1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Setup Fu Setup Wizard

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Kenny Paton, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Backmarker Champion 2015 & so far this year. Staff Premium Member

I read about this on another forum. Setups are a black art to me. I can't spend enough time running laps and testing before my racing time is up. Even then I never really got into fiddling about under the hood never had the interest. Now if that makes me a "simcade" racer fair enough, but I'm also painfully slow, I have used others setups and it improved my times. My real point is, if any one knows or has tried this or it's previous version could they say if they think it's worth the money?

2. Forum Spy

Forum Spy
    Hey Psst!!

3. Tom

Staff Emeritus Staff

I doubt an application can, ever, replace human judgement when it comes to setups and how a car feels on the track. It might be able to calculate values which are, in theory, better - yet, that doesn't mean they are better on the track.

4. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

inside the little pack of setup helpies there is something similar to the above and its free, as well as a collection of others including Ramon's excellent set up guide
    As Tom has pointed out they calculate values which in theory should be better, but are not always the way to go but they do give you a direction in which to go ..
    So its a start in understanding what to tinker with... and we all love to tinker
    Click me for the collection of helpies in the GTL section
  5. Just like for any car setup, it's always going to be limited by the quality of the driver feedback.

I think the biggest limitation is that it can't tell you it made a change but send you back out on the same setup to give the driver a placebo effect :)
  6. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

Thanks for the replies gents. Rupe I'll get the files and see what I can learn.
    My problem is a health one. I cannot spend to long at the wheel and pedals, that's why I don't do much online racing. So by the time I'd done practice/setup, qualifying I've ran out of time to race. So this seemed like a shortcut.
    Anyway, thanks again all.
  7. Rupe Wilson

Rupe Wilson
    Keep Yoga real Premium Member

@Kenny Paton
    I was intrigued by the gadget you posted a link to. So i thought what the hell lets give it a try
    i bought it cheaper as i had joined a site where you got discount on it.
    So i have it installed and yes it works as they say it does you put in the settings and tell it what the car is doing.
    you get a list of recommendations for things to change.
    i tried the spark f3 in rfactor 2 on a default setting and did 20 laps to get used to the car then told it a was struggling with corner entry oversteer. you have to input the data, quite a tedious thing if you have it installed on the same pc, you either have to flick between the sim and the device or write it all down.
    If you have a lap top lying around it works real sweet, this is what ive done.
    i was told to alter this and that and i did and low and behold it stopped the car form its corner entry oversteer.
    it quite basic not asking if its lift off oversteer or other things
    but does help in setting up a car.
    It is no real improvement on the R2P one in the list iv'e linked to
    it does take all the guess work out of it though to a certain point.
    Will it make you a alien No..
    Is it worth the money, Yes and no, if you don't have a clue what to do with set ups yes
    if you have an idea and prepared to work at it NO
    over time you will find it becomes redundant as your own knowledge builds..
    the one in my list does virtually the same and gets the same results..
    the spark is driving allot better but i had done this stuff before but i had altered maybe to many things..
    small adjustment and test and it does put you in the right direction.
    it does not link up to a sim and do it for you. That would be nice your own race engineer ..:)

Will i keep using it, Well ive paid for it silly not to it does seem to work
  8. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton

Wow Rupe, that is much more than I expected. Thank you for both that report and the files. I've got them downloaded onto my pc so next week I shall see what I can learn.
    My son's currently rattling round Targa Floria and wants me to have a go so there's a Porsche 908 awaiting a setup.

Thanks again:thumbsup: