PC1 Should I buy pCARS or not

Ihab Abbas

Premium
Hi there,
It is decision time to me "Should I buy pCARS or not"?! and to answer this question I have to ask some questions.
1- Do you consider it as a racing simulator when it comes to physics like rfcator and Race07 and iRacing, I want also the rfactor and iRacing guys to answer?
2- Does it has a respectable online system that allows bunch of cars to compete or not?
3- Should I pay one time payment or monthly payment like iRacing?
4- What is the best minimum computer configurations that could give out the maximum performance with every thing on maximum as graphics and frame rate?
Best

a lot less money than that other title that hasnt really delivered much of anything besides some decent physics. funny how people get all hot and heavy when someone likes pcars but you dont get the same with rfactor 2. a person will just come on here and say pcars is shite or the physics are wank but people who dislike rfactor 2 give clear reasons and are productive with their criticism. for those of you who feel like your being ripped off by pcars, its 25 dollars for something with some promise, rfactor 2 cost me double that and we cant even get frequent updates so it just sits on my harddrive because i absolutely hate it. sure it drives good but when it looks similar to rf1 why go to rf2? people just hate pcars because the developer is associated with those turds known as shift 1 and 2. i dont care about what a true simracer thinks either because if we are at race department than we are all true simracers. most casual console racers would never even find this site. the same guys that judge pcars as if it were a finished product are over on rfactor 2 thread defending it cuz its in beta which is kind of a double standard as they are both in beta.

a l the same guys that judge pcars as if it were a finished product are over on rfactor 2 thread defending it cuz its in beta which is kind of a double standard as they are both in beta.

People at this forum and on youtube are calling it a sim, yet it still feels a lot like S2U by and large, and S2U is a botched simcade game....however, as I said, if they fix up the silly/annoying things, then this could be a great racing game, but IMO, it isn't a sim, and when people claim it is, it insults my intelligence and calls into question what all the established "sims" really are.

I originally called it a sim in my articles because that was what it was working towards. However it seems to have scaled back on that a bit. We will see I suppose.
These are my feelings. I was a big supporter of pCARS from the start and was really quite excited but IMO they have gone backwards and not forwards. It became tiresome for me and i have now lost interest in the title. Too much focus is on the graphics IMO.

. But...Big BUT...pCARS is already very convincing. I have obviously never driven the cars they offer at the moment, but have experienced very powerful cars on tracks, experience tells me pCARS is on its way to be -physics wise- a solid simulation..

Don't you notice the odd way the car reacts when trying to turn in....say I try and turn left{this is with 900deg logi profile}, it's almost always too sharp and I have to twitch back and forth, and regardless, I still feel like the rear is chasing the front as well.

In the first Shift1 demo, it had a very pronounced oversteer snap at turn in, it was even quite evident on a promotional video that included various celebrities driving Shift and aired on our motorsport channel, however, in pcars, it's like that defect's been toned down but is still there.

There's also a bit of sway or rock and roll across the track, which I thought might be down to the sway bars, but upon adjusting them, it got worse.

For me, pcars has steering, FFB, grip and set up issues....which is by and large the same deal with Shift1/2.

Hmm...Haven't noticed this. Some of the odd reactions I have been getting are easily traceable to input lag, which in turn is in part due to FPS issues. In part only.

But the oversteer issue - imo, high steering angles don't mix with strong pedal input.

I turned my GFX down to try and maximize FPS{6850} but it's still there.
It's also my understanding that the numpties at WMD recommend 900deg....or am I mistaken...?

EDIT...
Either way, this is still yet another example of where I can't set up my simcade{Shift1/2/3} cars properly, but have no problems with GTR Evo, GSCar, FVA, rf2 and whilst iceracing wasn't perfect, the madza Mx5 is way more convincing a sim car than anything in pcars, especially if you accept the importance of steering and FFB into the equation.

Steering rotation and lock and front suspension settings is more important then I can put it into words.

However from my observation from other people driving certain sims... what happens if they notice the car don't turn in accordingly? They rotate the wheel more into the desired direction. That's not how I do it... Not how many race drivers do it.

Of course in Shift series it's obvious that they try to allow that behaviour without fighting too much understeer (especially with the default set-ups) by design. So it kinda works out there. It does work on certain road cars or even some track prepared cars in a similar way (but you are likely to fight more oversteer and/or understeer IMHO)

Well,... people will use what works out best. For them. Or for lap times.

Of course (#2) the initial response and feel is very important in either case. I mean it can only lead to improvements (except the car is too twitchy then - although some drivers like it that way especially on narrower tracks or autocross :) )

In reply to OT's original post.

You must remember that you are not purchasing the game/sim at this point, you are paying to join up as a tester of the builds they keep putting out.

IIRC, depending on the level you sign on at, depends on how much you will be offered the full release at along with DLC content, once it comes out.

:)

Great looking game to be fair but, as a user of both rfactor 2 and Project Cars, I must say that rfactor 2 has a more efficient graphics engine (at least for me) though Project Cars looks nicer. Project Cars is not a disappointment but emphasis put on graphics should be put also on the shaky and unstable physics.

on the shaky and unstable physics.

One of the head honcho's of WMD claim it's as good as anything with his magical G27.
I put the 77F1 thing into p9, but I feel I might be able to take p2 at Derby/Don, but p1 must have the magical G27 set up.

I made some adjustments again, {always adjusting these shift games, but sims are usually set and forget}, and despite a mild improvement, it's just not close to being a sim, it really does feel like a digital marshmellow to me.

We are at least four months from having proper physics built into the game, and FFB is in it's earliest stages. IOW, it's not ready yet.

Now here's what's funny. I can tell you this fact, but it doesn't seem to alter your thinking in any way. If I told you that dinner would be ready in three hours, would you sit at the table in five minutes and proclaim dinner a failure? Maybe you would. But a reasonable person would wait until dinner is ready before passing judgement on the quality of the food.

Be reasonable.

Now here's what's funny. I can tell you this fact, but it doesn't seem to alter your thinking in any way. If I told you that dinner would be ready in three hours, would you sit at the table in five minutes and proclaim dinner a failure? Maybe you would. But a reasonable person would wait until dinner is ready before passing judgement on the quality of the food.

Be reasonable.

Nice analogy. But if you told me dinner was fillet steak well done served with french fries and when I finally sit at the table, mash potato served with mushy peas turns up, would you proclaim that dinner as promised? A reasonable person would be upset about the false hope and description.

Be reasonable.:sneaky:

Great looking game to be fair but, as a user of both rfactor 2 and Project Cars, I must say that rfactor 2 has a more efficient graphics engine (at least for me) though Project Cars looks nicer. Project Cars is not a disappointment but emphasis put on graphics should be put also on the shaky and unstable physics.
Just because a game looks pretty doesn't mean they wasted time on gfx instead of physics. The two require different types of programmers. What are the gfx guys supposed to do while the physics guys are working on the physics? "better not make it look too good otherwise ppl will think the physics suck"

I am not just referring to CARS, I think AC is also a good example of not needing to sacrifice physics for gfx or gfx for physics.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back