Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista.jpg

The weekend is behind us and it's Monday once again. To help alleviate some of that disappointment, let's have another Sim Discussion Monday!

The subject of choice this week is the mighty Automobilista from Reiza Studios. Starting out life with a very Brazilian theme before undergoing it's current expansion to cover all things motorsport, Automobilista has come on a long way since the early days under GSCE branding.

Now featuring plenty of the bells and whistles expected of a modern racing simulation, plus an impressive collection of cars and racing series from a diverse cross section of the motorsport world, AMS is something of a little known gem in the sim racing landscape.

I will be running one of these each Monday, for all the major sims, as a place to get some community feedback on the game itself and everything associated with the title.

Let's use this as a place for some user reviews and a central spot for all things AMS. Found a good mod you want to let people know about, tell us! Have a particular favourite car or track? Well shout up! Know some tricks to get the game running in its sweet spot? Fire away! Want to muse about future content coming to the sim, or want to beg the developers to go out and secure a particular licence agreement? Well now you can... !

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 1.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 3.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Automobilista 5.jpg

Pretty cool to see all that love for the hard work, although it's funny at the same time to see all the devotion toward using cheapo mods that don't match the quality of the official content. Boxer, Supercar and the tracks is all I'd need.

Could never figure out what caused the stuttering, so I uninstalled it, but it has some great stuff.

AMS and rFactor 2 , my favourites and best by now. i dont care the graphics if , yeah it would be amazing, but if they have good physics it is enought for me. I am so expectant of the new reiza´s title and waiting for rfactor 2 keep growing in content and simracers!!, i also have iracing but its NOT NOT NOT the same brooo (physics), and so many childish players there, i consider more serius players the ones of AMS and rfactor 2. :D.good day everyone!!

Ok I must be the only one here to actually like the visuals. I can actually see individual parts on open wheel cars, its not state of the art, but above all else it runs smooth, and thats very important, more important than looks at least in my opinion.
You are not alone , many of the guys that race here love the graphics especially if you set them up correctly with NVIDIA inspector and a good sweetfx setting it looks awesome.

I got this game in the steam sale for £6 so really any criticism would be rather pointless as it was a give away pretty much.
I'll be honest having RRE, AC, ProjectCars, DiRT rally, GTR 2, iRacing and GSCE i found myself not playing it much as for me I couldn't get my TX wheel working well FFB wise.... then after last update I tried out the new V8 stock car and it was amazing! Somehow the wheel now works as well as it does in GSCE and game runs smoother.
So yes well glad i own it, will always sling it on and have a blast, when you can pick these games up in sales and for cheap just get them for sure one nights play will get you your moneys worth.

We are in a lucky era for driving / race games, all have pro's and con's but all well worth having. Better or worse is all subjective and personal anyway so you should never try to convince anyone that your preference is the right one, but yes AMS is great and for £6 it is a steal.

I can go from any of these 'sims' and feel at home, yes they each vary in physics and FFB but for the most part they are remarkably similar and the core driving is always the same approach for me at least, i don't ever have to re learn how to drive each one and find it strange when people say they do?

Could never figure out what caused the stuttering, so I uninstalled it, but it has some great stuff.
I'm pretty sure that the engine's poor shadow handling is the culprit. Any settings which ask a bit more of the shadows (shadow blur, shadows on max, circuit objects > medium, time scaling) cause some degree of stuttering, particularly in replays. You have to experiment to find out which of these settings stresses your computer.

The funny part?
Think if they will release VR for AMS...every 100 users only 10 have VR (optimistic)...and half of them, after the first week from release, will post how dated looks the SIM on VR (compared to other titles)...why Reiza should spend time and money on this?
They are moving to a new title so they will focus on it for a proper VR release...
Why should AMS look worse in graphics than Raceroom for example? The physics are even more important with VR, because you just feel if a car makes sense or is more on the Bull:poop:side. And with this essential price-drop of the CV1 the amount of users likely tripled or will. VR is made for Sim-Racing and would be more wise to support it soon, especially with Raceroom, rF2, AC, Dirt Rally, pCars 1 & 2 and iRacing already supporting it.

Why should AMS look worse in graphics than Raceroom for example? The physics are even more important with VR, because you just feel if a car makes sense or is more on the Bull:poop:side. And with this essential price-drop of the CV1 the amount of users likely tripled or will. VR is made for Sim-Racing and would be more wise to support it soon, especially with Raceroom, rF2, AC, Dirt Rally, pCars 1 & 2 and iRacing already supporting it.
I think it will looks awesome, I was referring to some VR users attitude...

I'm a big fan of AMS and Reiza's approach to the community. I used to split my simracing time between AMS and AC but this year I just find myself starting AMS 90% of the time. I find the feel of the cars in AMS (with a T300) to be way less floaty than with AC or rF2 which I guess just comes down to the FFB. I am a big fan of the junior single seaters like the FVee and F3 and the Caterhams as well. Despite being fairly average I really enjoyed the recent TT competition and I hope they do some more of those.

Looking forward to hearing some details of the new sim in the hopefully not too distant future.

Good to see AMS getting some well deserved praise here, it's a fantastic sim!

I see lots of comments with people complaining that the game doesn't have VR or that the graphics are outdated, but what really matters for a racing sim is the driving experience which AMS delivers in spades. Reiza are a small studio and obviously have very limited resources so I think they deserve a lot of credit for staying focused and getting the basics right. If they can build on this and add VR and nicer graphics in their next title that will be the icing on the cake.

I find the feel of the cars in AMS (with a T300) to be way less floaty than with AC or rF2 which I guess just comes down to the FFB.
100% agreed. Real track driving is raw and responsive. It seems like Reiza truly understand the importance of latency. Advance tire modelling is important but if it introduce too much latency then it's not worthwhile.

I use to play AC, R3E, RF2 & AMS. Then i was lucky to have an opportunity to go for a few real life track days. On my first lap out, the only sim that came to my mind was AMS. From then on, it's just AMS mostly for me.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 81 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 59 9.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 66 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 40 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 92 14.3%