Setup Saving Coming to R3E

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
RaceRoom Saving Setups 1.jpg

Sector3 Studios have recently started releasing images of upcoming enhancements to RaceRoom Racing Experience in the form of the much needed and highly requested option to save car setups in game.

Curiously missing since the RaceRoom beta first hit the digital shelves back in 2012, saving and loading of car setups is very high on many people's list of 'must have' features in any modern racing title and now the compact Swedish team will be bringing this function - alongside other as yet unannounced features - in the upcoming R3E patch due to hit the game... "soon".

With additional features and updates promised in the upcoming patch, Sector3 had the following to say:

"Our programmers are busy as ever preparing game feature and function improvements for the coming game updates. Right now the focus is on ForceFeedback, car setup functionality, Fuel use and a brand new updated compact Head-Up-Display implementation"

With impressive new content in the form of the Audi Sport TT Cup car, NSU Prinz TTS, Formula RaceRoom 2 alongside previews of the upcoming Formula RaceRoom Junior and Bentley Continental GT3 fans of the title will be pleased to see some new features and functionality on the horizon.

RaceRoom Racing Experience has a long way to go before it can match some of its more developed rivals for in-game features and functionality, but this is another solid step in the right direction for a game that has shown good improvement in the last 18 months. Of course questions are raised as to why such a fundamental feature hadn't been implemented sooner, but better late than never.

RaceRoom Saving Setups 2.jpg

With the planned Force Feedback changes, recently implemented physics updates to some vehicles in-game and of course the upcoming release of the legendary Nordschleife in all it's laser-scanned glory, 2016 is shaping up to be a big year for this sim.

Don't forget to take a look at the RaceRoom Racing Experience forum and Racing Club right here on RaceDepartment.

At long last some much needed new and important functionality is coming to R3E! Are you excited about the ability to save setups in game? Will you be sharing yours in the RaceRoom forum here at RD? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
More content is needed definitely. It's needed to play the spend vRP mini-game.
Well, lets look at the current standings. And beforehand i must say that the figures could be slight different.
PCARS: amount of current cars incl DLC = 109 // amount of current track incl DLC = 42 (without all versions)
R3E: amount of current cars to buy in the store (i count a ADAC 2014 audi and the GT3 Audi as the game does not tell you that you allready own the car) = 90 // amount of tracks = 30 (without all versions)
Bets are open...which game with have the most content at the end of the year. My bet is...Pcars.

More content is needed definitely. It's needed to play the spend vRP mini-game.

No, features is needed... We have alot off cars and tracks now, and ofc im not saying ''we dont need more'' but now the game lack featuers. So choose fuel ammount, choose tires, setup saving, manual pitstop(all of those are confirmed), tire pressure option in car setups, be able to check tire temps, brake temp etc without mods etc etc. Is much more important NOW then new cars and tracks for me.. So I would rather have 1-2 big features updates before they continue on new cars and tracks.

Last edited:
No, features is needed... We have alot off cars and tracks now, and ofc im not saying ''we dont need more'' but now the game lack featuers. So choose fuel ammount, choose tires, setup saving, manual pitstop(all of those are confirmed), tire pressure option in car setups etc etc. Is much more important NOW then new cars and tracks for me.. So I would rather have 1-2 big features updates before they continue on new cars and tracks.

Yes I think the core of the game is very impressive and the amount of choice is very good (for me anyway). I would prefer Sector3 to concentrate on adding in the details that would complete this sim properly, like you mention fuel amount, tyre pressures, etc. Features like this are important but it doesn't bother me too much. Sometimes I like to jump into a car and have a fun race :)

No, features is needed... We have alot off cars and tracks now, and ofc im not saying ''we dont need more'' but now the game lack featuers. So choose fuel ammount, choose tires, setup saving, manual pitstop(all of those are confirmed), tire pressure option in car setups, be able to check tire temps, brake temp etc without mods etc etc. Is much more important NOW then new cars and tracks for me.. So I would rather have 1-2 big features updates before they continue on new cars and tracks.
The two things are not mutually exclusive, the coders are not the same people as the track designers so they can both be working on improvements at the same time. I'm looking forward to the next update because it will hopefully add these things and yes too would be disapponted if they don't. However as Andy Jackson said and I'm glad to say it doesn't stop me having fun with the game in the meantime. I only play it online so I can see where the features really are lacking in single player.

In 3 years, people will get game menus as DLCs and will be happy about it ... i don't understand what's wrong with the simracing community; affording something doesn't necessarely mean that you should close your eyes on b******* Something needs to be done, some devs are really pulling our legs ... let's boycott this s*** .

We used to get much better sims by the past with all features on the first release, now we have new telling us that the prehistoric of saving a setup was added to a 2016 sim.

For some devs, future does not mean progress anymore!

In 3 years, people will get game menus as DLCs and will be happy about it ... i don't understand what's wrong with the simracing community; affording something doesn't necessarely mean that you should close your eyes on b******* Something needs to be done, some devs are really pulling our legs ... let's boycott this s*** .

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed today? :rolleyes:

It seems people choose not to realize that the vision for R3E was much different from the onset than it is right now. Under SimBin, and their publisher RaceRoom, many decisions were made that can now be looked upon as the wrong move. However, at the time, a super hardcore sim is not what they wanted the game to be.

