• You don't get fast in order to take part in club races, you take part in club races to get fast!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Should I reinstall Windows when switching from nVidia to ATi?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Péter Bártfai, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Péter Bártfai

Péter Bártfai

Ratings:
    +110
    I'll replace my 7600GS with a Radeon HD5570. I've read a couple of forums where they told that simply uninstalling the nVidia drivers might not be enough and can cause problems. So is it really recommended to reinstall Windows when making a switch like this?

2. Lars Brugman

Lars Brugman

Ratings:
    +743
    What windows do you have?

3. Péter Bártfai

Péter Bártfai

Ratings:
    +110
    XP Home (32 bit)

4. Lars Brugman

Lars Brugman

Ratings:
    +743
    I can't help you then sorry:(. I use win.7 so don't know what XP does.

5. Jesper Taulborg

Jesper Taulborg

Ratings:
    +130
    Uninstall Nvidia drivers normally.
    Then run driver sweeper to clean the remaning files.

Thats what I did when switching from Nvidia to AMD(ATI).
    I havent had any problems.

6. Jim Cole

Jim Cole
    Premium

Ratings:
    +122
    Having issues from uninstalling drivers is rare, but does happen due to poor software programming for the uninstall utility. Other than running Driver sweeper as Jesper suggested I would also run ccleaner to make sure that there are no other issues in the registry.

7. Brian Hodgins

Brian Hodgins

Ratings:
    +8
    90% of driver issues can be avoided by uninstalling in safe mode. Your system will be using a generic VGA driver, so a normal uninstall will have a better chance of getting everything. Using a driver cleaner app is not a bad idea either, also in safe mode :)

8. Péter Bártfai

Péter Bártfai

Ratings:
    +110
    Thank you guys for the help, I have installed the card yesterday, works like a charm:)