Shock News: Mercedes to Quit DTM Post 2018

They can build race cars and road cars with good old combustion engines adapted to run on hydrogen. Only small adjustments and we can go on - and they are easy to refill. BMW shows this for year with their H2 cars(iclusive an V12). Even those expansive and unreliable fuel cells aren`t needed.

Wait till the hype is over: "Sorry but e cars suck on sales and now we are going to hydrogen cars.. they are totally green and usable like your good old gas guzzler- buy it and keep refuelling it on your local gas station which our friends of shell, BP, Chevron etc have just adapted to sell hydrogen." :whistling:
Hydrogen cars are simply nonsense. In industrial volume hydrogen is made of methan and we already have CNG cars so what would be reason for hydrogen cars? Additionally it is not so easy to store hydrogen.

Speaking of CNG cars, now in the era of "green energy possession" they would make much more sense than electric cars. Maybe Formula CNG is on its way ;).

No.
I choose what sim racing I want to do. If I have a choice of Electric F1 sim and GT racing in a sim or another old one that still uses traditional gas guzzlers, I think I know which one I'll be playing on.
I don't have to enjoy one form of racing over another but I do. It is still a choice.

But that's my point they aren't guzzling any gas mate, they are pixels.
I love motorsport and i do find myself watching Formula E as its racing and i like to watch people race.
Making out some how it can only be racing if it has an engine spitting out fumes is bonkers.
Yes the noise isn't the same but this is the future, all i'm saying is get used to it as the manufactures are going into it in a big way.

Some things to note about SIM Racing:
Raceroom is often stated to have the best sounds.
On this very site, there are downloadable sound updates for many of the cars in Assetto. To make them sound even more realistic.
Gran Turismo is possibly the most criticized game for it's unrealistic sounds. They are compared to vacuum cleaners.
You see: Sound does matter. If not then why all this talk about it? Imagine racing sims where every car sounds like Gran Turismo 6?

Hydrogen cars are simply nonsense. In industrial volume hydrogen is made of methan and we already have CNG cars so what would be reason for hydrogen cars? Additionally it is not so easy to store hydrogen.

Speaking of CNG cars, now in the era of "green energy possession" they would make much more sense than electric cars. Maybe Formula CNG is on its way ;).
Sorry to tell you mate, but your infos are complete nonsens and from 1932. :whistling: The times and the tech of the Hindenburg is long time gone... Winning Hydrogen out of coal or CNG is not the way for the huge amount of H2 needed. Hydrogen will be made with electric energy simply out of water, it will be only the vehicle to transport the energy to where its needed. The EU is running this already for years in a field test in iceland. There of cause hydrogen for cars is made with geothermical energy.

But where getting out of topic...

let´s continue to bash mercedes...:roflmao:

Some things to note about SIM Racing:
Raceroom is often stated to have the best sounds.
On this very site, there are downloadable sound updates for many of the cars in Assetto. To make them sound even more realistic.
Gran Turismo is possibly the most criticized game for it's unrealistic sounds. They are compared to vacuum cleaners.
You see: Sound does matter. If not then why all this talk about it? Imagine racing sims where every car sounds like Gran Turismo 6?

No one said otherwise?
None of that matters a jot to the manufactures who use racing to develop technology for the cars they sell and also to help branding of said cars.... Formula E will keep going and growing as the other series start using similar 'motors' eventually the noise of moaning from the old guard will be replaced by the cheers from the new.
I am as gutted as anyone about it, but people need to just accept which way its all going.... I didn't make up the rules.

No one said otherwise?
None of that matters a jot to the manufactures who use racing to develop technology for the cars they sell and also to help branding of said cars.... Formula E will keep going and growing as the other series start using similar 'motors' eventually the noise of moaning from the old guard will be replaced by the cheers from the new.
I am as gutted as anyone about it, but people need to just accept which way its all going.... I didn't make up the rules.
I know it doesn't matter to the manufacturers. It matters to us. The fans. You know, the ones paying all their salary's

What about the Super GT Cars. They are the same. And as far as i know it was planed to made the same engine rules. What happend about this? That could help the DTM to survive.

The biggest problem that Formula E has in my opinion is that you cant watch the races anywhere atleast in Europe, They livestream every qualifying and practise session on youtube but they dont allow you to watch the race because atleast the people in Europe are not allowed to watch it :thumbsdown:. How cares about practise and qualifying sessions with cars that are as fast as f4 cars and sound like :poop:. For a racing series that whats to get more viewers I think they have to change that.

I know it doesn't matter to the manufacturers. It matters to us. The fans. You know, the ones paying all their salary's

Pretty sure it won't affect driving games...
Nothing will stop over night, all I am saying is Formula E has a place and that place its in will increase, like it or not, F1 is moving that way over last few years and now Liberty are on board it will move faster, Moto GP is having an electric series soon, its coming...deal with it.
Plenty of historic stuff to go and watch, just like going to see steam trains... but the future tech is where the money and the great minds are going to be as as such that's where the drivers will try to be...follow the money....

