Season 9 - Skin Thread

A word of advice or more likely, a real rule based on real life: Never share doublesized skins! Never ever ever never! Example: i got 512mb video card. I load the largest and costliest of tracks that fit into to game recommendations, load 25 HQ F1 2007 MMG skins and i'm out of video memory. Proven fact. Use doublesize when creating the skin and halve the resolutions before sharing the finished skin with others When RD had it's download section, it was forbidden to upload HQ skins exactly for this reason.

You can use the HQ skin yourself so you get the best possible quality but for other cars, it's an overkill. Your so far away from them that using 2048x2048 resolution is just unecessary (not stupid if you have really good PC and 1gig video then it's stupid not to use them, also if you have some triple-screen setup with huge monitors and godlike resolutions...), other drivers cars are no bigger than 1024x1024 at anytime (wll, if you both crash, flip on opposite sides, slide together so that you roofs will touch, then you might be close enough...

cam=t-cam_yellow.dds
This is what the line should look like.
Maybe Ive made a mistake, which car are you working on?

That is exactly as I did it.
I used the McLaren template.

Kennett Ylitalo said:
not stupid if you have really good PC and 1gig video then it's stupid not to use them, also if you have some triple-screen setup with huge monitors and godlike resolution

That is the kind of rig I am fortunate to have - will try a higher resolution.
But I wonder how the engine scales down for other users if I have a skin that is 2048x2048 - will it have any effect on performance for them?

It doesn't matter what the contents of the texture is, only the name needs to be the same. So if you have HD skin and others have SD with the same names, they will see the normal and you will see HD. The game accepts any resolution that is in powers of 2: 2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048 and so on. It knows how to scale any image to fit, if you have just single color car, you can use 32x32px textures ;) That is the minimum size of texture the game accepts.1024x1024 DXT5 is the default game format and like i explained, it doesn't matter if you have huge machine, others may not have such luck... In fact, everyone with 512mb videocard are in danger of issues and i don't think you want to have someones game crashing in the last corner on your conscience? We had this discussion last season and i don't think everyone understood the magnitude of this so it's nice it came up now that everyone is creating or editing their skins...

That is exactly as I did it.
I used the McLaren template.
Ive checked it and had exactly the same problem, after some research now Im quite sure that its an error within the mod.
There are 10 Mclaren skins in my folder, all have a red tcam, after modifying 4 of them I had to find out that none of the changed tcams showed up ingame, so at least I wouldnt know how to fix this problem.

Reik/Eric,
I have the original files (as I did the skin), and I can either add the crest, or send you the files if you want to do it.
Chris

Hy Chris,

thank you very much for your offer! I hope you don't feel angry that I asked Erik for a skin update. You weren't very active here the last couple of months so I thought you could be too busy in real life. Am I wrong? I feel ashamed now. :redface:

Didn't you send me all the files when I liked to try to add the crest myself half a year ago? I finally failed to do so and then you were so kind to add it for me, do you remember? :rolleyes:

Hey Chris :)
is it a prob if u send me the files with the crest? :) ill try to add some more sponsors and try a few things.
thanks, Erik
ps: email is erha88[at]hotmail[dot]com

Did you receive my e-mail with the (some) files? Thought they are all the required ones.

Btw: You should edit your e-mail adresse to be aware of spam.

Reik,

If I sent you the .psd files then you have everything, but if you just have the dds files, it will be hard to work with.:ninja: If you still need them let me know and I will send them.

Hy Chris,

thank you very much for your offer! I hope you don't feel angry that I asked Erik for a skin update. You weren't very active here the last couple of months so I thought you could be too busy in real life. Am I wrong? I feel ashamed now. :redface:

Didn't you send me all the files when I liked to try to add the crest myself half a year ago? I finally failed to do so and then you were so kind to add it for me, do you remember? :rolleyes:

Did you receive my e-mail with the (some) files? Thought they are all the required ones.

Btw: You should edit your e-mail adresse to be aware of spam.

Reik,

If I sent you the .psd files then you have everything, but if you just have the dds files, it will be hard to work with.:ninja: If you still need them let me know and I will send them.

Thank you very much Chris! Yes you already sent me the psd files in the past (~14 mb or so) -> I forwarded them to Erik. I still hope you don't feel robbed for your hard work, do you?

Do these .psd files also include helmet design?
If not, let me know so I can make .psd files for the rest of the graphics (mainly helmet).

Do you mean in general? As far as I remember I do use the standard yellow helmet from Hamilton, which in my eyes fits the car colours very well...

Do you mean in general? As far as I remember I do use the standard yellow helmet from Hamilton, which in my eyes fits the car colours very well...

What I was thinking is when I look at the .dds files for the mod, I see the ability to make a custom helmet - especially a way to use your own face (mainly eyes) as a texture.
So if you make a transparent visor, you could actually see your own eyes in one of the camera views.

Just something to personalize the game even more.

So are these textures in a .psd file somewhere?
Or do we only have the .dds files?

It's not hard to make own template for helmets, i had to do it that way. There is so little stuff in that DDS that simple wave of Magic Wand should be able to separate the parts.

The reason to make a .psd available to edit, would be to make it easier for other users to do it quickly - without having to manually curve text, wave the magic wand and do the separation of layers to easily add colors.

If you have such templates to upload I would definitively not do it :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 172 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 38.9%