Sergio Perez moves to McLaren

The only difference between being second driver at Mclaren and being second driver at Ferrari is that Ferrari will verbally announce that they think you're a terrible driver and tell you to get out of the way while Mclaren will keep their opinion to themselves and let everyone else work that out. Either way Sergio is being thrown into the deep end. He doesn't really have any areas where he is better than Button. They both have famously smooth drving styles, they both sometimes struggle in qualifying, and they both are good at managing their tyres. His strong points and his weak points which he demonstrated compared to his team-mate will effectively be cancelled out.

I could be wrong (and I really hope I am), but Perez may not be as good as people think he is. He's a very good driver, but I don't think he is a top driver. First off, he was beaten in GP2 by 16 points to Maldonado, and apart from a couple of podiums, has generally been slower than Kamui, who finished 16th in both his seasons in GP2. Hamilton won GP2 in his rookie season (Perez wasn't competing for the championship in his first year), dominating future F1 drivers Glock and Di Grassi, and beating Piquet who had a whole years experience of GP2. So to put my rant into simpler terms (which I should have done in the first place), Perez is a very good driver, but I don't think he'll ever be able to match the kind of speed Hamilton got out of the car.
It dosen't represent the true driver skill. Because racing it's not only about driver and car. Yes all vehicles in GP2 are same, but all team work and understanding between driver and the team are also very important. All drivers in GP2 can be in similar car, but never in similar condition. In this F1 season Sergio showed that he can do some great job when conditions are good.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back