Shark Fin Could be Banned in 2018

shark fin ban.jpg
Shark fins could be banned as early as next season due to the backlash from fans, according to Formula One Race Director Charlie Whiting.

The aerodynamic device which features on every car this season has divided fan opinion. Plenty have called for the device to be scrapped, including F1 boss Ross Brawn, who said the fin takes away from the overall look of the car.

Whiting believes the regulations are likely to be changed next season to outlaw the device.

“Next year, I think there is quite a good chance that that [ban] will be done because quite a few people feel that they are a bit of an unsightly thing,” he said.

“I personally don’t have anything against them, but it was something that was always going to be possible. I think the reaction of everybody wasn’t expected.”

Fans of the “t-wing” could have even less time to admire the aerodynamic device, as those might already be against the current regulations.

The FIA will be conducing checks on the wings at Melbourne, to ensure they pass flexibility tests. The legality of the device came under question when they appeared to bend during testing due to the high cornering forces.

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Should the shark fin be specifically banned? What other “unsightly” body work would you like to see banned? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 228 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 157 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 155 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 218 14.2%