Resource icon

Cars Shelby Cobra 427 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Hey. It's nice to see people seem to be enjoying the car so far. I was wondering if I could get some feedback. I see quite a lot of positive feedback about how the car handles, but also a fair amount of negative about high speed stability and stability under braking. My own opinion is that if has a little to much rear end lift, and to much front grip especially at high speed which is causing the difficulties in braking and high speed cornering.

We set it up like this as we don't have any real reliable aero information, so it's currently set up based on cobra driver observations and our own feeling.

So I was wondering what people think about these things?

Also we are going to increase wheel spin a bit as the rear is too planed for a car with so much power and torque. We need to increase drag and adjust gearbox inertia to balance increased engine performance with acceleration times and top speed. Some tweaks to the vintage tyres may also help balance these things out.

Also we don't have a Facebook page or anything. I guess I could make one so Facebook users can keep up to date with our progress.

Cheers for any help :)

After a couple of hours testing:
issues:
- braking stability
- high speed corners (rear end lift very noticable, unpredictable and dangerous)
- toe settings are effective in balancing under- and oversteer
- has too soft springs and very soft dampers per default (to the real life original?)
- diff coast at 70/90% and brake balance 66+ gives acceptable braking stability
- more than -0.7 (real value, right screen) negative camber at the front is detrimental in almost every single way
- fuel usage inaccurate (known issue)
- tyre wear / tyre degradation non-existant (Vintage Racing ones) (bug? intentional? known issue?)
- ARB settings and ARB balance effective in balancing high speed under- and oversteer
- setting window for ride height is too high: for acceptable height of ~111mm at max spring values, the ride height sliders are at their minimum (90/0)
- conversely for spring rate (wheel rate): window is too low
- Power and torque (low speed oversteer) can be effectively balanced by the acceleration differential (diff power): the original characteristic (heavy front, low rear end grip, massive power) of the real Cobra shines through well

All in all I think this car has its issues, however it looks and sounds beautiful and shows a lot of promise.
Keep up the good work!

that car is just amazing, it's a miracle how you let this beast lift up its nose when accelerating. and it's indeed an old car so it hast to be quite unstable when you dramaticly break into a tuen.

fantastic work so far!!!

After a couple of hours testing:
issues:
- braking stability
- high speed corners (rear end lift very noticable, unpredictable and dangerous)
- toe settings are effective in balancing under- and oversteer
- has too soft springs and very soft dampers per default (to the real life original?)
- diff coast at 70/90% and brake balance 66+ gives acceptable braking stability
- more than -0.7 (real value, right screen) negative camber at the front is detrimental in almost every single way
- fuel usage inaccurate (known issue)
- tyre wear / tyre degradation non-existant (Vintage Racing ones) (bug? intentional? known issue?)
- ARB settings and ARB balance effective in balancing high speed under- and oversteer
- setting window for ride height is too high: for acceptable height of ~111mm at max spring values, the ride height sliders are at their minimum (90/0)
- conversely for spring rate (wheel rate): window is too low
- Power and torque (low speed oversteer) can be effectively balanced by the acceleration differential (diff power): the original characteristic (heavy front, low rear end grip, massive power) of the real Cobra shines through well

All in all I think this car has its issues, however it looks and sounds beautiful and shows a lot of promise.
Keep up the good work!

Very good feedback, thanks a lot, although most of it has been set up this way according to how the car was originally made and set up and what you did was find the car's weaknesses in real life as well.

The was known to have fairly big bumpsteer plus the factory setup (high rear camber, zero at the front) doesn't help either.

The springs settings are based on factory/recommended settings for the car, it is indeed very soft by default, the highest wheel rate setting is based on the stiffest suspension setup I found for the car. Same story with ride height. We might allow the car to be further lowered but it wouldn't really be in real life (nor for street use today, nor in the 60's for racing).

Diff settings are open in the setup but we'll lower the default power/coast values.

Fuel usage is not yet calculated (will be in the future).

The Vintage Racing tyre was designed for long races, there's a fairly big window without degradation.

We adjusted aero, increased drag, so the car has significantly more power now, to us it feels a big improvement in each department, let us know what you think about 0.2 when it's out! :)

If the high speed aero issues are well documented then they should be in. As for the handling it's a 1950s chassis design with leaf springs (irc) and 400bhp up front....

Didn't Shelby have some road versions returned because the punters were frightened of them?

the_meco updated Shelby Cobra 427 with a new update entry:

Shelby Cobra 427

Sorry for the quick successive updates, but we needed to make a fix.

Current Version
v0.25

Includes REQUIRED FIX for 18/07/2014 base game update
Due to big disadvantage for sequential shifter users, shifting time for sequential shifters now matches H-shifter

Other Updates -
minor changes to suspension
changes to default setup
fuel consumption is now set​

Read the rest of this update entry...

Yes, shifting time is now roughly half of what it was in the previous versions. It's still very very slightly slower than someone who's very quick with an H-shifter+clutch, but the difference should be negligible.
I actually dont mind if i has some kind of disadvantage using no clutch DFGT wheel against H-shifter wheel but still i found this car is much struggle than Lotus 49 whenever i shift up gear. So consider its a good news to me.

By the way which version is actually faster ?? S1 or S/C ??

Thanks first :coffee:

I actually dont mind if i has some kind of disadvantage using no clutch DFGT wheel against H-shifter wheel but still i found this car is much struggle than Lotus 49 whenever i shift up gear. So consider its a good news to me.

By the way which version is actually faster ?? S1 or S/C ??

Thanks first :coffee:

I'd say the S/C on vintage tyres with a suspension set up similarly to the S1's. The gearing of the S1 might work better for certain tracks though.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 296 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.7%