport world, AMS is something of a little known gem in the sim racing landscape.

I will be running one of these each Monday, for all the major sims, as a place to get some community feedback on the game itself and everything associated with the title.

Let's use this as a place for some user reviews and a central spot for all things AMS. Found a good mod you want to let people know about, tell us! Have a particular favourite car or track? Well shout up! Know some tricks to get the game running in its sweet spot? Fire away! Want to muse about future content coming to the sim, or want to beg the developers to go out and secure a particular licence agreement? Well now you can... !

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 1.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 5.jpg

Back when AMS was proposed, I stated (here on RD?) that Reiza would have to improve their graphics of the existing GSCE content to be marketable. Reiza just happened to do that; revisiting material not once, but two or three times. That is an impressive feat considering how much they have in their library, how much new material has been added, and the fact it works in dynamic lighting. I suspect the biggest future challenge will be increasing cockpit detail to the level VR users have become accustomed to.

rFactor 2 is the only other sim to have received as many graphic overhauls. Unfortunately for rF2 fans (yes, that includes me), despite a smaller content library, the overhauls have never been completely finished before the next one began. At least the material is all up to a minimum level (I hesitate to call it a standard), where it is supposed to be compatible with DX11, but I believe only some of it uses the new shaders. Coupled with consistent minor graphic bugs/imperfections (e.g. forgotten brake glow on new McLaren?!?) that aren't fixed in a timely fashion, you can see how tough the job of maintaining a content library is.

AC's strength lies in the number of cars released that seemingly never have graphic bugs/imperfections and look good in the lighting engine. Sadly, I cannot say similar things about their tracks, where the look/feel is all over the place and anything beyond the track surface is often a fiction (skybox at Brands Hatch, missing brake markers at historic Silverstone). As they continue to pump out cars and ignore the tracks, it is clear they do not have the desire to undergo any graphic overhauls where it is sorely needed.

I don't recall any major graphic overhauls in RaceRoom nor are they likely to need them soon. Old tracks get some updates to match detail levels and new content is released with better details, but to my knowledge there hasn't been a revamping of shaders or lighting engine.
There are no specific new shaders for rF2 DX11 yet. What exists is a bunch of mods and skins that were not done right to run even in DX9 and then these mistakes are visible with DX11 engine. New shaders will come later I think

There are no specific new shaders for rF2 DX11 yet. What exists is a bunch of mods and skins that were not done right to run even in DX9 and then these mistakes are visible with DX11 engine. New shaders will come later I think
I thought there were some new shaders that are available for DX9 that also happen to make DX11 better? Or is it just they are new? The shaders were announced when NOLA was released. I don't recall if they are only applicable to tracks or if they could be used on cars.

I thought there were some new shaders that are available for DX9 that also happen to make DX11 better? Or is it just they are new? The shaders were announced when NOLA was released.
Ah those were new yeah, but not exactly the ones they said that would appear due to DX11 if I remember right. What they made were make public correct settings for materials and skins since now the engine is processing things that were not before.

But anyone who says the graphics are terrible is just ignoring, for one reason or another the provided information in the user guide, which explain how to setup the AA options. The old engine means that a little bit of extra configuration is required to get the AA working correctly, since Nvidia and co have long since removed the dx9 optimal settings directly accessible from the drivers (CSAA etc). But with the add of some Sparse Grid Super Sampling the jaggies disappear very quickly. This information has been in the user guide since the initial release

Sorry Alex, those screenshots are very poor.

This is F1 Championship Edition from 2006 on the PS3. It's graphics are light years ahead of Automobilista, despite being eleven years old now.

This is F1 Championship Edition from 2006 on the PS3. It's graphics are light years ahead of Automobilista, despite being eleven years old now.

This is an unnecessary post Ben.. and harsh considering how hard these people work..
To me the screenshots Alex posted are very photorealistic.. not photoshop realistic.. but more like exactly what it would look like if I was standing there looking with my own eyes.. Nice colour palette and tonal balance. The screens of f1 2006 on the other hand look ridiculous.. I can't remember ever seeing a real f1 onboard that looked that moody and over processed!! - looks like a tech demo...
I suppose it all comes down to whet you like.. I like the realistic look of AMS and iRacing .. others like the more contrasty and HiFi look with all the post processing etc..
I just don't think we need to discourage the developers who I'm sure are doing their very best with what they have to work with.. great Job Reiza!

I've got about 5 years on these driving sims now. Still a complete newb when it comes to a lot of the stuff as far as setup , figuring out mods and so forth.....But gawd dang!! I drive all the sims , but Reiza , I keep coming back to every....single...time!

Not going to lie....I like my RF2 and RRE , and even some AC.....but Reiza is my " go to " sim. I just feel at home when playing it.

Side note ( and this may sound weird ).....But GSC 2012 was my very first driving sim I ever bought ( Besides the old 2002 and 2003 Nascar games )....This sim , actually got me interested in watching all forms of 4 wheel racing. I've raced and ridden motocross my entire life , and if it wasn't for THIS particular sim , I probably , still to this day wouldn't know much at all about the 4 wheel stuff.

Thank you Reiza for giving me a great experience into this world , and creating such a beautiful sim. I've had so many fun nights , burning off stress , and something to do during winter nights , type fun....I don't know what else to say , except thank you!

What? Those two youtube videos don't look anything like AMS. The only thing similar is....there is a car...on a track. You can get that in Mario Kart as well.

The physics? Night and day....as F1 is a freakin' arcade game compared to Reiza's stuff. If " graphics " is all you're looking for , then I suggest sticking with PCars or Forza.

