Should Formula 1 cars have closed cockpits?

The issue is that it needs to work at all times.

F1 cars are designed to disintegrate on impact so you would really have to embed it inside the cockpit or similar. Preferably as close to the driver as possible as that is the safest area.
(the electronics, not the explosives)

this is a disgrace to F1
..anbd no dont provie me with videos of crashes since i have F1 reviews vids that dates back to the early 80s (cant find any earlier on DL)

every driver knows when starting out a career to work all the way F1, that the chances o finjury or death are THERE, and they know this, otherwise, why would they even agree to race for.

This takes the whole entire "lore" of F1, I mean this canopy for jets should of bveen brough tto F1 since the day it got created. What a shame really, All F1 drivers know the risk of loosing a head, im sure they all signed knewing the risks, thats why this a non contact sport, Grosjeans actions should never be repeated as much as they should have never even existed.

Just like plumber, he knows the risks of gettin :poop: it on, but he does it anyway.

I disagree with this glass crap. :thumbsdown:

this is a disgrace to F1
..anbd no dont provie me with videos of crashes since i have F1 reviews vids that dates back to the early 80s (cant find any earlier on DL)

every driver knows when starting out a career to work all the way F1, that the chances o finjury or death are THERE, and they know this, otherwise, why would they even agree to race for.

This takes the whole entire "lore" of F1, I mean this canopy for jets should of bveen brough tto F1 since the day it got created. What a shame really, All F1 drivers know the risk of loosing a head, im sure they all signed knewing the risks, thats why this a non contact sport, Grosjeans actions should never be repeated as much as they should have never even existed.

Just like plumber, he knows the risks of gettin :poop: it on, but he does it anyway.

I disagree with this glass crap. :thumbsdown:
The Circus Maximus in Rome was also more exciting because the gladiators actually fought until death, but that doesn't mean we still need to have it today.

Ok, i voted No. just because im a bike nut as well, will they soon ban bike racing...
As there no way to protect the rider other than what he wears around him at speeds that reach over 200 mph....

I'm sorry but I wouldn't like to see closed cockpits on Formula 1 cars. After all, the open cockpit is part of Formula 1 since...well...ever. That's a valid reason to me.

The picture in the OP reminds me of the X2011 (Gran Turismo 5).

Red-Bull-X2011-Prototype-11-570x320.jpg

I personally think that F1 should be kept with open cock-pit but of course the safety of a driver is very important too as we live in an age were the safety of each individual is very important.
But I was wondering, isn't there any other innovative solution to this particular issue? :)

I think the reason for drivers poor and reckless driving is due to F1 being too safe the drivers feel indestructable. I would like to see grass and gravel back so if you make one mistake you are out of the race. Then drivers would leave a gap. And back out of a closing gap. Make it safer by making it more dangerous.

I think the reason for drivers poor and reckless driving is due to F1 being too safe the drivers feel indestructable. I would like to see grass and gravel back so if you make one mistake you are out of the race. Then drivers would leave a gap. And back out of a closing gap. Make it safer by making it more dangerous.
Making F1 more dangerous to make it safer may sound clever, but it will raise the odds of freak accidents (like Massa's) occuring. Reckless behavior like Grosjean's isn't the only reason why enclosed cockpits are being demanded.
And don't underestimate the chances of flying debris injuring a driver. Massa may have been the only one who actually got hit so far, but there have been a couple of close escapes (for example the piece of debris that cut off Button's rear mirror in Spa last year, it sure wouldn't have taken much for that to hit his head).

Making F1 more dangerous to make it safer may sound clever, but it will raise the odds of freak accidents (like Massa's) occuring. Reckless behavior like Grosjean's isn't the only reason why enclosed cockpits are being demanded.
And don't underestimate the chances of flying debris injuring a driver. Massa may have been the only one who actually got hit so far, but there have been a couple of close escapes (for example the piece of debris that cut off Button's rear mirror in Spa last year, it sure wouldn't have taken much for that to hit his head).

The safety of open-wheelers is being questioned in general, I believe, not just in F1. Massa and Maria de Villota suffered serious accidents (Maria's even more so, sadly) because they had no real protection to their heads.

But others in other classes or series have died. Dan Wheldon and Surtees knew the risks, alright, but their deaths could have been prevented - and as experts say, easily. And that is the real shame in all this.

Nor is it the first time anyone else has before her.
That´s my point. It´s one thing to have incidents like Alonso/Grosjean but when you are involved in straight-line tests and drive straight into the service truck then you have to suit yourself really.
Had Maldonado crashed even harder in Venezuela when he did the demo it would be entirely his own fault, not F1´s fault.

I think safety is good for F1, i´m open to the idea of canopies but i don´t think we should count accidents like that and say "see, F1 needs to get safer" No, Maria needs to stop driving racing cars and it will get safer.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 360 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 501 39.0%