Should I Get Assetto Corsa?

I'm sure several people have already asked this here, but I don't feel like asking somewhere else.

I've toyed with the ISIMotor titles these last few months and they all have some great mods that make them all worth getting. Though it's quite sad to see that there isn't a lot of mods being made for any of them these days as they did back then.

I'm thinking of giving into the crowd and buy Assetto Corsa (on sale) just because everyone seems to be modding it now, I saw some people making Supertouring cars for it which was enough for me to consider getting it.

Is it still as good as it was a year ago though? I've seen people mope about things like features that are still missing or aren't working properly, the base physics being constantly "changed" for "accessibility", and that the AI still aren't that great. The AI is what's holding me back as a solo-only player.

Just as a disclaimer, I don't mean to start any fanboy wars here. I'm just asking for opinions from long-time AC players, as somebody coming from playing rFactor.

Last edited:
And why don't you ask him the same? :rolleyes:
It's "her", not "him".
And he doesn't ask me cos he doesn't need to, everybody knows that rFactor 1 is now outdated.
Everybody knows about the "floating" problem, we can't feel the track... Too much grip, even in the best mods... No dynamic road... (Assetto isn't the best about that but it's getting there) etc.
Tyre model WAS good but has been updated dramatically in Automobilista and of course rFactor 2.
Since v1.5, Assetto Corsa's tyres are infinitely better, and yes of course much better than rFactor 1.
Have you tried Assetto Corsa recently? (tyre model v7)
I have both and I'm afraid I can't play rFactor 1 anymore.;)

For a driving experience, yes.

For depth of driving and racing, no.

AC feels ok but the cars are made almost entirely on feel with variables designed around that style of creation rather than the ISI route that demands more hard numbers than most modders will ever have (hence the unpopularity of rFactor2 from a modding perspective). That said, slow (low) track grip, moody weather and a classic DTM or Group C prototype is a great experience in AC.

However if you want racing I would stick to AMS, rFactor 2. The AI is much better in those sims. AC AI tend to drive in two predetermined grooves and struggle to overtake. Even when a GT3 is behind a street car they will not manage to overtake.

Multiplayer online racing AC is more popular and has a higher population but I find the races in AMS and ISI titles are more satisfying when you get one (which is not nearly as often).

It took me some time, but I admit...
After trying most simulations and using threads everywhere on RD...
I finally noticed how annoying the rFactor "community" is...
Completely different from the other ones...
They're usually much more arrogant and agressive too. They're 100% sure to be right, and the rest of the world should shut up.:thumbsdown:
At least that's my experience after writing on Automobilista, rFactor 2, and Assetto Corsa forums...

R u trying to skip proofing your words by re-doing the question?

No, I simply wanted to highlight your bias :)

I think that rF isn't outdated compared to AC (we are talking only about physics) because I don't see anything from AC physics that make rF outdated, simple as that. Unless you consider movable wings a basic feature, but I don't see any known racing series using them.

The fact that many racing teams and drivers still use rFactor nowadays makes me think also that it can't be that much outdated, but hey what do they know ;)

It's "her", not "him".

Sorry, didn't know.

And he doesn't ask me cos he doesn't need to, everybody knows that rFactor 1 is now outdated.

Everybody knows about the "floating" problem, we can't feel the track...

I have shitloads of road feeling in AMS, which is basically rFactor with certain rFactor plugins. No floating either, I must be the only person in this world that didn't know about the universally accepted floating problem :/

If you can't feel the track it's because you are likely using tracks that have very simple track mesh resolution, which was quite common some years ago.

Too much grip, even in the best mods... No dynamic road... (Assetto isn't the best about that but it's getting there) etc.

The quality of a mod isn't linked to the capabilities of the game. You can also make cars in AC with "too much grip" and doesn't mean either that the game has "too much grip". It's up to the car physics guy.

Tyre model WAS good but has been updated dramatically in Automobilista and of course rFactor 2.

As I said, Automobilista is basically rF1 with some addons (that were avaiable for rF1 too). If it feels dramatically better it's because the physics guy of AMS knows what is he doing with the engine.

Have you tried Assetto Corsa recently? (tyre model v7)

Yes, and there isn't much difference compared to the previous models, except that some tires finally have some heat, and racing cars are a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit more slidey over the limit (still brutally easy to save any slide though).

I have both and I'm afraid I can't play rFactor 1 anymore.;)

That's perfectly fine. Having said this, I recommend AC to anyone that doesn't own it yet and likes simracing.

I have shitloads of road feeling in AMS
Me too!
Right now I'm starting to convert some old rFactor tracks to Automobilista and it feels great.:)
So it's not the track which is the biggest problem but the cars, at least for me.:unsure:

still brutally easy to save any slide though
Disable all the driving helps.

As I said, Automobilista is basically rF1 with some addons
Which is why I used the word "updated"...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Burrito seems to deserve his name. lol

I think that rF isn't outdated compared to AC
Btw, starting to be a bit off-topic here, but..
If you can't agree that rFactor 1 is outdated compared to Assetto Corsa...
Would you agree at least that he's now outdated by rFactor 2 and Automobilista?;)
(physics only!)
Then again, it depends on what we call "outdated". But for me, it just means that the feeling I get from other simulations is SO good that for me, rFactor 1 just feels "dull" now.
So I don't think I'll drive it anymore.:unsure:

AC plusses vs. rfactor:
- built in controller+monitor support is more this decade (AMS is sorta halfway, RF2's just as good in this regard)
- graphics look better, dx11 support blah blah
- track surfaces are way more detailed (95% laserscanned - exceptions black cat county + historic Monza for obvious reasons, and Zandvoort to test the waters of producing cheaper content)
- apps are easy to write so there are tons of UI addons for download
- content's easy to install and doesn't conflict (no reason to have a dozen different installs for each content pack you want)

AC's ffb is also much less subject to 3rd party tweaking realfeel style, so there's less subjectivity, either you like it or you don't, you don't need to go hunting for the right settings. Personally I think it does an excellent job of representing realistic feedback.

S
You mean rFactor 2, right?
Cos rFactor 1 is now completely outdated compared to Assetto Corsa in terms of physics.:rolleyes:

Sorry yes, I was talking RF2 and not 1. Not for the reasons you mentioned, but that was the one I was alluding to.

In fact, I'm not entirely sure I agree with what you said if I'm honest. It's still a nice sim to drive in to this day.

Sorry yes, I was talking RF2 and not 1. Not for the reasons you mentioned, but that was the one I was alluding to.
In fact, I'm not entirely sure I agree with what you said if I'm honest. It's still a nice sim to drive in to this day.
Well, these days I'm having lots of fun with Automobilista and now I'm trying to make the Historx mod working on it.
If we follow the logic of David Dominguez, Automobilista IS rFactor so I guess we can agree on the fact that rFactor is definitely a great "basis" to build an even greater mod.:)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 351 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 244 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%