Sergio Perez: ‘I’m ready for a top team’

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Sauber’s Sergio Perez says he’s ready to race for a top team in Formula One, but today insisted that he respects Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemolo’s restated assertion that he is still too inexperienced to join the Italian squad.

Di Montezemolo first scotched rumours of a move to Maranello for the Ferrari young driver programme member in June and despite Perez racking up a third podium finish of the season in Monza a fortnight ago, the Ferrari boss again said 2013 was too early for the Mexican to partner Fernando Alonso.

“Next season is too early," Di Montezemolo told Sky Sports News in the wake of the Italian Grand Prix. “To put a young guy to Ferrari with the pressure of Ferrari, you need more experience.”

However, as Perez began his preparations for this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix, he told reporters he is ready for a move to a top team.

“In respect of what Di Montezemolo said about experience, I fully respect his opinion,” he said during today’s official FIA press conference at the Marina Bay Street Circuit. “I have to know my position.

“I don't know, because it’s only my second year in Formula One,” he added. “I feel ready to do a good job, to be in a top team, to be able to fight for the title, for the championship, so in that respect I feel ready, but I fully respect his opinion.”

Ferrari, however, may not be the only option for Perez. With Lewis Hamilton’s future at McLaren still undecided, he Mexican racer has recently been linked with a move to the British team. He insisted, however, that the rumours were nothing more than a kneejerk reaction to his good performance in Monza.

“Regarding the McLaren rumour – there are so many rumours around,” he said. “Before it was Ferrari, and now it’s McLaren. Always, when I have a good race, they put me in a different team. The most important thing is to keep doing a good job and try to maximise the car potential for the next races.”
View the Post on the Blog

agreed, too early for Ferrari, I say nore more than 1 more season and then he can expect a move to the top tier level, but for that not only he needs impressive results now, but even better next year, wins could also help him more.

I think the guy is actually ready to take on the Ferrari role. The pressure of being there would keep him in check. He is a special driver, and deserves a shot at a top team like Fezza.

Can't see it, as Bram said, it would mean a chain reaction all leading back to Michael and I legitimately think Michael can challenge for the driver's title if Mercedes deliver a good car, and I think he knows that.

Me too as that would mean that MSC retires.
Heard Schumi could be interested in joining Sauber to close where he started, that could free spot him then. But there's so much change going along with these, Hamilton to Mercedes - Perez to Ferrari - Schumacher to Sauber - Massa, Heidfeld and Kubica are ??? There's so much demand right now and we already have to many cars in the field where you won't look after P16 anyway. GP2 drivers are popping up like mushrooms but only 1 any 3 years or so proves to deserve a spot. Cuts in the LMPs don't help either to give anyone a proper seat.

Tricky to say "you are wrong" to Ferrari boss without piss him off :D
Yeah you have to be very delicate with that situation, say something like "I respect his opinion". IMO I think he could handle a ride at Ferrari at this point in his career, at least he would do better than Massa. If Michael does decide to retire and Lewis stays were he is, maybe Perez to Merecedes

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back