I don't know about you , but when I'm hitting 175mph down the front strait at Imola , I'm not checking out how detailed the grass is. Haha.....sheesh.

People praise Iracing as being the best , and to me , this sim has better physics and looks just as nice. There are other "games " out there that look beautiful , but fall way short on the physic's side. To me?.....AMS is at the top of the food chain here.

To me?.....AMS is at the top of the food chain here.
+1 on that.

As it currently stands, AMS represents far and away the closest we've got a "Complete" sim. It's the best sim available in terms of it's overall package, it may not do any one single thing the best, but it does everything very very well.
  • Price
  • Graphics
  • Sound
  • Features
  • Netcode and Multiplayer
  • Content
  • Physics & FFB

If that looks "light years" ahead of Automobilista to you then you can't be spending much time outside, if any at all, or have any knowledge of models, textures and lighting whatsoever.

Naturally, Reiza might feel the need to add cinematic effects in AMS 2 (or whatever it may be called) to appeal to a wide audience but, if so, I hope there will be the option to tone down graphical effects and choose a more "natural" look. Automobilista looks "clear" to my eyes, which adds to the immersion.

I'm only talking about the graphics.

AMS physics, plus most of it's functionality, are well above all the other sims.

I own AMS and have bought all the DLC, the graphics are dated, this is my only criticism of the sim. I have spent 93 hours on Automobilista to date.

Project Cars has great graphics, but poor physics. I have spent 9 hours on Project Cars.

I was with Reiza since 2012 game stock car And it used to be my goto sim.
Not enjoying AMS much anymore. Not that the physics and FFB isn't better than it used to be.

Do enjoy the FVee and the Vintage. But most of the rest is useless to me.
I do not like the looks of the tracks. It is amazing to me that Alex are putting up those pictures post #89 as they are really what is wrong with the tracks.
The world does not look like this! This is the worldview in a bad camera with 8 bit colors.
The over exposed light and let us just say strange colors used in some textures makes the whole SweetFx scenes pointless as nothing can make the tracks looks natural.
Even with the monitor brightness on zero it is still way too over exposed.

This is not due to the age of the Gmotor it is the shaders and inconsistent use of texture colors.
Easy to make Rf1, GTR 2 and Race 07 series look much more natural than AMS.
Even more annoying is that it could easy be fixed.
Look at the Tykki track much more natural colors.

I love all the sims...AMS, iRacing, AC, rFactor2, RRE. There are things done well in them all, so I spend time in each. I enjoy the feel of many of cars in AMS, from open wheel to Stockcars. It is fun to drive and that matters most to me. Graphically, my least favorite of all sims mentioned, even using the user manual. Now I have a gaming rig and the graphics on AMS do detract from the experience for me...but I still signed up.for the F3 series, because the drive is so good!
To me, the FF in AMS feels precise, immediate, and easy to react to. I cannot speak for realism.

AMS graphics look perfectly fine. No, not the best.. but iRacing doesn't look any better. Who cares. Do you play these games for graphics? If you do, you misunderstood something critical...

No I don't say that graphics don't matter at all, but AMS is immersive and realistic looking enough, one of only things that truly is bad is the spectators.

Also what kind of graphics settings you use then? Because my 980 Ti can't handle AMS on triple screen with full detail... so what would I do with better graphics, when I can't max the game even now... and 980 Ti isn't bad card. Yeah it would work with 1 monitor, but 1 monitor in driving sims sucks....

It's the same price as Assetto Corsa, you don't expect 10 year old graphics.

Games are bought as overall products. iRacing can get very expensive compared to AC, while losing clearly in graphics. AMS has great physics and overall features

Don't see massive difference tbh while AC looks overall better (especially vehicles). Spectators look derpy in both. Trees in AMS look better than AC to my eye. They are 2D but when driving I don't care, in driving situation they look like real trees. In AC they look sometimes like made of cardboard.

Sky looks good in AMS too, it's not dynamic but dunno if having dynamic sky is super important, when there isn't dynamic weather anyway

Depends also on track, Oulton Park, Brands Hatch, Cadwell and Imola (latest DLC tracks) look very good in AMS. Older base content maybe less good.

Last edited:
New update just came in (v1.4.53)

• Slightly toned down AI aggression on all levels, & reduced AI risk calculation bypassing for overtaking on 1st lap when running MEDIUM AI Aggression setting (HIGH & MAX remain with full bypass)
  • Adjusted series-specific AI corner radius detection (used to decide whether to try switch lines to overtake) to more conservative values
  • Added information for connected devices & other minor adjustments to controller UI
  • Updated Montreal, Campo Grande, Brasilia, Caruaru, Buenos Aires, Guapore, Speedland, Granja, Cordoba, Spielberg & Salvador textures to latest standards
  • Fixed Stock Car 2017 & Curvelo IDs for VX leaderboards
  • Small update to billboard shaders, smoke & dust effects
  • Minor tire wear adjustments to Boxer, SuperV8, StockV8
  • Goiania: Fixed CTD loading short layouts
  • Interlagos: Fixed nightlighting on new road sections in 2017 variants
  • F-Ultimate: Added HALO as a configuration optional
  • StockV8: Added Lapenna´s car & fixed error causing Valerio´s car not to load; Added missing driver talent files; Added 2017 championship option with correct season order & scoring; Fixed glare in night lighting; Fixed LOD flaw in rear fender
  • Montana: Small adjustment on engine torque curve

Update is great. Night racing at Interlagos is really special.
As a part-time gamepad user, there is huge improvement here too. There's no doubting the work Reiza have put in to this. They have really squeezed everything out of it at this point.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back