Selecting components for PC to play Rfactor2 - advise please

Hello guys,

I’m selecting components to build a new computer primarily for the purpose to drive racing games, Rfactor 2 and Asetto Corsa and all the other simulation race games. I want to ask you to give some feedback on the system I chose because I’m completely new at this and it took me a while to figure out what everything means, and I want to check that with others. I wrote down the specs I have in mind, where I want to use it for, what my considerations are, and some specific questions. Any remark or tips are very welcome.

Now I’ve selected the following components:
Processor: Intel i5 4670, s 1050
Motherboard: Asus Z-87k, s 1050
Work Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600 8GB
Harddisk: 2 or 1 TB 3,5inch, think Western Digital Green
Power supply: Corsair CX 600M or CX 750 (haswell certified)
Cooling: Mugen game 3 cooler or Mugen 4
Graphics card: probably MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr Gaming,2GB`(is there a huge difference in the 760’s?)

Computer Case: Corsair 300R or Cooler Master CM 690 II lite

Windows 8

My intention is to keep this hardware for many years, at least 5 years or more, and if I want to upgrade it would be a better graphics card as what I have been reading that is the factor which gives me the most gain when upgrading hardware.

I will be playing on my television, but want to keep the option open for 3 screens.

I am not intending to overclock, don’t know enough about computers to make sure it doesn’t go wrong. On top of that, I expect to have around 80-100 frame rates on my tv screen(correct me if I make a wrong guess), is an increase from overclocking really that much noticeable?

If people can tell me that it increases the frame rates with 20% or more (or another advantage which is noticeable in race games) I might consider to buy the i5 4670k, but would like to hear your opinions. (Based on the gain on Rfactor2 by preference, other games I will be playing from a console)

I picked the 1150 socket over the 1155 socket, because it would give me the option to change the motherboard or processor separately, and not both. With that said, is it realistic to say that in 5 years intel will still be selling the 1150 sockets for their newest components?

I picked the i5 because the biggest difference with i7 is hyper threading, of which a game like RF2 doesn’t really gain performance as it doesn’t use that many cores. So what I figured is that the i5 is almost as good. I7 would only be beneficial if I would do rendering etc.

In the future I want to install a SSD.

-Is this machine I Picked good enough with a possible graphics card update in the future to be playing racing games well over 5 years from now?

-Are the components I selected well matching with each other?

-Can I for instance install the current GTX 780 or other graphics cards that will be released later on, on this machine without me having to buy other components?

- Is an SSD possible to install easily in the future

-Did I make logical conclusions, or would you suggest something else?

-Do I have all the connections and options that are needed to have a good pc for the future?

-Any other stuff that I need to consider?

-Other tips?

Thanks in advance!

Ian, myself and my family have no idea how to do watercooling stuff, and im a amateur for overclocking :p

I think the watercooling is simple enough now, something like a Corsair H80 just clips on the CPU socket like a normal fan, then you attach the radiator to the rear fan hole thingy :coffee:

There is a more complicated way of doing it as well though which is what you might have been thinking of :p

ive got the Corsair H80 it works so good on the cpu, keeps it real cool,
just don't forget to keep the radiator clean, as with any pc components, every month it gets a clean.

My computer seems like a dust magnet.:mad:
don't sit them on the floor also, since ive sat in on a table behind my rig its not as dusty. but you do need to look after them. :)

Ian, myself and my family have no idea how to do watercooling stuff, and im a amateur for overclocking :p

I don;t know how to do overclocking also, but I had seen this video after they started assembling my computer, too late to change, otherwise I would have taken the K-processor, if a motherboard can do it all for you in a safe way I thought it was a reason to consider it again.

