Sense of speed?

Is it just me or do the simbin games have a lame sense of speed? I've set all the visual settings to full, still looks soft and slow.

I'm used to rFactor and Netkar, both of which seem to give a better sense of speed.

I'm still waiting for the dvds I ordered of the games so maybe this is just the demos I'm running?

Ross Balfour

#99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs
Depends on what car/ what view you have it in. In cockpit car in say an IFM car, you really sense that you know you are going fast. In amini in swingman view, if doesn't feel fast or look fast, just varies on your choice.

For most simracers, once you are used to the speed of a car, you only sense that yours going quickly if you start taking corners at your limit, wll that's my view anyway.

Paul, have you ever driven 150 MPH in a real car? The sense of speed comes from looking at things that are too close to you to be able to react to. In performance driving I am always looking as far ahead as possible to give me time to react, and doing this makes things appear to be a little slower than they would if you looked right at the pavement in front of your car or beside it.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that the feeling of speed is totally relevant to whom is looking and what views they are looking at.

Points well taken, thanks. :) I know I need to look ahead more, I'm finding it's a hard habit to maintain.

Wasn't meaning to bag on Simbin, I just bought all the games anyway. Really like the heavy rain and the AI seems to be the best for training offline. Runs really smooth on my setup as well on full settings.

For maximum race practice, try setting AI to 105%. With this setting the AI will be running around normal race pace and will be a nice challenge. This should give you practice following and looking for clean places to pass as well as showing you a line if you haven't figured it out yet. Great way to gauge your progress on your driving and setups to make sure you are able to keep up with or at least be close to those you race against.

Practice is one thing, but remember, if you are doing it wrong in practice, your practice won't help you any. Try getting with a faster driver and see if they can make a time trial for you so you know when they are braking and how they are shifting etc. A setup might help as well. The key here though is practice what is right, not just turn laps. Learn the line and practice running that line until just about every lap is the same time. Learn where you are losing time and find a way to improve in that sector. All the fast drivers will tell you "Slow in, Fast out" and this is very true.

What that means is that you do all your braking before the turn, and make sure you don't turn in too early. Get on the throttle as soon as you can and be sure you are at max throttle before you even get out of the turn. Your goal is to try and flatten out the turns, making them as straight as possible and still setting up for the next turn.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 45 10.0%
  • €3001-5000