Should I Get Assetto Corsa?

I'm sure several people have already asked this here, but I don't feel like asking somewhere else.

I've toyed with the ISIMotor titles these last few months and they all have some great mods that make them all worth getting. Though it's quite sad to see that there isn't a lot of mods being made for any of them these days as they did back then.

I'm thinking of giving into the crowd and buy Assetto Corsa (on sale) just because everyone seems to be modding it now, I saw some people making Supertouring cars for it which was enough for me to consider getting it.

Is it still as good as it was a year ago though? I've seen people mope about things like features that are still missing or aren't working properly, the base physics being constantly "changed" for "accessibility", and that the AI still aren't that great. The AI is what's holding me back as a solo-only player.

Just as a disclaimer, I don't mean to start any fanboy wars here. I'm just asking for opinions from long-time AC players, as somebody coming from playing rFactor.

Last edited:
Was just thinking this same question should I get AC. Was just reading about how using the sim racing system you can pretty much get a race at any time as people are actually using it with AC. AI is my biggest bugbear with any title so I would be looking for online only as I know ai is not up to rf2 ams standards

Was just thinking this same question should I get AC. Was just reading about how using the sim racing system you can pretty much get a race at any time as people are actually using it with AC. AI is my biggest bugbear with any title so I would be looking for online only as I know ai is not up to rf2 ams standards

All games have trouble with AI.
In AMS they are very aggressive. Yes you can adjust this, still trying to find the correct value. Also in some combos I can't follow them even at 90% and in others I destroy them, even at 110%.
Same for rF2 , which also they don't seem to be affected by rain as me, thinking that maybe they cheat on physics.

Coming to AC, yes they have issues too, but I find myself restarting way less because of stupid accidents and if you treat them like real people, you are going to have really enjoyable fights.

In all games, racing actual people is way way more much fun though.
Now that AC fixed the netcode and collisions, online racing in leagues or AB MR rating or recent SRS , is truly epic.
In AMS I don't enjoy driving that much.
RF2 is also epic, but you need leagues since there are way more small amount of players.

All in all, everyone with a decent FFB wheel, IMO should by AC asap ( same goes to rF2, AMS not that much).

Last edited:
A lot of people seem to talk about multiplayer being an alternative to dealing with AIs (aka Actual Idiots). I'd love to join you all but my ping rates are terrible.
I just swapped to a DSL connection from a pocket Wi-Fi device just yesterday and yet it's still not fit for online play. It's only the best I can possibly get within my area :(

A lot of people seem to talk about multiplayer being an alternative to dealing with AIs (aka Actual Idiots). I'd love to join you all but my ping rates are terrible.
I just swapped to a DSL connection from a pocket Wi-Fi device just yesterday and yet it's still not fit for online play. It's only the best I can possibly get within my area :(
I can understand that, but just as there's a physical limit on your broadband, people have to realise there's also a physical limit on what AI can be expected to do. They will always be second place to an experienced human opponent.

I'm definitely seeing improvements, especially in GT. The AI certainly has weaknesses, but Kunos have shown that they'll continue to make the AI better.

I can understand that, but just as there's a physical limit on your broadband, people have to realise there's also a physical limit on what AI can be expected to do. They will always be second place to an experienced human opponent.

I'm definitely seeing improvements, especially in GT. The AI certainly has weaknesses, but Kunos have shown that they'll continue to make the AI better.
A proper Artificial Intelligence, able to simulate real time human decisions, with its unpredictability, specific behaviours, multiple defensive manouvres, bait attacks, alternative lines, etc., it's something that we'll never see in the near future in any racing game, because it requires more lines of code of an entire videogame.
Even the best implemented AI at the moment, in rF2, can only give a dumb experience compared to what you can achieve in MP against "thinking" actual opponents.
And, league or club events apart, given that there is a rating system like iRacing or AC's Minorating, there is the possibility to enjoy MP experience also in public servers, rid of wreckers and heroes of the first turn.

I've started dabbling online using the SRS, (not an online player) and for me its made AC a awesome sim, its rid the worst thing about AC - the AI- and introduced an iracing like online system. I wish there was more cars and tracks and maybe more races every hour which you could choose from.

I've started dabbling online using the SRS, (not an online player) and for me its made AC a awesome sim, its rid the worst thing about AC - the AI- and introduced an iracing like online system. I wish there was more cars and tracks and maybe more races every hour which you could choose from.
does online run well ?? are collisions ok ?? the take up of SRS has made me very intrigued after staying firmly away from AC. i play ams/rf2/r3e mostly but would love to be able to drop into decent online races anytime as i work shifts and quite often can't make RD races

does online run well ?? are collisions ok ?? the take up of SRS has made me very intrigued after staying firmly away from AC. i play ams/rf2/r3e mostly but would love to be able to drop into decent online races anytime as i work shifts and quite often can't make RD races
Online runs really well now (as long as pings aren't too high), but it really depends on who you race against. I've been doing nearly all my online racing on racedepartment and I've always had a good online experience. But the public servers can be mayhem, I only did some tourist days at Nords and people just act like their driving stolen cars. So I avoid public servers completely. Sim racing system attracts the right people, but they're very short races. Not very fulfilling after doing 40-60 minute races on racedepartment.

YES you should, variety is great :D

You're on the premier simracing website on the net asking if you should get more of your hobbies :D c'mon now. It's inevitable that you will get it, question should be posed differently but I think you get my point, I'm just nit picking. AC has the best weight transfer feeling of any sim to date. Laser scanned tracks for peanuts, an improving GT3 roster (the most popular racing series), great graphics. The rest that needs to be improved people have touched on. If you really want AI I guess dont get it, I have no idea how they are honestly.

The best AI was in NFS Porsche Unleashed (Dylan was my nemesis :D, miss games like that ugh ), and ever since then the allure of offline AI racing has been history. If racing against 60 1s and 0s is your thing apparently there's bad new for you, in any sim for that matter it's just bland. I've beaten this horse well under 6 feet in the ground. Just go online :D.

The new black cat tracks though bring back a feeling of NFS PU though, only with proper sim feel, it's the breasts. That new sounds plus roaring v12s of 599xx Evo, Zonda R, LaFerrari ..... really, 'should you get it'. Have you bought it yet?

What makes AC my sim of choice with over 665 hours since may of 2015 is the communication of the car behaviour through the wheel. I can sense almost everything including oversteer, understeer, wheel lockup, and weight transfer. The car is always talking to me and the resolution and scale of communication differs from car to car, even with those in the same category, all while easily being believable.
I also own Raceroom racing experience, GTR2, GT Legends, Race 07, and Automobilista (which is very close to AC in terms of feel and offers a superior formula experience to me).
Raceroom was my first sim and it's really immersive thanks to beautifully desgined tracks and almost uncontested soundtrack. It lacks in the ffb department but physics seems to be ok. Stock FFB is really what kills this title for me as I feel like I'm driving blindfolded unlike in AC. I have been able to get decent wheel settings for certain cars I drive often but jumping into another car requires more tinkering. I have about 50 hours on it as of today.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 300 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 427 39.6%