PC1 Should I buy pCARS or not

Ihab Abbas

Premium
Hi there,
It is decision time to me "Should I buy pCARS or not"?! and to answer this question I have to ask some questions.
1- Do you consider it as a racing simulator when it comes to physics like rfcator and Race07 and iRacing, I want also the rfactor and iRacing guys to answer?
2- Does it has a respectable online system that allows bunch of cars to compete or not?
3- Should I pay one time payment or monthly payment like iRacing?
4- What is the best minimum computer configurations that could give out the maximum performance with every thing on maximum as graphics and frame rate?
Best

Knut Omdal Tveito:Q: Do you see yourself in the same field as iRacing, ISI and Simraceway - or are you playing a different field altogether?
A: We're a more realistic GT5 and Forza 4 for the masses and multiplatform

that just mean that they play in the same leak as gt,forza.but it dos not mean "The game is aimed at the Forza and GT5 type of racer".or should he say, o yes we have an break even from 250 000 copy's but 50 000 are enough for us.:)

Nice analogy. But if you told me dinner was fillet steak well done served with french fries and when I finally sit at the table, mash potato served with mushy peas turns up, would you proclaim that dinner as promised? A reasonable person would be upset about the false hope and description.

Be reasonable.:sneaky:

It's not done. How would you know what you is being served? Your analogy fails.

1. One does not plan to be "4 month away from proper physics" or "FFB in it's earliest state" like you stated.

If that's your point, of course it always were clear that it takes some time like I already added to another guys reply. AFAIR it always looked like it takes at least 12 month or more until everything is finished. But that's kinda natural in development.

2. Different physics assets across platforms. Nope, that's the opposite of what SMS people said.

We will see how that turns out.

3. My position isn't up to discussion in this thread ;)

I think there's a mistake here
Indeed, it was just a mistake.

I got lost on your reply Kazumi. Let's recap. I said:

We are at least four months from having proper physics built into the game, and FFB is in it's earliest stages. IOW, it's not ready yet.

to which you replied:
I know they are saying that now but it's not exactly what was planned.

to which I replied:
How are you in a position to know what was planned?

So that's where we were, but then you replied with this:
1. One does not plan to be "4 month away from proper physics" or "FFB in it's earliest state" like you stated.

If that's your point, of course it always were clear that it takes some time like I already added to another guys reply. AFAIR it always looked like it takes at least 12 month or more until everything is finished. But that's kinda natural in development.

2. Different physics assets across platforms. Nope, that's the opposite of what SMS people said.

Which I'm not understanding. It was decided at the outset to redo the physics and FFB. That process is ongoing. The rough estimate of completion of the physics is four months. There is no estimate of when the FFB will be finished. So no one is "planning to be four months away"... it's just where we are at the moment.

As for your 2nd point, I'm not sure what you're going on about. If "that's the opposite of what SMS people said", then you're going to have to come up with where they said something different. Otherwise, you're just making stuff up to fit your narrative.

[rant]
There are a half-dozen haters over here that have spent an inordinate amount of time bashing pCARS. On the other hand, there are several thousand enthusiastic simmers trying to advance a project that might change the face of racing sims. A dis-interested party looking in from the outside would come to the conclusion that the several thousand dedicated simmers (from all walks of life and experiences) are more likely to be taken seriously than the half-dozen haters over here pissing on everything that is pCARS. Why? Because there's precious little chance that you few haters are right and several thousand intelligent, well respected members of the sim community are wrong. I know that your hate is clouding your judgement, but can you really sit there and proclaim that your tiny little club of haters has better insight than thousands of other people? People who include not only professional game designers, but also drivers, engineers, racing media, etc., etc.

If you had taken one tenth of the energy spent in constant bashing and lie spreading and instead directed that energy toward providing feedback on the SMS forums, we might already have some additional good ideas built into the game. Instead, what do you have? Nothing. You certainly don't have the respect of the sim community. Claiming yourselves somehow "purer" than everyone else because pCARS isn't "hardcore" enough for your tiny little hater club doesn't elevate you amongst the sim community. It just makes you look small and sad.

[/rant]

As for your 2nd point, I'm not sure what you're going on about. If "that's the opposite of what SMS people said", then you're going to have to come up with where they said something different. Otherwise, you're just making stuff up to fit your narrative.
Will there be differences between the PC and console versions?
There will be no differences between PC and concole versions w.r.t. core tech (physics engine, FFB, gameplay). The console versions will probably use less sophisticated graphics because of the less powerful hardware, and they will be locked at 30 FPS like most console games.
Can console owners still contribute to the development of Project CARS?
Of course they can! Since the PC version will be representative of the console version, testing the game on PC and giving feedback will affect the console version just as well. Furthermore, posting ideas, comments and feedback on the forums about the game in general and about console-specific things in particular will help with developing the console version(s) as well.

That's from an older (a few weeks at least) FAQ from WMD so I'm not sure if it's still available.