So many of you are saying that electric cars is future: so your future is also no roadtrips.
Electric cars are great for the cities, yes. But there are so many places in this globe where the electric filling stations will never appear outside the city. Siberia. Alaska. Lapland. Faroe islands. South America. I think even the mountain villages of France. So you'll still have to use the ol' gas burners to go there. And as soon as electric cars will get more and more produced - the manufacturers will raise the price on the gas cars a lot. An entry level gas car like WV Polo will cost like Porsche. This is the future you're looking for.

So many of you are saying that electric cars is future: so your future is also no roadtrips.
Electric cars are great for the cities, yes. But there are so many places in this globe where the electric filling stations will never appear outside the city. Siberia. Alaska. Lapland. Faroe islands. South America. I think even the mountain villages of France. So you'll still have to use the ol' gas burners to go there. And as soon as electric cars will get more and more produced - the manufacturers will raise the price on the gas cars a lot. An entry level gas car like WV Polo will cost like Porsche. This is the future you're looking for.

I don't think anyone is saying its our future, at least not one we want, what we are saying is the manufactures see it as the future obviously, why race a car with a petrol engine when you are trying to sell ones with electric engines?
Why waste millions on developing technology on petrol race cars when you are trying to develop electric road ones?
Car manufactures will be able to sex up electric stuff the same way they sexed up petrol stuff, that's what racing is all about...just maybe we aren't its audience, they will be pitching it at the people 20-30 years away......whats the point in getting all stressed about that?

What about the Super GT Cars. They are the same. And as far as i know it was planed to made the same engine rules. What happend about this? That could help the DTM to survive.
Yes. But it was the manufacturers like mercedes who stopped this 2 years ago, by putting down the new engine spec - i think the japanese boys aren`t happy about this, causing no Toyota, Nissan, Lexus or whatever is competing in DTM...

Hardcore experts like me were wondering for months why Mercedes wasn't pulling over to Formula E. Audi and BMW are in there.
DTM lost so many spectators over the years I don't think it can be saved. With a brand like Lexus? Only worst fanboys of the expensive brands attended the races nowadays. No one there had any knowledge of the sport. This event tourism really drove me off this series.
In Germany nobody understood why Audi stayed in after leaving WEC, which is ten times the better racing series for fans, manufacturers, future, nature etc. Nobody with knowledge in Germany understood this.

What makes me laugh is these kids today moaning about Formula E as if the stuff they see on TV now is anywhere near as good as it used to be, WTCC, BTCC, F1, DTM is dire compared to 10 20 years ago, utter pants.
BTCC used to have manufactures falling over themselves to join in now cars are basically all the same apart from body shells, same engines same sound, you simply don't get it at all especially if you are only old enough to actually think we are in some golden age right now!! Its about dead on its arse! Look at WTCC!!

Hardcore experts like me were wondering for months why Mercedes wasn't pulling over to Formula E. Audi and BMW are in there.
DTM lost so many spectators over the years I don't think it can be saved. With a brand like Lexus? Only worst fanboys of the expensive brands attended the races nowadays. No one there had any knowledge of the sport. This event tourism really drove me off this series.
In Germany nobody understood why Audi stayed in after leaving WEC, which is ten times the better racing series for fans, manufacturers, future, nature etc. Nobody with knowledge in Germany understood this.

Too much politics and too less racing ...
Keep the works teams out.
Series dominated by manufacturer teams always die cause of politics and financial overkill.
Series with private teams have long life and better racing...

Didn't Mercedes just recently have a huge falling out with DTM management about BoP where they were about to force more weight on Mercedes even though Mercedes wasn't dominating one bit?

This seems like the childish princess move from Mercedes: We're leaving, if you won't let us keep our advantage. Without us you're nothing!

Pretty sure it won't affect driving games...
Nothing will stop over night, all I am saying is Formula E has a place and that place its in will increase, like it or not, F1 is moving that way over last few years and now Liberty are on board it will move faster, Moto GP is having an electric series soon, its coming...deal with it.
Plenty of historic stuff to go and watch, just like going to see steam trains... but the future tech is where the money and the great minds are going to be as as such that's where the drivers will try to be...follow the money....
You are correct. F1 is "moving" that way. And it's having a terrible effect on it. They are losing fans. One of the biggest complaints is that they are quieter and just don't sound like race cars. The cars just don't have the appeal they once did. Perhaps there will be electric this, electric that. Great. But to say that it will wipe out motor racing the way we once knew it is baloney. Fans will go to see what they are willing to pay for. What they enjoy. If most are not excited about Formula E, then they won't go. If they don't go, it won't matter what Mercedes wants, or VW or anyone else. The consumer drives this whole thing. If the consumer/fan wants something, the manufacturer will build it. They will follow the money. Plain and simple. This electric thing is a test. To see how much traction it will get. When it doesn't Mercedes will say, well "We were totally on board with electric. I mean, to save the world. Huh. Well, we're we're the number one advocate of it. We're the best. But you know, it's just not a viable technology at this time." And that's it. Back to petrol cars. They will make whatever kind of car will get them sales. Plain and simple.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back