Shifting without using the clutch...

R

Rocco Uder

• Rocco Uder

...the title fairly says it all, i can shift with using my clutch with my g25 in WTCC class (BMW). Is this how race cars work or is it some sort of bug?

Before someone asks, yes, i´m using manual clutch (i have to use the clutch in 1st gear, but not between the other gears).

• Mikkow

To bring some facts in:

The WTCC and STCC BMW E90 5 speed H-pattern transmission is used without a clutch normally. In Race 07, you should lift the gas pedal on upshifts, and blip on downshifts.

The real WTCC version has some electronics that can do ignition cut on upshift (weird for an H-pattern eh?) and they can program it in unknown ways. But this is not simulated in Race 07, so just keep lifting on upshift.

As for sequentials, note that there's all kinds of sequentials out there. Some only shift and do nothing with the ignition cut/blip. Others do ignition cut only, and some do ignition cut and blip.

In the STCC expansion, some of the sequentials definitely need to be blipped on downshift by the driver, especially the 6 speed BMW E90 version at lower speeds/wet.

• winger

It's possible start with clutch? with automatic clutch?

The manual clutch will override the auto clutch (in GTRe at least); so yes, you can do that.

I also find that I'm slower with the manual clutch & H pattern g/box, but I try to be accurate with my racing, i.e. manual gearboxes for cars that have them, M3 GT for example, and sequential when that is correct.

the auto-clutch is in fact an "semi-auto-clutch". in fact you don't need to use it, but you can use it whenever you want during the race.

it is good to use the clutch for take-okks at the start of a race. it's really tricky to drive with manual clutch with the fast cars, though. i only use it with bmw e90, bmw e46, the wtcc 87, the minis and the stock cars, like the viper rt10. it's nice to do some heel-toe shifting too! :D

it's more difficult, more "real", but a lot more fun, definately!!!

I just check what kind of gearbox the car I'm drivin in, has in real life and depending on this i use my shifting stick as H pattern or as sequential one and auto clutch (manual one at the start) or manual clutch.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back