Yep I have seen a video how to do it, really easy so will try that indeed. Should add 5-10 frames with my card if I read the reviews. As the Asus is quite cool it is quite suitable for it, it also performes better with the GPU boost, the lower the temp the more boost is available. I'm really excited to try my new computer for the first time, will be a whole new experience:D

The only thing I'll add is get the SSD from the start, it changes the whole PC experience. I have an SSD at home and have to use a normal HD PC at work (which is no slouch) and it's like pouring salt into my eyes the frustration of waiting for the thing to do the simplest tasks. Even right clicking to bring up a menu in windows is noticeably slower at work.

Well I have my PC now for a week, and it feels like I have a completly different game:)

Going from 20-25 framerates to 60 (with v-sync, without it (much) more depending on track and situation) the reaction time and sense of speed is completly different, so I need to practice again to get adjusted to it:D.

I have a single HD TV, and the game works flawlessly with the specs I have.
I will do some framerate tests in the short future, so people know what performance to get from the hardware I bought.
But 2 indications already, with everything maxed out, on silverstone with 25 cars at the start of the race it drops back to 45-50 at the start, but get's back to 60 or more once the field spreads a little.
Another example, Moncao 1966, 25 cars, middle of the night at start it drops back to 35-40, after the cars are spread it's around 55-60 or more.
These are one of the most stressfull situations in the game, and it still copes.
In all other situations I tested so far it never got beneath the 60 framerates with everything maxed out.
I will do some more tests when I have the time, for a better and more consistent feedback on the performance.

Something I want to mention, which made me believe in the first instance that my videocard was broken, was a high pitching sound (coil whine) when rFactor 2 was in it's startscreen, where you can select your car and track etc. Only when v-sync was turned on, it didn't happend.

After searching the internet and Asus, I found out that a lot of games don;t have a maximum of FPS in menuscreens, and can sometimes be 2000 frames per second, depending on the game.
Apparently rFactor2 also has a high framerate in their start menu.
I could fix it with the GPU tweaker from Asus, where I limited the max framerates to 120.
After that, the problem was gone.
Asus first reaction was that it could be that the PSU and the GPU don't work together that well, but I need to reply to them again with the solution I found, to see what they will say about it and if it's more common.
It was new for me, so hopefully you won't be that stressed if it happends to you, at least you have an solution to the problem.:)

Well I have my PC now for a week, and it feels like I have a completly different game:)

Going from 20-25 framerates to 60 (with v-sync, without it (much) more depending on track and situation) the reaction time and sense of speed is completly different, so I need to practice again to get adjusted to it:D.

I have a single HD TV, and the game works flawlessly with the specs I have.
I will do some framerate tests in the short future, so people know what performance to get from the hardware I bought.
But 2 indications already, with everything maxed out, on silverstone with 25 cars at the start of the race it drops back to 45-50 at the start, but get's back to 60 or more once the field spreads a little.
Another example, Moncao 1966, 25 cars, middle of the night at start it drops back to 35-40, after the cars are spread it's around 55-60 or more.
These are one of the most stressfull situations in the game, and it still copes.
In all other situations I tested so far it never got beneath the 60 framerates with everything maxed out.
I will do some more tests when I have the time, for a better and more consistent feedback on the performance.
Silverstone fps, try making your audio fx to 26 and it might fix it. The sound from pits causes fps lag i think?

Something I want to mention, which made me believe in the first instance that my videocard was broken, was a high pitching sound (coil whine) when rFactor 2 was in it's startscreen, where you can select your car and track etc. Only when v-sync was turned on, it didn't happend.

After searching the internet and Asus, I found out that a lot of games don;t have a maximum of FPS in menuscreens, and can sometimes be 2000 frames per second, depending on the game.
Apparently rFactor2 also has a high framerate in their start menu.
I could fix it with the GPU tweaker from Asus, where I limited the max framerates to 120.
After that, the problem was gone.
Asus first reaction was that it could be that the PSU and the GPU don't work together that well, but I need to reply to them again with the solution I found, to see what they will say about it and if it's more common.
It was new for me, so hopefully you won't be that stressed if it happends to you, at least you have an solution to the problem.:)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back