OK, point taken. One could argue of course that they are using the same physics engine but with some more sophisticated modules not present, but it's true that the console version will not have all the physics aspects of the PC version.

You do of course realize that,

A: This is not an indication of some conspiracy or a willful misrepresentation on the part of the developers. It's just the reality of the low power of a seven plus year old gaming platform with many more limitations than current gen PC's.

B. These trade-offs are made by all developers who port to consoles.

C. Things change. If you have an expectation that you can drag out a six month old FAQ and every aspect will be exactly the same, or that an original design document is somehow brought down from the mountain cast in stone like the ten commandments, then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

. Why? Because there's precious little chance that you few haters are right and several thousand intelligent, well respected members of the sim community are wrong. t]

LOL, so which part of crap FFB, dodgy driving model and steering precision don't you understand, also, are the animations going to be addressed, it looks like I'm in fast forward when I go over curbs, with bouncy fast and unconvincing car movement.

Now that we know consoles are going to have console only physics and a 30FPS cap, I think we can safely say there's no sim on console, and given it's current state on PC, we can also say there's no PC sim at the moment.....and it remains to be seen if the driving model with it's gripfest/brakefest feel, poor FFB and ordinary steering precision{especially at Derby, as it's not so bad elsewhere} is improved to point of even approaching sim status.

That said, with the quality of GFX, the support of Nogrip and Vlr and the 1000's of respected members of the sim community onboard, there's no reason to think this won't succeed as a business model.

OK, point taken. One could argue of course that they are using the same physics engine but with some more sophisticated modules not present, but it's true that the console version will not have all the physics aspects of the PC version.

You do of course realize that,

A: This is not an indication of some conspiracy or a willful misrepresentation on the part of the developers. It's just the reality of the low power of a seven plus year old gaming platform with many more limitations than current gen PC's.

B. These trade-offs are made by all developers who port to consoles.

C. Things change. If you have an expectation that you can drag out a six month old FAQ and every aspect will be exactly the same, or that an original design document is somehow brought down from the mountain cast in stone like the ten commandments, then you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.
I do realise that, still I can compare that objectively to the original plan or 2 weeks ago (based on facts of course)

Yes, I know some of the current physics assets are efficient with low latency and multiplatform in mind, because that was required for their projects, others are older, and some are I dunno honestly (Physx collision if they still use that - you'll find different opinions on it from reliable sources, IMHO for quick triangle - convex collision it's more then sufficient and it seems to run with less issues then Havoc on consoles (judging from programs that utilize it - of course it can depend on these devs' integration, I can't say) )

So you are just saying that you wish you could like the physics as much as you do the gfx.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry but I did not mean that and I am afraid to say you are wrong. It is not about me liking or not liking it. It is an objective comparison between real life physics and a software that claims to have real life physics.

Plain and easy-to-understand advice from a paying customer to potential customers. Having owned a driver's license and driven a lot of cars for more than 10 years, I know what is close to reality and what is not. That simple. Seems clear enough for everybody else but of course you can not expect everyone to understand everything in the same way. But no need to repost to clarify my posts for people who already got it. Looks awkward. Thx.

I`ve tried the game and i sow its way different than what i am used to.For the graphics..pff theres nothing to say,its mindblowing ( for me atleast ) but for the feeling i belive the work will last for ever.
The game in the status it is now its not bad but its not great either and i realy hope that it will turn in a option to chose from SIM games.I will make my decision when i will test the finished game and only than.
I didnt open the game for some time and i dont think i will till its done.
In the meanwhile i am making laps around RD and watch Pro`s and Con`s discution that leads to nothing than hate even if its from one side or another......the end result matters.

I just recently installed pCars. I've spent a couple of hours trying out various cars and tracks and do not understand why there is so much controversy. pCars is certainly no worse that RF2 and in my opinion is a worthy and capable sim that isn't even complete yet. I have noticed that there seem to be a group of individuals that relentlessly criticize the sim in with countless posts in multiple threads. I'm not sure what the motivation is for that but it seems a bit over done.

I'm also fascinated by people who base their perceptions of realism on other sims. None of which are actually realistic!

I find the cars to be fun to drive. I have no idea of how realistic the cars behaviors are because I have never driven any of them. I do feel that they represent high performance vehicles in a way that is believable and in that respect, pCars is no different that any of the either sims in circulation.
I have no idea what people mean when they say that they do not feel "connected" I have an ECCI wheel and do not use force feedback and as a result my impressions of the cars are based solely on their responses to my inputs. I spent some time with the Formula A, LM and Zonda on Road America and Hockenheim Historic and I found the cars to be responsive to the changes that I made in the garage and able to develop setups quickly after spending some time experimenting. Tonight I'll test out some of the more technical racks to see if my impression changes.
I understand that everyone will form their own opinion in their own way which is fine. However, the vitriolic nature of the attacks are way over the top and should, in my opinion, be disregarded by those trying to get an idea of what the sim may ultimately become when it is completed.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back