1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sequential shifter, hard choice!

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Hugo Hekkenberg, May 19, 2013.

1. ARC team / Carbon sequential Gear

6 vote(s)
  2. DerekSpeareDesigns / DSD Pro Seq. shifter

9 vote(s)
  1. Hello all,

For a long time i drove my simracing games with the H shifter. I loved the hard work under racing but its no longer realistic. As a fan of GT cars i would like to switch to a realistic sequential shifter. My standard Fanatec seq. shifter is crappy and is resulting in double shifts.

Now, ive seen 2 affordable shifters so far:

1: The ARC team / Carbon sequential Gear - € 217,-

Or the #2: Derek Speare Designs / DSD Pro Seq. shifter - € 124, -

Maybe you guys have some experience with both of these shifters so you can tell me the differences. The shifter #1 is a lot more expensive. The question is: is it worth it?
  2. Alex Ball

Alex Ball
    Web Nerd

I love mine. It's. BMW E39 sequential shifter plugged into a Leo bodnar USB Board. Really solid feeling. Worth a look.
  3. I love mine too. It's an Alfa Romeo Selespeed shifter. It's small and compact but it requires a little more work than the BMW Steptronic in terms of wiring. A few videos of it in action in the RBR Movies section. I have a Frex Shift+ and EC Sim Pro Shift Step 2 as well.
  4. I really enjoy my Frex Shift+. I do not think it should not be in the contention IMO.
    Also, not that I would EVER badmouth anything, nor is this what I am doing but the Derek Speare Sequential doesn't look as though it is as stiff as the Frex. By no means have I had a chance to use one, or been inside of a professional racecar with a sequential shifter to know better, but it just looks to easy. I like a very solid *chunk* feeling.
    Just my stupid opinion. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Go Frex!

Or just make your own, can be more than 15$. I made my own paddle shifters and the cost difference more than made up for the authenticity. Not that they're cheap or un-realistic, there just not 400$ straight out of a LMP2.
  5. [/URL][​IMG][/IMG]

Me waiting for this
  6. Mark Reynolds

Mark Reynolds
    Physics & AI Programmer

Very nice, how much was that shifter mate ?
  7. My guess is the ARC has a bit more sophisticated internal system, where the Spare is a bit more straight forward. I like 1 extra feature of the ARC a lot, that you can adjust the resistance to suit your need.
  8. How about the new Fanatec shifter?
    Combined H and Seq shifter, seems to be FAR better built than the old Fanatec shifters, but they ain't out just yet so you'd have to wait for it to come in stock (and preferably until there's a couple of reviews out too imo).

9. Is the wiring a complex task to get a BMW steptronic shifter to work as a usb device? I need a seq shifter and this looks like a nice option but my electronics skills are non existent.

Will any E39 steptronic shifter work? All else that's needed is a usb controller board and wiring/cables right? Any advice appreciated.

Also, is the sequential mode on the TH8RS actually any good because I'l probably get one anyway for h-pattern cars.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks for the link. It does look rather complicated to be honest, but that might just be the google translation. Guess I'l try to research more into it.
  11. I have the ARC Carbon and it is brilliant. After using the Fanatec and TH8 RS offerings this tramples all over them. I'm chuffed with mine........it makes me complete.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I'd also highly recommend the ARC Carbon. I love the feel of it. And like Richard said it's a big step up from the original Fanatec shifter and TH8 RS.
  13. I settled on a DSD shifter, very solid but mother of god it is loud . . too loud really. I'l need to build a solid metal frame before I can actually mount and use the shifter too, it's that tough :D
  14. I had the DSD and bought a Carbon. Sold the DSD. Carbon cost more, but it feels much better in every way.