Show us your Rig / Cockpit

Upgrading is a habit.. there aren't many sim-racers who don't want to improve their experience... it does get expensive, but I don't holiday or go down the pub or race on track very often so pour my hard earned in to my hobby.

Pretty much this.

I don't overly enjoy holidays, not expensive ones - i could happily do tenerife for £295 per person once a year and not spend a penny out there...but my stupid cousin is getting married posh abroad which is eating the best part of £1,200 for me and the Mrs, i keep thinking what else i can spend that on!

I wanna carry on sorting my setup out, it's my only hobby (apart from £3.50 a week football) and i don't really go out either, so i suppose it's possible!

I sold the Geko in September to make room for the Next Level Racing Motion rig, but the motion platform part was pre-order only , due late September... which moved to December after they redesigned and improved on it following initial launch and now to January due to some parts shortage.

It's possibly not so quiet as the Geko (which I found virtually silent for the 18 months I had it) but it's one of the quietest I have heard aside from that.. take a peek.

It's a 65" Samsung UE65JU7500 4K Curved TV, 17-21ms input lag. The 55" has higher and the 48" higher still! Easily the best visuals I have experienced to date and buttery smooth. Rig build is missing one component though... and in January I will have Motion back
Thats a properly fast, and expensive TV! :p
I'm not too bothered with motion, but Ive got the Next Level Racing wheelstand so if I ever go that route its gonna be that one.

@heideracer that looks awesome, my father is a joiner by trade so i really love the craftsmanship in your wood skills, really really good. How do these kickers work though? Is it just bass that rumbles your butt?

Thank you!
have you heared of simvibe? This program translates physics data to vibration and is not simple bass sound from game audio. You can direct certain effects to a choosen transducer (which is a kind of inverted loudspeaker - light weight voice coil is static - heavy magnet is moving) e.g. road texture, motorvibration, collision bumps and more. It adds a lot to immersion. Some call it poor man's motion simulation. You find threads about it here at race departement.

I sold the Geko in September to make room for the Next Level Racing Motion rig, but the motion platform part was pre-order only , due late September... which moved to December after they redesigned and improved on it following initial launch and now to January due to some parts shortage.

It's possibly not so quiet as the Geko (which I found virtually silent for the 18 months I had it) but it's one of the quietest I have heard aside from that.. take a peek.

Sorry but am I the only one wondering why would anyone want only a seat wobbling around? Would you like to drive a car without the seat being bolted? I just can't see the point paying for such thing when it only creates unrealism :unsure:

Progress...

Sim-1.jpg

Sim-2.jpg

Sorry but am I the only one wondering why would anyone want only a seat wobbling around? Would you like to drive a car without the seat being bolted? I just can't see the point paying for such thing when it only creates unrealism :unsure:

Speaking only of my own experience with 2DOF G-Force simulation and 3DOF Seat movers and 3DOF seat/wheel/pedal movers (I have no practical experience of whole rig inc screen movers aside from a ride in a space shuttle simulation) I think it's about what works for you individually - space, immersion and cost... and how practical what you are looking at is for you as an individual needs.

Personally, I cannot afford nor have the space or even the desire to for something that spins me, the wheel/pedals and the monitors around in space.

Originally I was after a 3DOF rig after having the luxury over 3 days with one on my stand at a show a few years ago (lots of after hours racing with my team went on I can tell you). I got motion sickness after extended use and a bit of whiplash too, but it was like a fairground ride in front of a 24" triple screen setup that did not move and I found it hard to get over that, despite thinking "I must have one of these!" for a couple of years...

The Geko fitted my requirements when I got it and completely changed my views completely on wanting a rig that moved my wheel/pedals and I'm a complete convert to g-force s[t]imulation.

I found some space to get a proper racing rig in August and the Geko no longer was a practical solution... I wanted something more racey... but I loved the silence of the Geko and the way g-force simulation fools your brain and decided that I did not want the motion sickness of a rig mover and that 2DOF was good enough for me having had a bash at Codies HQ on a D-Box setup.

So here I am! As I say, it's personal choice and immersion, if it makes you unhappy, then no-one is forcing anyone to agree.

I'd like to have a go on one to see what it's like, especially if it gives you more feel of what the car is doing - if it doesn't then i guess in a few years that'll be more realistic.

I'd assume it's just another point of reference, we already have FFB in the wheel which gives an idea about what the car is doing, so having an extra POR in your butt would help!

And @MrPix one your stand? What? Where?

A lot of really awesome rigs in this thread! I liked in particular the wooden rig built by @heideracer. Pretty impressive craftsmanship, not to mention creativity to come up with what must be the ultimate rig when it come to transducers and other vibration effects. Plus it looks to have so much adjustability that I can only wish I had the skills to try to replicate its concept myself. Beautiful work, just beautiful!

Mine is a (never ending) work in progress comprising of 42" triple screens, a SimXperience AccuForce, a set of Heusinkveld Pro Pedals, a couple of shifters from Thrustmaster, one being a TH8RS for the H pattern shifting and the other a TH8A for sequential shifting and an iPad Air currently being used as a button box/secondary dash.

Everything is mounted to a Stock Car cockpit made by "Extreme Racing" (Reiza's relative company) which, contrary to normal expectations, is extremely (pun intend) stiff and stable unlike some of its similar and more common counterparts.

I still have a Static Pro-Race by SR Hardware and a TrackIR kind of put to the side at the moment but will probably add them back at some point.

I'm planing on adding some four or five mini buttkickers controlled by simvibe in the future, but that might mean I'd have to reconsider building another rig frame completely from scratch. I'm not sure yet, specialy having seen @heideracer 's clever rig.

So, that's my rig atm, criticisms, tips, ideas or just your impressions are most welcome!

Cheers to all! ;)

ss9Zk4L.jpg

In action:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back