Since Sector3 came into existence, they have continually taken steps to rectify some of the past issues, and have improved the game by a substantial margin. Work continues and features are constantly being added. The future does indeed look bright, even if some may think certain features should have been in from the get-go.

It's a bit of a false comparison to claim R3E doesnt have the same features rFactor 2 does for instance. It never intended to be a hardcore sim. That's a bit like comparing a banana, to a banana split. And being disappointed that the banana doesnt have any ice cream with it (and a cherry on top). Well, the banana never intended to be a banana split... but you can surely add the ice cream to it and make it one ;)

Same with R3E. While it may not have intended to be a hardcore sim with fleshed out features, it is slowly getting there and continually adding features that are wanted by the community :)

r3e has got so much potential that its unreal. I like Assetto Corsa alot but i didnt really get in love with the game. For some reason, every car feels like the same to me. This was not the case with r3e. I fell instantly in love with it. With abit more content, this game could be huge success. These small updates are a good sign. I really hope that the devs will continue to update and make the game grow in every aspect. :)

It's a bit of a false comparison to claim R3E doesnt have the same features rFactor 2 does for instance. It never intended to be a hardcore sim. That's a bit like comparing a banana, to a banana split. And being disappointed that the banana doesnt have any ice cream with it (and a cherry on top). Well, the banana never intended to be a banana split... but you can surely add the ice cream to it and make it one ;)

Same with R3E. While it may not have intended to be a hardcore sim with fleshed out features, it is slowly getting there and continually adding features that are wanted by the community :)

The problem is...the game costs 20 banana split (and counting)... and it's not yet a banana.

After more than 3 years, I'm not sure what is being intended... but if you consider that even pre-historic features worth a celebration, well...

But I agree that they are slowly getting there...
At this pace, they will leave the beta stage around 2020.

We used to get much better sims by the past with all features on the first release, now we have new telling us that the prehistoric of saving a setup was added to a 2016 sim.

For some devs, future does not mean progress anymore!

Times have changed ! ... and the way to create Simracing games has changed also ...
Right direction or not ? ...

Anyway, simracing games creation is now a bit like many television series: ... a lot of following seasons or just 1 or 2 and never sure we'll get the end of the story !

My 2 prefered RRE and AC ... both are missing base functionalities, we see new content but the base seems ( ? ) rather is unfinished. !
Will they be finally finished one day ? ... I begin to have many doubts about that ....
Or ... when they'll come ... everybody will have grown tired of those missing features and turned to other new things.

Whether it's a banana or a banana split, the games core features like saved setups should have precedence over circuits and model development.

As explained by Kenny Paton: Circuits and model development is something completely different from core feature programming. They are as different as a banana and the bowl you put the banana split in.

Although before these anologies make me hungry, it is perhaps a bit weird that setup saving was in there later then gearbox damage (which admittedly is really really good and a lot better modelleed in R3E then in any other sim)

For what it's worth, I do have a reasonable grasp with the processes required for gaming development, MoerasGrizzly. :)

What my statement was in regards to are games in general (I stuffed up with a typo. When I said "the games" I intended "a games"), and having these key features missing in any game from the get go gives one the impression that the games direction and/or resources within a dev team were/are poorly managed.

That said, I could go a mango about now.

Maybe Sector3 could search for parts of source code from titles about 9-15 years ago. It is called GTR2 / GT Legends / Race 06/07 / Race On. All had a decent set of features missing from R3E. Okay graphic-wise it is better now, but that is it :)

Shameful display of development nowadays!

Maybe Sector3 could search for parts of source code from titles about 9-15 years ago. It is called GTR2 / GT Legends / Race 06/07 / Race On. All had a decent set of features missing from R3E. Okay graphic-wise it is better now, but that is it :)

Whatever makes you think that if it was that simple they wouldn't have done it by now. Yes game development nowadays is very different to back then and R3E did not start from a good place but you can't single it out as the only modern game lacking in features or gameplay common in older titles. (Streetfighter 5 I'm looking at you) Graphics and hype are kings today.

If they just had remade GTR2 with R3E graphics and improved net code, a few more stuff on simulation here and there, a bit more 3D animations (maybe pit crew from other cars visible online) I'd feel sorry for ISI and Kunos.

Last edited:
You may not remember but the first Simbin RaceRoom was only online hotlap sim. Sector 3 just continue this old project...it was totally free game so you should not ecpect too much quality then, this free online game was the port to the real simulators...it was easy to try for anybody, it was just a way to try simracing without any costs. Free sim is never perfect...thought.

http://www.sector3studios.com/

About Sector3

Established in 2014 by accomplished developers from SimBin Studios, Sector3 quickly assumed responsibility for the development of RaceRoom and began releasing updates to meet and exceed community expectations for the virtual racing platform.

If they just had remade GTR2 with R3E graphics and improved net code, a few more stuff on simulation here and there, a bit more 3D animations (maybe pit crew from other cars visible online) I'd feel sorry for ISI and Kunos.
Remember that licensing has changed quite a bit since GTR2, no Porsche or Ferrari. Iwould love to have seen GTR 3 or Race 16 but that ain't gonna happen.
As @Kimmo Kokkonen pointed out the game as is was not what was originally planned. What I find pleasing is that even with all its issues it is still great fun to race with.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back