Shock News #2: Porsche Withdraw From WEC and Le Mans for 2018

Really sad news. Ive really enjoyed the LMPHs.

I think the top manufacturers should start designing virtual cars instead and launch a sim racing championship. Then we can have all the screaming gas-guzzling v12s and 1500hp turbo engines but with zero emmision:)

I've been thinking on what would be a viable 'manufacturer' alternative to LMP1 now, taking in mind both cost cutting and modern technology but I can't figure it out. Privateer LMP1 yes but without major brands putting in a factory effort it will lose a lot of its attractiveness.

You could say that's what led to the DPi program. I was listening to a great article with Marshall Pruett the other night and he described to whole DPi program. A category that had the budget of a higher end LMP2, would allow manufacturer backing but without the costs involved of LMP1, and with far simpler drivetrains. So far it's worked really well.

He mentioned something that I also found interesting. Factory involvement is great in GT for example but at the end of the day it's the overall winner that get's the press and that's what the manufacturers wanted but not at the same level of cost as LMP1.

Porsche and Mercedes both going E racing...
The reprogramming of the masses is now full on.
'Cobalt' and child slave labour needed for the batteries..
Will that be in the glossy PR crap?

So wish I had gone to Silverstone WEC now .
Gutted..LOVE LMP1 so much too.

I feel privileged to have grown up in an era and have witnessed first hand Group C, Mercedes C9, Group B rally car's, Ferrari 643, Williams FW14, Senna, Mansell, etc, etc.

Now the demise of those stunning prototypes :(

Pass us me gloves..still have the sim !

Last edited:
To be clear nothing against Formula E as a sport, but it is killing other series in a much more aggressive way than seen before
Things are changing, no doubt, but it's not Formula E that's aggressively killing other series but the entire motoring industry is switching to hybrid/electric, so obviously manufacturers will spend less and less money now on old traditional combustion engine development as, whether we like it or not, it's a dead end.
No wonder that manufacturers would rather spend same money developing technology that will be used in 'normal' cars afterwards. And Formula E does allow that.

I reckon the 'traditional' motorsport will still happily live, but without manufacturers so involved in it.

Not really "shocking news" at all to me.

• They won Le Mans 3 times again, thus got to keep the trophy.

• With Audi having dropped last year there was less competition and no new manufacturer is on the horizon anyways.

• The Toyota car was further developed as Porsche had already concentrated on future regulations which were scrapped due to cost cutting after Audi had left. So it would make no sense to run any longer in WEC when you know your car is worse after you had achieved your Le Mans goals anyways.

Once again a very well informed post by you, Andreas. Yes, for racing experts in Germany and close to it this comes with a shock percentage level of zero. Toyota was on the edge of pulling out anyway, so now their decision got a little easier.

Things are changing, no doubt, but it's not Formula E that's aggressively killing other series but the entire motoring industry is switching to hybrid/electric, so obviously manufacturers will spend less and less money now on old traditional combustion engine development as, whether we like it or not, it's a dead end.
No wonder that manufacturers would rather spend same money developing technology that will be used in 'normal' cars afterwards. And Formula E does allow that.

I reckon the 'traditional' motorsport will still happily live, but without manufacturers so involved in it.
Sure, I didn't word that well. I guess it's the fact that it's the only fully electric series so it is getting all the attention rather than if (as a manufacturer) you were looking to advertise your combustion engined cars there is a wealth of choice.

Well, this is probably not going to be the popular opinion today but here goes: Meh. Last years only excitement in the LMP1 was Toyota braking down, this year the only excitement was if they could get even one of the damned things across the finish line. As amazing these machines are when they work, when they don't they really highlight how much better the racing is and has been in LMP2 and the GTE category. The last lap action between Aston Martin and Corvette was amazing. Sportscar racing isn't going anywhere anytime soon, as we can see this weekend with the 24h of Spa for example.

Formula E is the big thing right now and I don't blame manufacturers for trying to get in on it but I do believe we shall see hybrids racing at Le Mans again, though perhaps they will be hydrogen/electric or something else using some sort of fuel cell. I don't see electric being a workable solution outside of racing because I don't know about you lot, but I don't always plan my driving days or even hours ahead and a car that will need to be charged longer than it takes to fill it up at the gasstation will never be a great car for personal transportation.

Possibly related to more VW group emissions recalls. I seem to recall this was given as one of the reasons for Audi reducing their involvement in motorsport too. The whole emissions scandal doesn't seem to have damaged VW group sales in the UK but they must be feeling the pinch elsewhere - US legal costs maybe?

Porsche to recall 22,000 cars over emissions software

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40740886
That is part of it for all the German makes , they all have tie's to one another Via the Porsche family , they all shared diesel tech with each other , remember that Porsche shares the same basic drive-train & platform with VW & Audi for the SUV 4WD cars.
By far the biggest shift is the major move away from diesel power vehicles in City's within the next 20 year to clean power sources be it Electric or Fuel cells or Hybrids. with the massive investment in Wind & solar power within Germany & in other EU nations the move to E-power as gained momentum. The money to be made replacing the millions of car's Buses & Light Transport vehicles , will need a massive push from the German Auto Industry. all that will have played into them pulling out of both LMP & WEC.

Quality comments on RD once again. Buthurt af.

Porsche and Mercedes both going E racing...
The reprogramming of the masses is now full on.
'Cobalt' and child slave labour needed for the batteries..
Will that be in the glossy PR crap?
Never go full retard

The guy who started formula e must be rubbing his hands in glee. Why in the hell would car manufactures spend top money on developing stuff and racing stuff and publicizing stuff unless it related to the products they will be selling now and into the future....

Fact is electric powered racing / motorsport is where its heading but seems like sooner rather than later now.
Like it or not, agree with it or not, its happening.
FIAT will be next with Ferrari in formula e.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%