Shadows and other small hassles with Roy Hesketh

Hi chaps, I posted something similar in the WIP thread, but not sure too many people look there as I'm not getting much joy.

This being my first track (Roy Hesketh), I'm a little behind when it comes to 'knowing' how to finish it off.
I will use the knowledge acquired during this project to great effect when starting my next one.

I would estimate Roy Hesketh at around 95% complete now.
I do not know how to do the following to complete my project, so I need all your help:

MAJOR !!! + • Shadows not working, but all objects are set to cast shadow in the xpacker and in BTB properties and for shadow to fall on cars. Big hassle, my shadows are not showing in game or in BTB. I need a big hand with this.

• I have horizon merged photos of the track horizon, but do not understand the 3Dsimed interface to change it - it confuses me. How to take my merged photos and replace the generic one BTB makes?

• Make the terrain/material merge better across polygons, so its not so sharp/BTB edge like. Eg, how to have two types of material merge together without a definite line separating them?

• How to make a small track layout for the in game menu? - not the load screen, the tiny map one.

• Is there a layered PSD format file for the load screens for P&G, GTL, GTR Rfactor etc that one can use, or are the add-ons all custom made?

• Do these classic tracks require start lights if they never had ? I don't think so. I'm not putting start lights in.

• How to get working marshals ?

Thanks for the input guys - it's ultimately for your benefit.

Hi Paul, i can help with one or two of those points mentioned.

If you want, we can chat on MSN and hopefully get you through some of those 'niggles' and get you towards track completion :)

Send me your MSN name (if you have MSN) in a PM and i`ll add you.

• Make the terrain/material merge better across polygons, so its not so sharp/BTB edge like. Eg, how to have two types of material merge together without a definite line separating them?
-------

I *think* people use special 'merger textures' for that. Like having a texture going from asphalt to gravel and then using that on the part with the polygon edge, with the edgeline in the middle, so that it doesn't really show.

Knee - Kris helped me out with a few things especially the shadows. They work, but not 100% yet. It was a matter of adjusting the in game settings to 'high' (although I dont know why other tracks shadows show at the same settings 'medium' or 'low'), and a matter of adjusting the .trk file's sun and latitude coordinates.

Thats the issue I'm trying to resolve, not many run with High shadows because of the hard hit on FPS.
I got a tip on editing the .trk file to add the shadows manually.

This info came from GreyBrad, very helpful.

"Edit the .scn/.trk file with notepad and add the shadows manually.

ShadowCaster=(Dynamic, Solid, 64, 64)
ShadowCaster=(Static, Solid, 64, 64)

Dynamic = also falss on moving cars,
Static = doesn't cast over cars.
64, 64 is the Shadow Quality setting and determines how fine/blocky the shadow is.

Use 16 for things like cones.
32 + 64 for most objects that you want to cast a shadow.
128 + 256 for higher definition, like a foot bridge with railings."

Greybrad View Greybrad's public profile. Send Greybrad an email. Send Greybrad a private message. Show Greybrad's last posts. Show general stats for Greybrad.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back